My 1st elk-DIY, Public Land, Colorado

NDHUNTER

I was able to take this bull during the second rifle season in October with an OTC tag. He is a 6x5. It was my first elk hunt so I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to take such a great animal on my first try. I cow called him in on the third morning of the hunt. He was in the dark timber and came out onto the trail @ 143 yds. I was able to drop him right on the trail which made the pack out easier. We were @ 11,000' and had a 4 mile pack out but we had an old logging road to walk down. It wasn't easy but five hours later he was in the back of the truck. He may not be the biggest bull but I know he is going to look great above my fireplace. A great public land hunt that created a lifetime of memories for all in our camp!

Attachments

• Elk Trip-09 069 (Small).jpg
    Elk Trip-09 069 (Small).jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,625
  • Elk Trip-09 071 (Small).jpg
    Elk Trip-09 071 (Small).jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 1,711
Danged fine bull, thats a good one whether it's your first or fifteenth, congrats!

That's awesome ND, I am looking at doing an OTC Colorado hunt this year. Got any pointers for a newbie to Elk hunting, especially backcountry?

Nice job. You're ahead of the curve, getting it done the first time.

I am by no means an expert on the subject considering I have went once. The maps I purchased from the DOW helped out a lot. Having maps showing the public land vs private land was essential. Take as much time as you can before the hunt to scout the areas you want to hunt. We got there 3 days before the hunt and had some great days up on the mountain scouting and finding spots to sit before the season opened. The success rate is only about 10% on a DIY, public land hunt. Percentages can vary from unit to unit but overall it's a tough hunt, but yet very doable. Go into the hunt with realistic expectations. I didn't expect to even fire my rifle based on percentages so I feel very fortunate and lucky to have harvested such a great animal. Good luck to you!

That's awesome ND, I am looking at doing an OTC Colorado hunt this year. Got any pointers for a newbie to Elk hunting, especially backcountry?

I am by no means an expert considering this wasa my first elk hunt. The maps I purchased from the DOW with migraton routes and winter/summer ranges were great. As well as a mpa that showed private vs public land in my unit. We spent three days before the season opened scouting and glassing. Get there as early as you can and spend time on the mountain finding places to set up. Have realistic expactations as well. In the unit I hunted there is a 10% success rate for DIY, public land, OTC tag hunts for bull elk. I didn't expect to fire my rifle so I feel very fortunate and lucky to have harvested such a great animal! Good luck to you!

Sounds like fun! Nothing wrong with a nice 6point like that - you were in CO on an over the counter license.. man, that's gotta be a monster all things considered.. Congrats!

Doing that in CO on an OTC tag, is remarkable, especially a bull of that size, and even more so on your first trip. Congrats on a great bull!

Go into the hunt with realistic expectations. I didn't expect to even fire my rifle based on percentages so I feel very fortunate and lucky to have harvested such a great animal. Good luck to you!

VERY refreshing to read on a outdoor forum. That is why you killed a bull. To many want a easy elk. You did it right. You earned it.

You and I shot matching bulls this year.

P1010535.jpg

Still a funny pic!:D

VERY refreshing to read on a outdoor forum. That is why you killed a bull. To many want a easy elk. You did it right. You earned it.

You and I shot matching bulls this year.

Nice work on your elk as well. They are quite similar! I particularily like the originality the cigarette brings to the picture! I can't compete with that!! Have a good one!

I'm glad you're not taking that bull for granted. A lot of guys hunt hard for a long time before killing one like that.
Congrats

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back