Caribou Gear

One last hunt for my Godfather. Help requested

Sabot

Words can’t explain who this man is to me. He was my dad’s best friend and when my dad died young he became all that a father could be to me. Marine vet. Leader in our church. A rock in our little town.

He turns 80 this year and has battled prostate cancer and won.

While he’s perfectly content to tell everyone his hunting days are behind him, I see the gleam in his eye and hear the longing for one last pull of the trigger.

There’s no way he could do much more than ride out on a side by side and shoot from a tripod.

Public land, DIY is out. Any advice on finding an outfitter who could accommodate an old man on an easy hunt? Money isn’t really an issue.

Might be too much to hope for, but I’d like to do this for him.

Assuming we’re doing an elk hunt since this is posted in the elk thread. I’d look into CO since some outfitters can get landowner tags. Maybe try and narrow your search down to a unit and call the local wildlife office or warden to get outfitter recommendations.

Look into black timber outfitters NM, Al Jamison is a great guy and will work his butt off for you. And I think he's got some tags that would work well for what your needing. They shoot some amazing muleys as well

Look into black timber outfitters NM, Al Jamison is a great guy and will work his butt off for you. And I think he's got some tags that would work well for what your needing. They shoot some amazing muleys as well
I'd highly consider going with Black Timber Outfitters in New Mexico as long as they can get a bull tag during the rut. Or any tag on one of the Indian Reservations with their own experienced guides. The NM terrain is easily hunted by UTV, just confirm your requirements beforehand... so everyone understand. Also, confirm with them if you'll be along for the hunt or if you too will hunt as well. NM has huge bull elk and tame terrain compared to the Rocky Mountain states to the north. Hunting during the rut will afford you guys the opportunity to hear the bugles and really get the big bull experience. Don't delay, for 2024 will fill-up fast. Checkout several outfitters and references. Obtaining the bull tag during the rut is key. I wish you and your God father the best of luck my friend!!

Shelton Ranch in Colorado is an easy blind hunt on alfalfa fields. It was featured on the show wilderness journal. You can watch those episodes and see exactly what he would be getting into.

Keep us posted. This is a story I’d definitely follow close.

Jeepers that is a hell of a plan you have there. I’ll be following. With a once and done for a lifetime kind of hunt I would second going to Africa. My hunt there last year was with an outfit that owned or controlled one million acres, all of it open range, no high fences. Could have killed multiple animals every day had I wanted to spend the money. I hunted 10 days, came home with 10 animals for about what you’ll pay for a ranch hunt for elk.
In any event good luck with this endeavor, he must be a hell of a man.

Not sure if you're looking for a bull elk or if cows are fine as well? I'd recommend at least a conversation with Joseph Graham of Graham's Guide service in Ruidoso NM. Is a certain state preferred? If traveling isn't an issue, I'd look into Africa as others have suggested. There is certainly something magical about an African safari and the variety of animals that can be seen. Best of luck and please keep us posted.

Jeepers that is a hell of a plan you have there. I’ll be following. With a once and done for a lifetime kind of hunt I would second going to Africa. My hunt there last year was with an outfit that owned or controlled one million acres, all of it open range, no high fences. Could have killed multiple animals every day had I wanted to spend the money. I hunted 10 days, came home with 10 animals for about what you’ll pay for a ranch hunt for elk.
In any event good luck with this endeavor, he must be a hell of a man.

Do you have a link for that outfit, I d be interested in doing something like that after blowing 7k in a bs AK transporter in a ten day no caribou hunt.

To clarify, I think he’d really like a bull. He’s killed mule deer and never expressed much interest in an antelope. He’s got chronic bladder issues from the chemo, but he can make a slow easy drive from Texas to New Mexico or Colorado. He doesn’t handle elevation well anymore so maybe New Mexico makes sense. I will follow up the suggestions posted and keep y’all posted.

It’s still a long shot, but I want to at least make an effort.

To clarify, I think he’d really like a bull. He’s killed mule deer and never expressed much interest in an antelope. He’s got chronic bladder issues from the chemo, but he can make a slow easy drive from Texas to New Mexico or Colorado. He doesn’t handle elevation well anymore so maybe New Mexico makes sense. I will follow up the suggestions posted and keep y’all posted.

It’s still a long shot, but I want to at least make an effort.
You'll have to be quite selective where you hunt if you don't want altitude in NM. Be sure you discuss that with any outfitters you contact. Albuquerque is at 5300', Santa Fe at 7000', lowest altitude in the state is just over 2800'. NOT trying to rain on the parade, but make sure the outfitter knows of the limitations.

David
NM

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back