Muzzlebrakes

I have one on my 300 RUM not because im a sissy but so i can put lots of rounds through it at the range without the possibility of developing a flinch. The noise is definitely a factor to consider but i generally try to use ear plugs if the situation allows it. In all honesty shooting any gun with or without a break can be damaging to your hearing, granted breaks are way worse. All factors considered i really like my break and i would not have the gun any other way.

Loud as hell but they work. I don't currently have one but really think anything under a 375 H&H you don't need one.

Cracks me up too, I am with you b-d, but ToadSlayer asked those that hunt with breaks, so will keep my comments to myself.

I've always figured if you need a brake to shoot a heavy recoiling rifle accurately, you need to shoot a rifle with lesser recoil. For hunting rifles anyway. mtmuley

Funny brake story.... A buddy had a problem with a muskrat digging holes in the dike of his farm pond. The dude pulled out his rifle with a break on it and rolled up his jacket as a shooting pad and laid it on the hood of his Dodge truck. He pulled the trigger and was hit in the face by a bunch of stuff, and after the recoil looked to see the one foot spot of paintless primer showing on the hood. The brake put the blast out the bottom or the gun and took the paint right off the hood. Now that is funny

I've always figured if you need a brake to shoot a heavy recoiling rifle accurately, you need to shoot a rifle with lesser recoil. For hunting rifles anyway. mtmuley

Tend to agree...had a 300 wby mag, a MK V so it wasn't a light rifle. I'm 6' 210 and that sob rocked me. So bad I squeezed the trigger with the safety on once and almost jumped off the bench. Got rid of it rather than brake it....& went to a 300 short mag. No flinch. Have a few 300 win mags and a 7 rum...none of em come close to the punch that wby mag hit me with.

Forget the muzzle breaks and go for a silencer. You get reduced recoil and noise all in one package. Just wish they were legal to hunt with in Montana.

I hate recoil with a passion, it takes all the fun out of shooting large caliber rifles for me,and that includes my trusty old "06" Call me a wus if you will , my new Savage 300 WSM has a break on it. I put 40 rounds through it first time on the bench.. I will never,never own another large caliber rifle with out a brake!! I use plugs and muffs on the range and try to in the field, My bull this year was dropped "unplugged" didn't even notice the sound, though my ears probably did. With ten years of shooting competition, my ears are shot anyway, I used poor hearing protection back in my younger days..all I can say is,a muzzle brake gave me my shooting passion back... to each his own

Last edited:
They are loud, the times i have shot rifles with them I hated them. I have a 300RUM without one and id rather just take the beating...

I mostly shoot a 7mm rem mag - probably the mildest of the common magnums. For practice I load it down to the .270 level - recoil and noise are both significantly reduced.

I mostly shoot a 7mm rem mag - probably the mildest of the common magnums. For practice I load it down to the .270 level - recoil and noise are both significantly reduced.

What are your point of impact discrepencies? If any.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jjoner
Back