Muzzlebrakes

Toadslayer

You guys hunting with brakes on your rifles, are they as loud as everyone says they are when shooting an animal? Or is it tolerable without earplugs?

A little soreness in your shoulder goes away. Your hearing damage is permanant.

I know a few operators who would disagree with you.;)

"Operators" ???

I don't know what that is referring to.

I do know the OP is asking about hunting rifles. I'm not talking about long range .50 cals that someone is carrying for antelope.

Scenario: Hunter has .270, can't hit elk at 400 yards. Hunter is bad shot. Hunter moves to .300 Wby to hit elk at 400 yards but hunter needs break to shoot it. Hunter is sissy.

I have one on a 300 WSM. It reduces recoil for sure but I would never think of pulling the trigger without ear protection. If the gun wasn't so great and the economy so bad, I would probably swap it for a non recoil type.

I have brake on my 300. It's loud for sure but I have no complaints and wouldn't change it. FWIW, I qualified as rifle expert 5 times in the Marine Corps, not sure where that puts me on the sissy or bad shot scale.

Anything bigger than a 300 win or wsm I'd personally use one and be super diligent about hearing protection for myself and anyone near, especially at the firing range.

Looking at buying a .308 for my son & daughter, and yes I will have a muzzlebrake installed.

I already get hearing aids from the VA so its a little late for me :D

I have brake on my 300. It's loud for sure but I have no complaints and wouldn't change it. FWIW, I qualified as rifle expert 5 times in the Marine Corps, not sure where that puts me on the sissy or bad shot scale.

With a .223?

Muzzlebreaks are simply to loud to shoot without hearing protection even when hunting, they are a very nice reduction in recoil. Have shot rifles with and without them, very nice to use at a rifle range, other than for everyone else around you. JMHO, will never own a rifle with a break.

I don't really notice it when shooting at an animal sometimes I try to use ear plugs if I have time to put them in before the shot to save some hearing. On the flip side I shoot my 7mm STW much better matter of fact don't think I would hunt with that gun without it.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back