Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

MT Season Extension ?

RockyDog

Overall its been a warm and dry big game season in montana in some places.

Anyone heard any grumblings of FWP extending the season again so that the bulls that were wiley enough to survive 5 weeks of general season can come down and get slaughtered on their winter range in December?

Haven't heard anything besides people like yourself who're just curious. Don't see why they would.

From what I've read, the harvest numbers have been pretty good in most areas. I'm pretty sure last I looked region 2 and 4 have had good season's compared to the last few.

At the processor on Saturday, the owner said they've had WAY less deer brought in than normal this year. I thought this was odd as deer numbers seem to be doing great around here.

Randy11, after a decade of doe B tags, unlimited B whitetail, region wide tags, our deer are in trouble on public lands. Where the lead poison didn't take place the deer still thrive. Problem is I don't hunt private. Actually the Elk kill in the south bitterroot is down. With either sex seasons a thing of the past (due to the mash em up Vore era). (Wolves, lions, bears) our elk numbers have decreased in some places dived. It will get worse before it gets better I'm afraid. We have a great Bio down here now, (if we can keep him from leaving), we'll have to get use to some restrictive seasons to turn this thing around.

Good for Montana sticking to it this year, the last couple years tons of Idaho hunters have been wanting extensions since Montana has done them. Whiners!

Randy11, after a decade of doe B tags, unlimited B whitetail, region wide tags, our deer are in trouble on public lands. Where the lead poison didn't take place the deer still thrive. Problem is I don't hunt private. Actually the Elk kill in the south bitterroot is down. With either sex seasons a thing of the past (due to the mash em up Vore era). (Wolves, lions, bears) our elk numbers have decreased in some places dived. It will get worse before it gets better I'm afraid. We have a great Bio down here now, (if we can keep him from leaving), we'll have to get use to some restrictive seasons to turn this thing around.

The area I hunt is lumped in with the root units, even though its not part of the valley.
The elk herd that I killed my bull out of has dropped from 450 on the winter range in 2004 to just a little over a hundred this last winter, and is part of the area where the cow permits have been all been eliminated. I know all about the situation these elk herds are in.

However, and the winter surveys aren't as near accessible or accurate as elk so this is just in my experience, the deer seem to be doing great. I've probably passed on 20 four point or better whitetail this season on public land, and another 15-20 muleys, while almost exclusively targeting elk.

I just really can't see how anyone in region 2 who wanted a nice buck, couldn't just go out and shoot on, which is why it seems strange to me that the harvest numbers are low.

My buddy knocked this guy over on public land in region 2 on Sunday.
picture.php

Maybe the whitetail are doing a lot worse in the Root, but people definitely don't have to go far to find em.

Completely agree on our elk population, something needs to happen soon before they REALLY crash.

I just really can't see how anyone in region 2 who wanted a nice buck, couldn't just go out and shoot on, which is why it seems strange to me that the harvest numbers are low.

I hunt mainly in the Root, and our deer population is way down. If you want a buck down here good luck, you'll need it. I know a buddy of mine that has a private ranch in Miller creek and the deer there are a fraction of what they were a decade ago. That area is closer to where you hunt. The whitetail bucks killed this year is way off in region 1, 2, and 3, that usually means the population has decreased.

Great buck your buddy has.

Last edited:
Man, i'm sure glad the FWP pulled their head out and didnt allow any extensions. Holy geezuz, how can a person not kill an elk in 5 damn weeks! The people that don't, TYPICALLY just don't want to put in any effort which is why they sit and whine to FWP wanting these stupid ass extensions so they can go slaughter elk on the winter range. Pathetic.............

The whitetail bucks killed this year is way off in region 1, 2, and 3, that usually means the population has decreased.

Been reading the harvest reports and you're right, way down.
I guess I just need to be thankful that my little areas haven't been affected as bad as the rest of the region.

Wow, that's an awesome whitetail. Coordinates, please. ;)

Four miles East of where my bull died. Three miles up the second gate on the right past the shitter. Does that work?

Actually probably scores really close to your buck. The picture's deceiving, only has a 16.5 inch outside spread.

Back