Caribou Gear

MT residents thoughts on Steve Bullock

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO the real issue on this thread is what are we going to do? As a minimum, Bullock seems to be the least bad option on both sides of the fence, so I plan on sending him a contribution, recommending that my wife do the same, and voting for him in any polls that I come across.

Yeah, I have reservations about some of his positions, but I don't see anyone better at this point. And yes, he is a long shot.

Horse pucky...
A vacuum formed for MT Governor when Bullock placed his name in the hat as a Presidential candidate. This same parallel Hunt Talk discussion occurred when Zinke was being considered for DOI Sec. It was not specific to Zinke and Zinke alone... however, I digress. 🙄

Bullock vs ? Trump, less contended... For some reason, as an Independent, that sounds much better than Warren, Harris, Sanders or Biden or the countless other wing-dinger Democrats vying for President.
I didn't vote Trump nor Clinton last election. First write in ever. However, I'm not near as ill thought of Trump as before and further bolstered support of him due to Democrats non stop whimpered piss poor collective failed actions against Trump.
If it was Bullock v Trump...? It would be Dem's first reasonable decision made in quite a while. Time will tell, though would be a good move.

I was planning to wright up a nice review of Bullock and how I thought he would be a good man for the public land sportsman, Better than Biden and have the best chance of beating Trump. Just never got around to it. I will not be now.
Once in a wile I will look at other hunting web sights and I found a post on Bowsite that disturbed me. The post is by Muleysareking in the Court Picks Indians vs WY elk thread. I would post a link if I was more tech savvy. In a nut shell the post states that the head of MT FWP enforcement and Legal are throwing in the towel on the treaty rights case. I have confirmed this with two rank and file FWP employees and it sounds like many of FWP rank and file are fit to be tied. There is no way this is just coming down form the top of FWP. Policy like this almost certainly is made with the approval of the Governor. After all the buck stops at the governors desk.
I don't have hi hopes in the negotiations with the Tribe and am skeptical if WY's approach is the prudent one. I am however certain that capitulating to Crow's right now is the wrong thing to do. If Bullock is unwilling to even try to negotiate for the most basic of conservation measures like wanton waste and elimination of night hunting can he be trusted on other conservation issues if there are votes to be had on the other side.
Those of you in Iowa can vote how you like. Because of this policy this Montanan will giving the CO candidates and hard look even though it likely will not matter. It is also likely to effect how I vote in the state wide races and there it will count.

I was planning to wright up a nice review of Bullock and how I thought he would be a good man for the public land sportsman, Better than Biden and have the best chance of beating Trump. Just never got around to it. I will not be now.
Once in a wile I will look at other hunting web sights and I found a post on Bowsite that disturbed me. The post is by Muleysareking in the Court Picks Indians vs WY elk thread. I would post a link if I was more tech savvy. In a nut shell the post states that the head of MT FWP enforcement and Legal are throwing in the towel on the treaty rights case. I have confirmed this with two rank and file FWP employees and it sounds like many of FWP rank and file are fit to be tied. There is no way this is just coming down form the top of FWP. Policy like this almost certainly is made with the approval of the Governor. After all the buck stops at the governors desk.
I don't have hi hopes in the negotiations with the Tribe and am skeptical if WY's approach is the prudent one. I am however certain that capitulating to Crow's right now is the wrong thing to do. If Bullock is unwilling to even try to negotiate for the most basic of conservation measures like wanton waste and elimination of night hunting can he be trusted on other conservation issues if there are votes to be had on the other side.
Those of you in Iowa can vote how you like. Because of this policy this Montanan will giving the CO candidates and hard look even though it likely will not matter. It is also likely to effect how I vote in the state wide races and there it will count.
I question the elasticity of your "buck stops at the governors desk" stretch regarding this very specific hunting issue. It inserts a jumped-to-conclusion in an otherwise much more broad perspective of Bullock's candidacy potential.

(Picky, picky ... I realize, but a quick spellcheck would strengthen your analysis.)

Last edited:
Didn’t he cave on the grizzly issue as well with Montana stating they would not have a season after delisting?

Didn’t he cave on the grizzly issue as well with Montana stating they would not have a season after delisting?
'Sorry, but compelled to be picky again. That was not a decision which came from the Governor's desk. There were many entities collaborating and agreeing on that issue, primarily FWP, but also others. I'm not certain, but would suspect that the Governor concurred. However, to characterize the Montana decision on a grizzly hunt as the Governor "caving" is not accurate nor reasonable.

I question the elasticity of your "buck stops at the governors desk" stretch regarding this very specific hunting issue. It inserts a jumped-to-conclusion in an otherwise much more broad perspective of Bullock's candidacy potential.

(Picky, picky ... I realize, but a quick spellcheck would strengthen your analysis.)

Along these same lines with Bullock. When a game warden in Havre was detained by the tribe while on a COUNTY ROAD Bullock stood with the tribe as well. It was a bullshit deal where the game warden was traveling down a road that runs through the reservation at times, and their LO boxed in the Game warden for roughly 6 hours. Bullock made it clear that the GW was not to have any further dealings with the tribe and was not allowed to patrol that road. Bullock is not going to do anything that may cause him to lose votes from some of the minorities. He has done some great things with bi-partisan support but he (just like every candidate) has his flaws.

Of the things I like about Bullock, anything to do with wildlife is certainly not one of them.
Look what his FWP commission has been doing to elk since Bullock gave Mr Galt a reach-around in his private helicopter.

Of the things I like about Bullock, anything to do with wildlife is certainly not one of them.
Look what his FWP commission has been doing to elk since Bullock gave Mr Galt a reach-around in his private helicopter.
But he wears a public land owner hat and “is one of us” man!

I do agree, Gomer. It's been better when he leaves the wildlife decisions to others and merely follows recommendations.

But you and I are not in the majority of hunters who really support the shoulder slaughters.

I remember what real Governor influence looks like on an agency. Schweitzer was notorious for it. Bullock by and large has done exactly what people asked him to do: Let the agency make the decisions and stay out of it to the greatest degree possible.

I think he's done that over the course of his tenure; whether or not you agree with the agency is another thing entirely. The Galt press op was unfortunate. But it's been Bullock who stood up against the transfer of public lands, who's advocated better access funding, who created a workable plan related to sage grouse conservation that balances the needs of the bird with the industries who want to work in those habitats, who has worked to increase funding sustainability within the agency and who has appointed a great director.

If we keep waiting for perfect to show up, we're going to continue to piss away what we have as the other folks continue their push for freedom molecules while eliminating the very rules and laws that protect our wildlife and hunting opportunity.

Like the grizzly decision mentioned above?

Which is a non factor. They could have gone to the work of setting up seasons, only to watch them go on hold. I fail to see any damage done by saying “were going to watch this play out for a year or two”.

I’m no FWP defender, but I don’t see this as being worthy of a mention.

How did Wyoming’s grizzly season pan out?

I find if hard to believe the the governor was not involved on a decision of this scope. After all this in not a simple management issue. The Governor can correct a poor decision but if a few people at the top of FWP can make this type of policy than we have leadership issues at the top that can not be fixed.

I know, I am a pathetic speller, 4.0 in upper level economics classes at MSU and would make Dan Quayle look like a genius when it comes to spelling.

I know, I am a pathetic speller, 4.0 in upper level economics classes at MSU and would make Dan Quayle look like a genius when it comes to spelling.

BTW, I know of other brilliant minds who expressed with pathetic spelling. 'Not a criticism per se; just a suggestion to improve your otherwise good opinions.

Which is a non factor. They could have gone to the work of setting up seasons, only to watch them go on hold. I fail to see any damage done by saying “were going to watch this play out for a year or two”.

I’m no FWP defender, but I don’t see this as being worthy of a mention.

How did Wyoming’s grizzly season pan out?
I guess I’m in the minority that thought setting up a state managed hunt of grizzlies after delisting was the right call. Not having a season calls into question whether their intent is to ever have a season. Is Montana helping fight this again? Or are they hoping Wyoming and Idaho fight for them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back