Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

MT Ram

Have spent 65 days in the unit looking for sheep, 30 nights sleeping on the ground, and have lost 24 lbs. spent one last weekend in the place I really wanted my ram to come from, did a near 30 mile loop and saw no sheep. They have moved and one nice ram has been taken that I know of down low. I’m a highway 191 guy from now till the end and realize even 1/4 mile or 3 miles from the highway, might be hard for me to find the kind of sheep I’d like. It’s been snowing. Yesterday there was only 6-8” up higher & I'm sure it’s knee deep now and still stacking up. 3rd time I’ve said the last time, but this was really the last time.

I’m no sheep hunter so when I stumbled upon this ancient east facing rock structure at 10,320ft yesterday morning- I stood in it and yelled “Give me a bighorn ram!!” Can see this rock semi-circle on google earth even..
There are a number of them, more than a single course high though, on top of Froze To Death Plateau. There, I believe they are campsite windbreaks built by Granite Peak climbers.

The one in your photo, do you think it actually is what I assume you are implying by saying it is ancient?

It sucks that you didn’t get your ram in the high country setting you wanted to, especially after the effort expended packing in the Hopzone, but I have little doubt that you will get a nice one before season ends.

Beautiful pics, but it sounds like you need a little break. Lots of season yet. Just don’t forget to enjoy it. You’re still that lucky SOB with a sheep tag in his pocket.
No break needed unless you count a CO mule deer hunt and my daughters 1st elk hunt. I only have to work 4 days in November during hunting season.

Regarding unlimited - no thanks. Have always enjoyed meat and potatoes stuff (deer, elk, antelope). This is my sheep year. I’d be 60 when I could try and wouldn’t be excited for all the competition for typically small rams.

@shines@times google vision quest structure.

Have spent 65 days in the unit looking for sheep, 30 nights sleeping on the ground, and have lost 24 lbs. spent one last weekend in the place I really wanted my ram to come from, did a near 30 mile loop and saw no sheep. They have moved and one nice ram has been taken that I know of down low. I’m a highway 191 guy from now till the end and realize even 1/4 mile or 3 miles from the highway, might be hard for me to find the kind of sheep I’d like. It’s been snowing. Yesterday there was only 6-8” up higher & I'm sure it’s knee deep now and still stacking up. 3rd time I’ve said the last time, but this was really the last time.
The first snow is nerve racking and mentally draining. The degree of difficulty ratchets up quite a bit. I totally get that. Last year, I shot my ram with 5 days left in the season. I was freaking out. You have a ton of time on your side and you still have the rut ahead of you. It'll happen my man, even if it happens down low, it'll happen and it'll be SwEeT!!!

5q5bbw.jpg

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back