Caribou Gear

MT Elk Down

TrumpkinTheDwarf

My body is in Texas, but home is Big Sky Country
I'm not feeling very flowery and effusive this evening, so bear with me. I won't say I picked a dumb place to shoot a raghorn, but it was kinda dumb to shoot something 2000' above the trailhead on day two of being at any elevation greater than sea level. Hence the lack of flowery and effusive. I blame @EYJONAS! for saying something like "how eager are ya? It's f*&%#@ steap..." while corresponding about a potential elk spot. I got all fired up, thinking my legs could tackle any mountain God decided to throw at them.

Facts learned since Monday:
1. quad cramps can cut short the most enthusiastic attempt to climb 3400' on day one at elevation. In my case after 1400', I'm afraid to say.
2. raghorns are just as difficult to cut up solo as a 6x6 bull. Especially on a super steep slope.
3. I am not as tough as I think while reading maps, but I'm tougher than my legs tell me after 2k' of elevation gain on day two.
4. Old rifles still kill things, especially if they're a .30 cal sending 168 gr Barnes TTSX. No pretty mushroom pictures on passthroughs.
5. I really need a hunting buddy. Packing half an elk out on your back SUCKS.
6. My grandpa is a badass who will still drop everything to come finish up a packout with me.
7. I dunno where guys keep getting 200+ lbs of meat off elk. Please send coordinates. We brought out 135 lbs of boned out meat.
8. Thanks to @Greenhorn and @Eyjonas for assuring me my scouting and hunt plans were indeed sane and worthy of executing.

Pictures:
IMG_3086.jpg

IMG_3114.jpg
IMG_3118.jpg
IMG_3120.jpg
IMG_3093.jpg
IMG_3126.jpg

Congratulations! Sounds like you earned it. Did you use your Bugout to cut up that bull? I have one in my pocket at all times and love it, but it seems like it’d be pretty light for that kind of job.

Great job! Can you tell us a little about the history of your rifle?

Thanks
It was my great grandfather's. It's a model 70 in 30-06AI, with a custom stock, and was handed down to me when I was 12 years old.

This is a poem of questionable decisions and delicious rifles. You get the stars of the Ming Quadrant. Huzzah!
I'm honored! I think...

Congratulations! Sounds like you earned it. Did you use your Bugout to cut up that bull? I have one in my pocket at all times and love it, but it seems like it’d be pretty light for that kind of job.
Yep! Broke the whole bull down with no issues, and it still will barely shave hair. Never felt like I needed "more" knife. But then again, I grew up with a two blade trapper, so I like smaller blades.

Love the heirloom rifle. Pretty sure there aren't too many true elk hunters alive who haven't seriously wondered WTF did and I do and WTF did I choose to do it.

Good work.
Hahaha! I saw the bull and my first thought was "do I really want to shoot one here?" followed by "If you won't shoot a bull 1.5 miles from the truck, all downhill on the packout, you can't call yourself an elk hunter"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back