Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

MT Elk Down

Keep in mind that there can be considerable size difference in elk. Only one I ever had weighed was a big cow I shot on the third fairway of a golf course. The two halves skinned and hanging at butcher's weighed 440 lbs. I shot an absolutely huge bull in 1980 that filled the back of my stock truck. Dad took a photo of me carrying one front quarter to the saw. It looked like I was hoisting half a pool table top. The horns were probably the most edible part. A shame. One shot to the back of the head = no meat lost. Even the hamburger was chewy. Yours should be very tasty.
1980 bull.JPG
This bull was 1.25 miles from skid road. All downhill (most of it VERY downhill) and I got him out whole ... by myself. Key was keep him moving so he didn't have a chance to stiffen up. I used the horns as lever to pull him over deadfall.

Nice. Is that a Benchmade Bugout? What do you use to sharpen it with?

Hahaha! I saw the bull and my first thought was "do I really want to shoot one here?" followed by "If you won't shoot a bull 1.5 miles from the truck, all downhill on the packout, you can't call yourself an elk hunter"
The man who answers that question any other way than you did has either; (a) shot a lot of elk and doesn’t feel the need to shoot another, or (b) never shot an elk and probably never will.
Getting one down is the first concern. How to get him out is something to be figured out after the first part is taken care of.
Regretting the consequences of those priorities is part of elk hunting. And then you do it all over again the next time.
Some people learn from their mistakes. Other people remain elk hunters.

Regretting the consequences of those priorities is part of elk hunting. And then you do it all over again the next time.
Some people learn from their mistakes. Other people remain elk hunters.
I thought I was learning that I need to do more stairs in the offseason so I can make it at least a little ways further up the mountain by daybreak next season...

guess I'm still an elk hunter!

Back