MT archery elk - We're baaack!

The elk came out on private, closer to our camp than where Troy saw them last evening. Seemed strange to sleep on the rocks when the elk were as close to camp as they would be to our rock nest. So, we put on the headlamps and came back to camp.

Never thought a dinner of PBJ and pepperoni sticks could taste so good. Drank a few gallons, well, maybe not gallons, of water in the last ten minutes. Want to crash and get some sleep.

Good news is the elk were moving closer to our camp, and if they plan to hit the timber before it gets to hot, the best place is within a mile of camp. Takes over two miles to get there, but better than where we were most of today.

Someone told us to watch out for rattle snakes. Seems Troy was on the lookout. When he was leading, we found one right away. I probably walked past a few of them, but my hearing is so bad I probably did not realize they were there. This one needed a few pictures. Amazing how well they blend into this dying grass.

Needed to bring my shotgun. The number of blue grouse is amazing. Gonna shoot one with my bow if the chance arises.

Even though I am toast, I have a good feeling about tomorrow. We better get it done, as the warning of more people in this small area, along with what I see in the weather forecast, makes it look pretty bleak for the weekend.

Heard no bugles on our way back to camp, but keeping my fingers crossed that they will strike up the band tonight. I do have a cow tag, so they best not feel too secure in coming within my range. Same goes for raghorns. By Monday morning, maybe even spotted calves.

Damn, this is fun. Not many people are camped out on the public lands, resting their feet after a long day of hiking. Glad to live in a country where I can do this stuff. Can't imagine living in some city/state/country where there was no such thing as public hunting.

Well that's it. I'm officially glad I'm not sneaking around it that grass. I'd be scurrying up on top of your pack Fin before you could say snake.:eek: I'd ride in a helicopter in 50 mph winds any day over hunting in snake country.

Well that's it. I'm officially glad I'm not sneaking around it that grass. I'd be scurrying up on top of your pack Fin before you could say snake.:eek: I'd ride in a helicopter in 50 mph winds any day over hunting in snake country.

That's funny!!! Talking with a local last weekend, when I mentioned a lot of snakes, he laughed and said they have removed over 40 in their summer range pastures this year.

Don't think for a minute that there are not any to the north. LOL

Good luck Randy and Troy!...I want to know who bought the groceries?....Troy gets awful upset about the MRE's you love so much!...get the big one (or cow) tomorrow!

Trust me we each brought our own food. All randy has eaten so far is pb&j. Ran into a bruiser this morning but couldn't get the wind to cooperate. After 3 hrs of tromping thru the lumber we are finally chilling for a bit.

Sounds amazing, reliving our hunt together in my head right now. Keep putting on the miles you'll get him. Bring some extra damn water uncle! Don't want ya dying chasing the tank down.

Randy, We finally got some response from some bulls but still early. What's happening on the hill?

Sorry for the delays. Followed Hank and his gals to there bed. Spent most the day waiting for a good wind. Never came. Can't afford to spook them. They are the boundary. I hope they come back to the same area this evening. We are now set up where we have some options if he comes this way. If he makes a few calls like he did this morning, we can get set up in front of them. He is a good one, for sure.

Will provide an update after dark.

Good luck Randy. I missed a chip shot a one this morning. Can't afford to screw up when you have a chance at elk. 26 yards is all. I'm sick to my stomach about it. By the way that new bow is real fast you should of seen that arrow sail over it's back.:(

I want to see some kill shots tonight.

Sorry to hear that! I almost unloaded my oysters, cream cheese and crackers when I read this. Hang in there and get back on them.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back