MT archery elk - We're baaack!

Sitting right above where Troy saw the elk file out last night. Got a screwed up east wind right now, so I am waiting until it switches to the west. Only way in there is from the east. Don't want to go in with the wind at our back.

Food, water, shade. No wonder they like this spot. Plus, about as far away from our camp as you can get and still be on public. Just the right place to shoot a bull.

Awesome report and update. Good luck. So are they sounding off there Big Fin? Good luck to you guys, have an awesome day.

Settled in for the heat of the day. On the trail they will take to this water hole when they come to drink. Biggest challenge will be keeping Troy in food. Not even noon and he had plowed through more than I east in a day.

Might sleep over here tonight, rather than hike 4.5 miles back to camp tonight, then do the same thing in the morning. Sure won't freeze to death. Might run out of water, but I have suffered through worse in pursuit of lesser game.

Might sleep over here tonight, rather than hike 4.5 miles back to camp tonight, then do the same thing in the morning. Sure won't freeze to death. Might run out of water, but I have suffered through worse in pursuit of lesser game.

I like your thinking Randy.

If you or Troy think the lucky white gloves might help, I can pull them out early and send them to you? Just let me know.;)

I like your thinking Randy.

If you or Troy think the lucky white gloves might help, I can pull them out early and send them to you? Just let me know.;)

How funny. Troy was just talking that he was almost excited as Buschy, and how certain it would be to kill an elk if we had the magic glove.

hope some elk come your way. your post about sleeping out overnight made me think of the rich men or women that will be sleeping in their cozy houses and can come up at any time and hunt the same spot that you are cold camping. what a disparity.

10 miles a day is pretty average for that place. Sounds like you are on the south east end. Good luck and be safe. You are really on your own in there.

Rocky boy I'm working in the boiler plant today if you want to come over and say hi.

10 miles a day is pretty average for that place. Sounds like you are on the south east end. Good luck and be safe. You are really on your own in there.

Rocky boy I'm working in the boiler plant today if you want to come over and say hi.

Yup. Not sure what the deal is with vehicle tracks all over some of these spots.

Doubting this plan. Might go northwest and see what is there. My boots were made for walkin'.

The vehicle tracks could be from FWP or BLM vehicles. The Wilks Ranch allows wardens/rangers access for patrolling purposes I believe.

The vehicle tracks could be from FWP or BLM vehicles. The Wilks Ranch allows wardens/rangers access for patrolling purposes I believe.

That is correct. They were up my azz all last weekend. Like they have nothing better to do. I don't get it.

Things will get worse by the weekend. There will be three groups in there plus you. Make good on any chance you get. Good luck

That is correct. They were up my azz all last weekend. Like they have nothing better to do. I don't get it.

Things will get worse by the weekend. There will be three groups in there plus you. Make good on any chance you get. Good luck

Probably the most crowded place I have ever hunted GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

It was great to finally meet you Rockyboy. It was a good chat.:)

I guess they will learn real quick that 2 is company and 3 or 4 is a crowd in an area that is as small as that one is. I'm with you. Randy better try to take the first bull he can. I can see it getting real frustrating bumping into calling hunters.

As for Troy being hungry I can totally sympathize. Randy eats like a sparrow. I'll bet he wishes I was there to whip up some of those mountain pizza thingys like we did last year.:D
Randy just shakes his head when he see's someone eating every couple hours.;) Hey we're growing boys.

hope some elk come your way. your post about sleeping out overnight made me think of the rich men or women that will be sleeping in their cozy houses and can come up at any time and hunt the same spot that you are cold camping. what a disparity.

That's a good idea. Maybe next week I can be that guy.... minus the rich part.:)

Four miles from camp, hoping to see some elk back here before dark. Have about 20% of my water left. Gonna be thirsty by the time I get to camp.

Trust me, the first elk I get a shot at is getting an arrow. I hope this is the toughest hunt of the year. Don't want anymore heat fests.

Gotta find a bull.

Good Luck and thanks for taking us along.

Helps ease the pain of sitting home to work.

I'd trade my cozy bed for the ground where you're at in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Only 5 miles in? Lol...just kidding...maybe I don't want to hunt elk....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back