• 6.5 CM

• 6.5 PRC

• 7mm-08

• .280 Rem

• .280 AI

• .308 Win

• .270 Win

Results are only viewable after voting.
Have you decided on a 700 vs Tikka prefit option yet?

To get to that weight I’m also guessing a fairly high end stock?

7-08 is good all the way around. Not sure how popular it is outside of HT though..
The average Joe non-HT’er thought I was bonkers for specifically seeking a 7mm-08 before I finally tracked down a Howa Alpine in that caliber.

As much as it pains me to say it, the cartridge on there that would probably sell best to the average Joe non-HT’er / non-handloader would probably be the 6.5CM.

The factory ammo availability parameter will exclude some of the otherwise good cartridges listed. When’s the last time anyone saw 280AI on the shelf? One offering on ammoseek though. Ammo scarcity is the one reason I don’t personally own a rifle in that cartridge.
Very good point.

Barrel length 18-22 depending on cartridge.
Contour also depends on caliber. #3 at the lightest, #5 fluted at the heaviest. 3lb max for barrel weight.

You could always put an order in!

The .270 would be on the spicy side..

PRC ammo is definitely easier to come by. Worried about recoil but it'll be threaded.

7-08 is good all the way around. Not sure how popular it is outside of HT though..

.270 has 20-30% less recoil than 30-06.

Good point. Barrel will be threaded so shooter will have the option to tame it down. Thinking of including a timed brake along with a thread protector.

Both are solid choices. The lighter rifles do present a challenge but they're great to carry.
Scoped weight would probably be in the 6.5-7lb range.
A "mountain gun" is meant to shoot animals, not just paper. Is a 270 that has 20-30% less recoil just as effective for killing big animals as 30-06 ... especially dangerous big animals? I'm sure Jack O'Connor thought so (for whatever it's worth) but that would imply 30-06 is overkill. Tough pill for me to swallow. Maybe modern bullets have changed the game somewhat but I think I'd still want some heavier bullets than 6.5 Creedmore or 270 in my gun if I suddenly encountered grizzly tracks in the snow.

Have you decided on a 700 vs Tikka prefit option yet?

To get to that weight I’m also guessing a fairly high end stock?
The 1st 2 or 3 will be Tikka, I'll be doing the chamber/ thread work though.

Mid priced stock, 1.5lb.
Keeping total price under 2k.
View attachment 270212
Howa Superlite 6.5 creedmore, gun without scope 4.7 lbs. right at 6lbs with scope.
What scope size is on there?

Mid priced stock, 1.5lb.
5.5 is going to be real close. Tikka action goes 34oz. I’d look at the Stockys stock carbon I think it goes 21 oz. Find a barrel that’s 2lbs and you will make it. 6lbs will make things easier for sure

I went with the 6.5 prc because it's what I think would sell.
Imo about 7 of those calibers are perfect for your intentions. Users bullet preferences are just as important.

A "mountain gun" is meant to shoot animals, not just paper. Is a 270 that has 20-30% less recoil just as effective for killing big animals as 30-06 ... especially dangerous big animals? I'm sure Jack O'Connor thought so (for whatever it's worth) but that would imply 30-06 is overkill. Tough pill for me to swallow. Maybe modern bullets have changed the game somewhat but I think I'd still want some heavier bullets than 6.5 Creedmore or 270 in my gun if I suddenly encountered grizzly tracks in the snow.
Why do you have to argue with absolutely everything!? This isn't a safari rifle, it's not meant to be a bear gun. A mountain rifle needs to be easy to carry in a chambering that's manageable both on and off the bench. If you're not comfortable shooting at the range you won't be comfortable shooting at hair.

5.5 is going to be real close. Tikka action goes 34oz. I’d look at the Stockys stock carbon I think it goes 21 oz. Find a barrel that’s 2lbs and you will make it. 6lbs will make things easier for sure
Is that the weight for stainless or chrome moly? I was thinking the CM is a touch lighter..doesn't really matter either way. I'm not super hung up on it being 5.5lb.

It's getting the Stockys stock to help keep cost down.

Mid priced stock, 1.5lb.

What scope size is on there?
Leupold vx3i 4.5x14x40 , 30 mm tube w/side focus. I’ve had it awhile. I also added the brake with the recommendation from Howa dealer. I won this gun at the WSF show in Reno. I bought the scope from Schmalts also, best deals bar none!

With the parameters described I voted 6.5 PRC for a rifle to sell. Ammo readily available and the hype around cartridge is still strong. I've heard quite a few guys bragging about their accuracy with shorter barrels, no personal experience. As stated by someone earlier it will be a bit "snorty" in a light set up with shorter barrel.
The 7-08 is great in a mountain rifle, that's what mine is chambered in. Wider range of bullets weights available. It's just not as sexy.
For the sake of lightest possible I didn't consider any long actions.

You could probably mill a fair bit of weight off a tikka receiver. I'm no fan of ultralights, just don't shoot them well enough, but I wouldn't want much recoil in one if I did. Because of tikka action length, I think 284 win or its little 6.5mm brother version would be cool but that's obviously not one of the choices and not good for ammo availability.

Probably defer to 6.5 creedmoor. I like the 6mm version a little better but I think a lot of hunters might think it's "not enough gun" for them so it might have fewer buyers.

The factory ammo availability parameter will exclude some of the otherwise good cartridges listed. When’s the last time anyone saw 280AI on the shelf? One offering on ammoseek though. Ammo scarcity is the one reason I don’t personally own a rifle in that cartridge.
yesterday...

But I get your point lol. Trusted cartridge I am doing 300 WM and newer cartridge I am doing 300 PRC

A couple points which you might appreciate OH.

The four big game rifles which sooth my old hunters soul while also reviving my hunters spirit all have one thing in common.

They lack any form of rubber recoil pad and have hard vintage putt plates. My model 54 Winchester 30-06 bolt gun has a simple steel plate with groves forged into it. The same for my old model 94 30-30. My 1952 standard weight model 70 in .270 has the most ornate steel butt plate on any factory rifle ever. I love it and my 30-06 Belgium Broening has a fancy figured molded plastic butt plate.

Often I think about getting and fitting an African black buffalo butt plate as was used in the production year previous to mine.

The rubber butt pads look so yuch to me. At most i can tolerate the thin red hard rubber ones used on early Winchesters.
So recoil does count to me.

One great way to reduce it is going to Barnes bullets. They are lighter adn work better. Just look at the reviews from African PH's.

Regarding needing more gun when seeing Grizz tracks, I can understand that only from past tense. I used to live in NW Wyoming and saw Grizz tracks when fly fishing.

The most recent Herrero/Smith study was definitive. Bear spray in all ways, blows away any type of firearm in any and all circumstances..

The last time I saw some grizz tracks I was hunting elk about 50 miles north of my place. I wanted to take an easy trail back to camp. Then I saw the unmistakable tracks of a sow grizz with a cub.

Hmm, going around would add a hard 3/4 hour hike.

So I shouldered my 30-06 and kept the spray right in my hands as I made noise and took the easy way back to camp.

Any open minded examination of the facts in this issue leaves no option for firearm use as the primary method of defense.
Do I like having a firearm as back-up for bear spray, sure, but the spray is the real solid first defense.

Building a lightweight hunting rifle to SELL. Target weight is something around 5.5lb. No punishing cartridges here, stick to the list. Something with factory ammo available.
Cast a vote, you only get 1, just looking to see what's most popular. Generally speaking, I know 6.5 CM and PRC are the big sellers out of this list, but it hurts me to admit that.
I could be wrong but aren't they the newer calibers too. I think that has a lot to do with it. People choosing to try something new, and new shooters and hunters going with the current popularity.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back