PEAX Equipment

My Two-year HOWA Experiment

@WVgoodguy22

You should get a trophy for the longest post in the history of HT! 😁
Hahaha well thanks, I will take it. I tend to put all my thoughts out there. I also over explain what I am trying to say so the person I am talking with has all or most of the facts. I like to be interactive and helpful when I see something that peeks my interest. Some year I will learn to trim the fat and get to the point. Cheers.

Saw the rifle on the latest Elk Talk. Really like that camo pattern.

I foresee one in 308 in my future.
I also saw that rifle on the last episode. Looks awesome! I will be replacing my P17 sporter 30-06 with hopefully a new 308 Howa for this fall. I gotta be honest, I was hoping that 270 would make the cut but 308 would be the next best caliber for me. From that episode I gathered two big questions that Im sure BF cant answer yet....

1. Who is the exclusive retailer? I hope its Cabelas (I got points ready to be burnt up on a rifle lol) But I suspect it may be Brownell's because they seem to still do alot of business with Legacy Sports (Howa).

2. What will be the MSRP? Of course we can only hope it is as affordable as possible.

The release month (august) is encouraging for us 2019 hunters. BF and Howa came up with what appears to be a great rifle with a legit optic.

I also saw that rifle on the last episode. Looks awesome! I will be replacing my P17 sporter 30-06 with hopefully a new 308 Howa for this fall. I gotta be honest, I was hoping that 270 would make the cut but 308 would be the next best caliber for me. From that episode I gathered two big questions that Im sure BF cant answer yet....

1. Who is the exclusive retailer? I hope its Cabelas (I got points ready to be burnt up on a rifle lol) But I suspect it may be Brownell's because they seem to still do alot of business with Legacy Sports (Howa).

2. What will be the MSRP? Of course we can only hope it is as affordable as possible.

The release month (august) is encouraging for us 2019 hunters. BF and Howa came up with what appears to be a great rifle with a legit optic.
I bet you’re right about it being Brownells. I’ve looked at their barreled actions a few times with the idea of building one up.

I would look at the MSRP of the optic and closet production rifle Howa currently has and subtract 10%. That’s just a wild ass guess though. I’ve been meaning to do it just keeps sleeping my mind.

I bet you’re right about it being Brownells. I’ve looked at their barreled actions a few times with the idea of building one up.

I would look at the MSRP of the optic and closet production rifle Howa currently has and subtract 10%. That’s just a wild ass guess though. I’ve been meaning to do it just keeps sleeping my mind.
The Howa 1500 with an HS precision stock is $750-$900 depending on caliber and that is what a blued barrel not cerakoted nor threaded, even though he mentioned that Howa threw that in no charge. The Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40 CDS is $650 on Leupold's website, but you look at a retailer like Cabela's and they are $400 with the 1" tube and duplex reticle. So it most likely will be in that $1,000-$1,200 mark depending on caliber. I know Randy/Big Fin wants to keep the cost down as much as possible so it is more accessible to most people whom want to upgrade from their Savage Axis's, Remington 700 ADLs or way worse the 770s and 783s, Thompson Center Compasses, and other entry level models in different brands.

I made it to page 3 and holy freaking peanut gallery!! I can’t argue with the logic in any of your decisions Randy, nicely done. That’s coming from someone very far from your intended customer who spends too much time “picking fly shit out of chili” on all my rifle decisions.

Gotta say that im very excited about this rifle combo that Howa, Leupold, and Randy are coming out with. I’ve been scouting for a mountain rifle in 300 win mag; actually was looking at a Weatherby Mark V but this option looks very favorable. :) I’m curios to see the price point; I’m definitely a “value” guy but over time have learned that performance in key over any “warranty”. I’ve been shut down hunting because of scope and/or rifle problems. Sure the warranty worked but that was when season was over. Plus, I appreciate Randy and his crew taking the time to research and field test his approval. Hasn’t steered me wrong yet. I am curious on the weight of the rifle but again performance and reliability are my number one keys for purchase.

That's my thought too. At that price I just can't see myself buying one. I'm sure it's a great combo and a value for what you're getting, but just too much for me.

Not really, that’s about what you would spend on a Bergera with that scope if paying retail.

I know you didn't mean me personally, but that's exactly the problem for me. That combo you mentioned is not something I would buy. I'm probably cheaper than many in that regard, but considering that I thought this package was meant for the relatively inexperienced it's probably on the steep side.

I can't imagine a newish hunter, without a suitable elk or deer rifle already, dropping +/-$1,700 (out the door) for a new rifle.

According to Sportsman's Website they are temporarily sold out in all caliber options.

I know you didn't mean me personally, but that's exactly the problem for me. That combo you mentioned is not something I would buy. I'm probably cheaper than many in that regard, but considering that I thought this package was meant for the relatively inexperienced it's probably on the steep side.

I can't imagine a newish hunter, without a suitable elk or deer rifle already, dropping +/-$1,700 (out the door) for a new rifle.

Sometimes, newer rifle hunters have more money/credit than brains. I won’t even mention on how much I spent on things I thought I had to have my first year.

Most everyone that’s been here for a season knows that blue jeans and flannel with an old hands down 30-06 rifle will kill a elk. It will be just as dead as the guy with designer everything that he HAD to have to be successful.

If their marketing can sell them then more power to them. I hope it becomes a hit for them.

I am not jumping to the conclusion that that is what they will sell for. Maybe that is “retail” and the discounted/actual price will be listed when they are available.

I could see going for the 300WM if I ever pull a dream tag for something my 270WSM can't take down. Seems as close as you can get to a "pick up and go" rifle for such a hunt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back