More bad news for MT elk

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a new bill being proposed for the Montana Legislature for the 2011 session.

Anyone who knows how bison are managed or mismanaged in Montana, should be very wary about this legslation.

Anyone who knows the vigor with which this legislator, and her Republican friends, go after MT wildlife, understands that this bill will mean capture, test, and slaughter elk, out of fear of brucelosis.

Amazing that a disease that was brought to this country by cattle, and infected our wildlife via cattle, now is the reason why these producers want to reduce wildlife.

The areas that would be most affected by disease transmission issues from cattle are also the areas most under pressure from wolf predation and over harvest of cow elk on the public lands.

Every day you read something, it seems like the elk don't have a chance in this picture. And as the elk go, so go the elk hunters.

My hope is that something like this will be the tipping point where elk hunters, whether in Montana, and/or elsewhere, finally say they have had enough and will get off their arse and do something. But then, maybe I am too much of an optimist.

If you hunt elk in Montana, you need to be following this very closely.

Bill Draft Number: LC0029
Bill Type - Number:
Short Title: Expand the bison management plan to include other wildlife
Primary Sponsor:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill Actions - Current Bill Progress: In Drafting Process

Bill Action Count: 1

Action - Most Recent First Date Votes Yes Votes No Committee
(C) Draft Request Received 12/18/2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sponsor, etc.

Sponsor, etc. Last Name/Organization First Name Mi
Requester - Barrett, Debby (R)
Drafter - Stockwell, Hope

Subjects

Description Revenue/Approp. Vote Majority Req. Subject Code
Fish and Wildlife Simple FISH

Additional Bill Information

Fiscal Note Needed: No
Preintroduction Required: N
Session Law Ch. Number:
DEADLINE
Category: General Bills
Transmittal Date: 02/26/2011
Return (with 2nd house amendments) Date: 04/02/2011

Section Effective Dates
No Records returned

Every day you read something, it seems like the elk don't have a chance in this picture. And as the elk go, so go the elk hunters.

Tjones, and I were talking about this very thing today. I'm not sure that most Montana hunters care weather or not they'll loose every day opportunity. If the elk complete the crash and we go permits,(which is where the West Fork HD 250 is headed) then a tag once every 3 years like Arizona gets, would be alright. The average hunter doesn't bring home a elk but one in 5, so the odds are they would be better off. I don't know how's this is going to shake out. Trapping bans, could be coming. I don't want to be a downer, but I really don't know what the future will be.

Our legislature is running rough shod over the sportsman of this state, which is controlled by the livestock industry. More sportsman don't get involved, heck most don't even know who to blame for what's going on. I keep hammering the fact that Page 55 of the Elk management plan, which give sportsman a loophole to use against those wishing to wipe our elk out on public lands. We still have no responses from any other sportsman's club in the state. Until opportunity is gone, I guess the sleeping giant just sleeps.

We (sportsman) maned the communication lines during the last legislative session. If anyone on here wants to get involved to belong to a phone tree to call your local legislators during the next session. Go to the Montana Wildlife Federation page join up and have them put you on the activists list. It's going to be the best single thing you can do for our future.

BTW, the Montana Wildlife Federation, sent me a alert message when Barrett submitted the bill for writing.

I tell you what...whoever elected Debby Barrett to the legislature...should never be allowed to have a hunting license ever again...in any state.

This kind of stuff is sad...and it only reinforces to me the importance of being active in these types of issues. Its a constant battle...year after year after year.

I think Shoots-straight may be right...permit only for elk is coming fast...and I'm glad I got to hunt MT as much as I have. The main reason I have applied in MT every year since moving to Wyoming is so that I cant enjoy "one last year" of the "good old days". I know its going to come to an end, I know NR's are going to be impacted first, and elk hunting will eventually go permit only. I'm pretty confident of that unless some drastic changes are made, and soon. Theres still time to make changes, but not much.

This is not a wolf issue, far from it...its a political shit-storm thats coming to a head after many years of poor policy.

Last edited:
Debbie Barrett has single handley done more damage to elk in Montana then the entire wolf population ever will. Anyone that votes for her is a fool.

http://www.montanawildlife.com/takeaction/actiongrams/montanalegislature.asp

Anyone use this site for following such as described above? I have visited this site on occasion.

Also this site for tracking a variety of aspects - to consider. http://www.votesmart.org/bio.php?can_id=40551 Helps to evaluate - of course - most often it is a decision between the lesser of two evils - Though - Thought I would offer these two sites for people looking to evaluate further.

Seems for Debby Barrett, She receives HIGH marks from MT shooting Assoc and NRA for the main cause of 2nd amendment support.

Seems for Debby Barrett, She receives HIGH marks from MT shooting Assoc and NRA for the main cause of 2nd amendment support.

You wouldn't get elected in SW Montana if you weren't pro shooting and the pro gun. She's all about the livestock industry, and anything that benefits it, or could benefit it.

You wouldn't get elected in SW Montana if you weren't pro shooting and the pro gun. She's all about the livestock industry, and anything that benefits it, or could benefit it.

True. I noticed several bills that she sponsored / co-sponsored - or voted YES in support of... that seemed to directly cater that industry. Is there a grassroots lobbying association that is involved at the State level? I would value offering the meager $ support I am able. Unfortunately, todays politics seems to boil down to the lesser of two evils and from what I have gathered on Lynn Gail (Debby's opponent in 2008) Seems the lesser of two evils won.
Seems a clash over the economic positives of Montana's livestock industry and Montana hunters... Unfortunately, until these hunting / conservation groups combine to form a sizable lobby specific to Montana - the cattle "barons" will continue to prevail.

True. I noticed several bills that she sponsored / co-sponsored - or voted YES in support of... that seemed to directly cater that industry. Is there a grassroots lobbying association that is involved at the State level? I would value offering the meager $ support I am able

The Montana Wildlife Federation has a paid lobbyist. They do a great job. One of the few.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back