More ATV Lawbreaking

I have a different take on this issue
rolleyes.gif

My father in law suffered seriuos permanent injury to his leg and foot in an acident while driving truck. he is unable to walk long distances. We use an atv to get him to trail heads and such, he has never broken a rule or law and enjoys the chance to "be out there" with me and his sons.
I will usually walk my ass off trying to push deer to him.
The area we went to this year has both open and closed roads, by studying maps and doing a little research we were able to get him to some pretty good spots.

There were very few other hunters (atv or ground pounders) and I never seen anybody riding off trail or on closed trails or roads.
everything was clearly marked and the signs were in good shape you didn't have any problem knowing what was open and what wasn't.
Over all it was a good trip.
biggrin.gif

My next trip out is for elk in one of the units with the new moterized vehicle regulations and me and my wife will be hiking and loving every minute of it.

That`s great that you help your father -inlaw Mikeair, and i can`t understand why anyone would want to "ban" them as long as people obey the "law". Its always the jerks that screw it up for the ones that do it the "right" way. So why penalize the "good" because of the "bad". thats how the anti-gun crowd "thinks".

Heres my observation in south central Idaho, Those who abuse are not the minority, There is no band of illegal riders operating under the cover of darkness as the BRC would have us believe, I have spent 22 bags nights out this summer alone, so I am out there.I see who is causing the problems and lo and behold its the guy next door with the four wheeler in his yard, its the family camper out for a week end of fun, its Joe average, and his kids and I believe after confronting several that they really don't intentionally try to tear things up it's just the nature of the beast, Industry promotes a testosterone riding attitude , just look at their ads, churn it, burn it and show no fear or your a wus. and a good share of the illegal or spider trails are caused by hunters some even during legal game retrievel and then the summer riders follow the leader , it's a never ending battle of whos is doing what. These riding groups have got to step forward and control their people or risk loosing everything, but it's not fair to blame the organized clubs is it? the best statistics I can find show that less than five percent of the 70 some thousand registered and at least half that unregistered riders, belong to a club here in Idaho. It is totally out of control, but it gets better our Idaho Parks and Rec pukes are putting a 4-5 hundred mile trail system right through the heart of Idaho, To bring more ATVS in, what a joke..anyway some good news I live in the hunt area that has banned the use of ATVS off of full size roads as a aid to hunting and it is working, I have seen no new trails this year the first time ever. and the hunting pessure in some areas is way down maybe just maybe the decent buck hunting will return to the Lost River Valleys.....h2m

H2M, Thanks for your insight. I agree with it all, especially the part about who's causing the problems. I don't think it's a tiny minority, as some would have us believe. And I'm sure glad to hear we might get back some quality hunting in the restricted ATV zone. Wouldn't that be a great example of why the restrictions are necessary and beneficial! I hope there will be more restricted areas next year.

That was a pretty goog post{H2M] i have seen those adds on tv and they do show a "tear it up " attitude, maybee things are alot worse up in idaho,and some other states, just like you guys in other states cannot see the "damage" done by "illegals" i cannot see the damage done by ATV`s in your area, i am not a "fan" of ATV`s, but i also am not a "fan" of banning them everywhere. We have area`s that are closed to "all" motorized travel and that is ok. But you have to enforce it or what good is it? i also believe that they can be used as an effective "tool" when used properly, for instance in AZ we are allowed to go offroad with a truck to retreive a killed animal, and in my opinion an ATV does alot "less" damage than a heavy 4x4.

cjcj said, "for instance in AZ we are allowed to go offroad with a truck to retreive a killed animal, and in my opinion an ATV does alot "less" damage than a heavy 4x4."

Theres a law for the truly lazy and slothful hunter...

That stuff needs to end, IMO, if you can walk in and kill an animal, you should have to pack it out. Driving to your dead critter creates yet another road...the next slug sees the tracks..."oh, look a road I can drive!"

The good thing is though, the agencies are starting to come around to ridiculous laws like that and the laws and the times...they are a changin'.
tongue.gif

For the truly serious hunter, things will be improved greatly in the next few years, for the lazy turds...I would suggest selling the atv and investing in a good pair or two of hiking boots.
eek.gif

Well Buzz for now it`s the way the rules "are" and guess who "made" them, Thats right [gov`t]. If they change then so be it, but for now "YOU" will just have to live and deal with it. It`s nice to know that you are the only "true" hunter left in the world.

Sorry I missed all this earlier. I've been out riding my ATV, and looking at moose.

Here's a case in point for many of you to ponder. Locally, over the hill in the St. Joe country, are some very well mapped areas of no motorized vehicle use off the designated paths. This season I encountered a 70 something hunter struggling to get back to his truck. Seems he had taken his ATV down an open ATV trail (gated road), yes it was designated open to ATV's. He passed some younger guy walking in on his way in, after he parked the ATV and hunted his way around the point, he returned to his ATV to find the spark plug wire was cut short, and had to walk out.

Under the current train of thought, it would only be fair to call for the outlawing of hunting on foot. After all, not only did a hunter on foot ruin the old guys LEGAL hunt, he also endangered the old mans life. Either that, or start blaming all the hunting clubs for not making their members (and nonmembers) aware of the fact that there are areas open for ATV travel.

Good post Ten. I get the "feeling" that some of the "ban it" crowd think this old guy shouln`t be hunting unless he can walk in and "drag" out an elk all by himself.

CJ,

Ten just pointed out how inconsiderate and irresponsible the ATV crowd is.
rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>This season I encountered a 70 something hunter struggling to get back to his truck. Seems he had taken his ATV down an open ATV trail (gated road), yes it was designated open to ATV's. He passed some younger guy walking in on his way in, after he parked the ATV and hunted his way around the point, he returned to his ATV to find the spark plug wire was cut short, and had to walk out <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So old Joe Fat-Assed ATV Rider pulls up to a gate (that likely already has a rig parked there), and runs his ATV behind the gate, and eventually comes up to some hunter on foot. Instead of apologising, and turning around 180 degres, old Joe Fat-Ass roars around him, and heads on to the spot where the critters are. And then the ATV crowd wonders why people are getting tired of their behaviour.

I think Ten just proved that 100% of all ATV riders are irresponsible, inconsiderate, and ruin other people's hunting, based on Ten's sampling methodology.

It is a lucky thing the only thing cut was the Spark wire...
biggrin.gif
shhh.gif

Ten, Give up. ATVs are on the way out. Hunters are sick of slobs ruining the hunting for everyone else. Your 70 year old buddy should learn some manners.
rolleyes.gif
The fact that you don't understand that tells us what kinda ATV rider you are.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 10-23-2003 22:23: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

CJ,

If I pull up to a gate, that already has a rig there, the only way I would go behind it is if I know the system back there branches, and is big enough to give the first guy space.

If I come down a trail, and the guy is already there, I turn around, and go another direction. That guy chose to get out of bed earlier, it is his spot, and I learned a lesson to not sleep so long.

What is wrong with Joe Fat-Ass realizing he is bumping somebody else's spot, and apologising, and gettin the hell out of there? It is not supposed to be a race on ATVs to see who can scare every critter back into the timber.
rolleyes.gif
I bet if ol' Joe Fat-Ass would have gone another direction, he would not have had "mechanical problems"
wink.gif

As it is GRINNER/IT, that "system" goes for several miles with many branching roads, some open for ATV's, most not. Your support of vandalism only shows the selfish nature of many hunters, and the extreme they'll go to inorder to keep others from "their" hunting spots. I have heard of another incident were an ATV rider, on another open trail, ran over some "spike strips" and flattened his tires. Once again, open for travel, but ATV riders are vandalized. Clad I wasn't walking down that route and stepped on those spikes (ring nails).
These acts, and your apparent support of them only shows a lack of regard for other hunters.

I wounld guess by your responses that you would support the vandalism of anothers camp or vehicles if they didn't suit your idea of proper either????

Oh yah, the "fat assed" ATV rider as you referred to him was about 5'8" and may have weighed 130 pounds.

Gunner/Ithaca you guys have got to be "kidding" if you have good medical insurance and if they will pay for you to see a shrink please do so soon, if you think that it was "ok" for the guy to "vandalize" the old mans ATV? Are you saying that nobody has or had the right to pass the guy on foot?what if another guy walks faster or is on horseback, maybee the first guy should just shoot anyone who passes him while he`s on "his"road! I know you guy`s are smarter than that.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>These acts, and your apparent support of them only shows a lack of regard for other hunters.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was Joe Fat-Ass who showed the lack of regard for other hunters. You said this system has plenty of branches, yet he appearently didn't choose to talk with the other guy, and make sure he avoided the Early Riser.

Pleading for respect for ATV'rs from other Hunters is one of the funniest things I have read here in a long time. I assume you were just joking.
rolleyes.gif

The guy was 5'-8",and a Buck-Thirty and he couldn't walk in to hunt? What was the matter, he couldn't carry enough cigarettes in without the ATV?

You guts are certainly "SPECIAL".

Maybe the fella walking should have walked into a different area??

Nobody has the right to vandalize anothers property. period end of story.

Call the sherrif. report illegal activity.
otherwise suck it up and quit acting like spoiled third graders

GRINNER, so what your saying is that if I see someone walking up the mountain in the morning. I should stop my truck, either get off the mountain, or verify were this guy is walking too?

I think you TI, and BUZZ are just hunting for reasons to hate ATV's. ATV hunters need not have anymore respect for others then they get in return.

Well said MIKEYR

No, IT, I think that is exactly what he is saying.

What I'm saying is if the road is open for motorized travel, expect some traffic from time to time, and if your walking, expect to get passed by that motorized traveler.

Ten,

If I park at a gate, and walk in, you have every "Right" to park at the same pull-off, and drive your ATV up the same trail I am on.

But if you are so inconsiderate as to drive down the same trail I am, and not stop, ask where I was headed, so you could make sure you went somewhere else and not disturb MY hunt, then I would suggest you not drive in any farther than you can walk out.

You never know when you might have "unforseen Mechanical difficulties".
tongue.gif

I walked in Mule Deer hunting this morning, on an ATV trail that had a couple of ATV's ahead of me. We snuck past their tents, and they didn't even know we were in the neighborhood.

A couple of times during the day, you could hear the ATVs fire up... On the way out tonight, we met a couple of them on the trail. They were awful curious about the horns sticking out of the back of my backpack.
cool.gif
smile.gif
. Seems they hadn't killed anything...
yawn.gif

Back