Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Moose hunting is not for me.

Look at the tusks (fangs?) on that thing! Is that a doe or a buck? TT only hunts does. No way TT would ever hunt something like that that could possibly bite him.
Its a Buck, some call them teddy bear deer, or vampire deer!
The funny thing is, on very rare occasions the doe will have those 'fangs', and I was lucky on this trip to also get one of those, it fooled us as when we gralloched it a foetus fell out!

I remember the first time I shot at a life sized moose target in my adult. Made me question my choice to keep adding points to my collection. Not because I can't do it. But because of the house I am going to need to buy to display the one I am bringing home with me.

Western hunting is getting really played.
I’m gonna lay low on it for like 2-3 years to let it cool off then get back into it.
Sometimes I feel really cucked out when I dawn my sg suit and take off in a solitary pursuit with 15 other cars at the trailhead.
You can get way more of an intimate experience with the outdoors on a/t skis than you can with a archery tag in your pocket.
I will winter in the west, I shall hunt at home.
I wish I could likely this more than once. Will you please try to convince more people to do the same?

I’m gonna lay low on it for like 2-3 years to let it cool off then get back into it.
Sometimes I feel really cucked out when I dawn my sg suit and take off in a solitary pursuit with 15 other cars at the trailhead.
You can get way more of an intimate experience with the outdoors on a/t skis than you can with a archery tag in your pocket.
Why are you parking at a trailhead with 15 other cars? That’s your problem man!

I've killed, and eaten, over half of the 29 species of North American big game animals. IMO the best wild game meat that I've ever eaten was Bighorn sheep. I've also killed 2 bull Moose and took a friend in where he killed another big bull Moose, and he gave me a quarter of his Moose. So I've eaten 3 moose. To me they tasted like tough willow bushes, but they did make goood burger.

In the '80s I killed 3 Bighorn rams in the Montana Unlimited unit areas and they, along with my 2 Montana Moose each cost me a $25 resident tag and a tank of gas. In today's world a guided Bighorn sheep hunt can cost more that the price of a new car, and a Stone or Desert Bighorn sheep hunt is about double that.

Guided hunts also do not guarantee a kill. In the past 5 years I've eaten two guided moose tags. On a guided hunt in Newfoundland I was too picky and turned down easy shots at 3 bulls because I didn't think that their antlers were big enough. And a couple of years ago I had a combination Brown bear and Moose hunt in Alaska, and we didn't see any Moose, so that was an $800 bowl of Moose tag soup.

This month I will be applying for the 35th to 45th years in a row for Montana Moose, Sheep, Buffalo, and Goat permits. I'm also booked for an Alberta Moose hunt this September, and I might try another Alaska Moose hunt next year.

It's all about priorities...

Can you winter in the NE? Our mule deer winter range thanks you.

With all the traffic these threads get I'm beginning to think Tom's initials are RN. ;)

Can you winter in the NE? Our mule deer winter range thanks you.

With all the traffic these threads get I'm beginning to think Tom's initials are RN. ;)
White mountains look cool.
I’d like to visit shittleburry just cause.
Southeast seems like it has ample squirrel opportunity and good hiking.
Definitely on my radar in the years to come.

Wisdom! Even hunters living in the west are getting played. I know guy’s living in great western hunting states applying for 8 other states. They can’t even fill 1/3 of the tags they get otc in their home state. I had a fellow Idaho resident tell me he was applying for sub-par non resident tags just as “filler” hunts. He doesn’t fill 2/3 of the tags he buys otc in Idaho 😂. When everyone and their brother quits (or if)pimping out western wildlife and draws for profit we might get back to a state of reasonableness. Until then I’m mostly just hunting my home state.

This last sept I had 2 bull moose in close when i was elk hunting 1 was about 12 feet wish I knew how to post videos
It was amazing having that size animal so close now I want a tag even more

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back