Montana Toad...

Whip

I've been out quite a bit scouting and things are looking very good for my limited draw elk tag here in Montana, especially after seeing this big boy.
DSC_0065.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

I've seen another bull that is a radical 400+ nontypical and quite a few 350ish bulls also in the area. Hopefully they'll still be in the area come Sept. 4th, but a depradation hunt being put on by FWP has guys out harvesting cows with rifles right now and it'll continue into the first week of bow season:mad: That has the potential to stir things up a bit, but we'll see what happens. It's gonna be fun!

wow! very nice!

Best of success in your hunt this year - hope you sling one at that backscratcher there come season!

Awesome bull. I was emailed pictures of that same bull (unique) by somebody who's also watching it for the archery season.

I'm going to have to find him again...a rancher friend told me that early the other morning he and a few buddies cut across the low ground into another drainage due to the shooting going on with the depradation hunt. Good news is that I know where the gals are bedding for the day, and once the rut heats up, I'm thinking he'll be back. He only moved a few miles to my knowledge, but you never know...this is a new area to me and I've familiarized myself with a few parts of it, but you know how it is hunting somewhere that's new...

Yeah Kurt, there's a few that know of that big boy. I'll only be one of the guys that will be looking for him. I obviously want to hang a tag on him, but I'll be happy for whoever pulls it off. Bull of a lifetime...no doubt.

I would hold off on him and let him grow another year. Where are you exactly? HAHAHAHAHA

Good luck! That is a huge bull.

Maybe you should put Big Fin (Randy) in contact with those other guys. You know how he is always saying that having the cameras around screw it up for everyone, might better your odds. Good luck, hope to see some up close pics. soon with you standing behind him.

Wow. I knew that was the land of the giant bulls, but I've never seen anything like that from there before.
Good luck, I wouldn't be able to sleep if it were my tag.

How much time can you take off work? I am thinking, find him, and sit on him as best you can. Have your family bring you food every 3 or 4 days after you put him to bed in the evening. Good Lord, I couldn't sleep either.

I'm a chiropractor, so since I'm my own boss, I'll be taking as much time as is needed. I told my wife, kids, and patients to not expect to see me during September...which has not gone over too well. Heck, with this tag I figure to give it all I've got, which may include going into rifle season...who knows.
My plan is to hunt with home on my back, enabling me to sleep wherever the end of the day finds me. I do 3 days out on average, then back to base to get fresh clothes, shower, etc. This is the kind of hunting that I enjoy most and mostly do it by myself, though I will have a buddy along on some of those days to help out with the calling and, hopefully, the packing!

Unreal! I would guess it's unlikely you'll ever get to hunt a bull like that again. Make the most of it! Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Back