Montana Toad...

Still hunting boys...just got back and passed on some nice bulls, but the monsters have been elusive. Waiting on snow and I'll be back down there...

Hopefully your not waiting too long on that snow..
Have you seen any big bulls go down with the rifle in there yet?

I've not seen any come out of my specific part of the unit, but I'm in the woods before light and out after dark, so I don't have much opportunity to look at what's going on with other hunters.

Looks like some white stuff is here. My Dad drove over Mac Pass in slush last night.

Good luck.

I'm going back on the 18th for the rest of the season, so we'll see what happens.

You sure are getting your money's worth, Whip. Hope you find that one you have been looking for. A friend from Bozeman shot a very nice bull up there a couple weeks ago.

Getting my money's worth Randy? Hell, I'm going broke over this elk...6 weeks work lost...by choice, of course...who knows how many bucks towards gas and food (I haven't kept track 'cause I just don't want to know). My wife's threshold towards my obsession was surpassed long ago and, um, well, let's just say that I've got some serious household projects on the docket as payback after the season ends. I've put everything on the line because of this tag I'm holding and..............................

I'VE NEVER HAD THIS MUCH FUN IN MY LIFE AND WOULD GLADLY DO IT AGAIN!!!!!!

It's crunch time and I'll get it done. I've been holding the bar for 350 or better. Actually had a 365 bull in the crosshairs at 150 yards, but there were cows all around him and no clear shot without wounding one of them. I've done it the right way, passed on numerous bulls, hunted my ass off, and have been rewarded with the most fantastic experience I could have ever imagined. The last chapter is about to begin and if I see a nice 320 class bull, I'll be hard pressed to not pull the trigger. I'll put in a few more days looking for Mr. Big though as the timing and weather couldn't be more perfect. I've always loved the last week of the season....

Man I jumped on here to see if you've got it done yet...thought you might have dropped that big one. Wow! I would think that big old pig is done messing with cows and off were he can't get bugged...may have even gone nocturnal. You better pull the trigger and save your marriage.:D

.... You better pull the trigger and save your marriage.:D

C'mon Nectar, don't be pressuring the guy. He has twelve more days to hunt and twenty more years to get on his knees and grovel. ;)

Milk for all you can Whip. You're gonna pay no matter what, so make sure you get all you can out of it.

Hell, I'm going broke over this elk
I hear that Whip, I've been living in the breaks. Feeling the pressure now. Seen bulls every day but one. No monsters, lots of orange. I was hoping you had got yours by now.

You've held out this long on a 350 or better, hold out the whole way.
Good luck, you deserve a monster.

Thanks for all the kind words and support guys. Don't worry, my wife is not going to divorce me. We've made it this far and survived lots worse circumstances...and I'll gladly do anything she wants after season as she's basically said "go for it, it's your dream" since the get go...she's a great lady and I couldn't have done what I've already done without her support with the house and kids while I've been away. She did tell me I'd better come home with some meat this time though. 2 antelope and 2 WT's are in the freezer and the addition of an elk will take care of us nicely for the year. We don't do beef.

Another guy that had the tag that I ran into numerous times during the season killed the big 6 that I had in the crosshairs, and having punched his tag, has opened his playbook to me and told me of a few areas I've not hunted in...and he's not the only one that's pointed in that direction either...so I've got a few options that should make the next few days interesting. It's more open country that lends itself to spot and stalk. I won't mind being behind the glass either...I figure I've put at least 400 miles on the boots this season and, to be honest, my a** is whooped.

The pig that started this whole thread has been bedding up on a rocky ridge that's private (of course) that is all of 700 yds from his preferred alfalfa field...and he is most definitely nocturnal. I had him in the headlights last time I was over there an hour before sunrise and considered sacrificing the Ford, but that ain't the way I want the story to end...I did think about it for a moment though:)

The hunt ended the day before Thanksgiving for me. 20 below and a nice 5 pt in a field at daybreak. After hunting my ass of since archery, it was time to get it done and this elk was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. The ability to drive the truck up to it didn't factor into taking the shot..........

I had more encounters with absolutely selfish hunters that ruined things for me on more than one occasion...literally as I had a nice bull in the scope and getting ready to pull the trigger and the elk blow out...happened three times. I won't go into details but those of you that have been doing this a few years know what I'm talking about...guys that don't know where the elk are shadowing you to find "their" elk. It was very frustrating to say the least. By the end of it all I had no attachment to antler size and just wanted to put some meat in the freezer, so I did.

There's bigger bulls in my future, but they won't come with a high profile tag. I'm happy that it's all over now. Big plus is that I got to be home for Thanksgiving and finish out the season with some deer hunting on home grounds. 3 deer and 1 elk to cut up next weekend...the mountains have been generous in their bounty this year and my family and I are thankful for that.

Congrats on the bull. Sorry to hear it didn't up like you had probably hoped for (at least initially). But I guess you can't be too upset when you got as much time in the woods as you did this year (even if you had to deal with some idiots) and you've got a full freezer.

It's all good, and I've even learned a thing or three about how to avoid other hunters. It was a great experience through and through and I met a lot of nice folks that'll be friends for years. I'm still shaking my head at some of the things I saw other hunters do though, not a one of them holding the bull tag. Ruined it for more than just me according to others I've talked to.

The problem with this tag is access, and there's a lot of cow/spike hunters out there and too many damn roads. Other problem for me was that I was alone for the entire hunt with the exception of a few days. My wife didn't want me going back in by myself and not hearing from me for a week at a time not knowing if I was alive or dead, so I hunted areas that I could get out of every night and check in with her. It was one of the conditions that she insisted on, so I agreed. There was a spot that I hiked into early that was far enough away from access points that would've made a great backpack hunt and there were some insanely big bulls back in there...but I guess I'll always be wondering about that. No regrets here though. I've got a lot of years left in me:)

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskeyRiver
Back