Montana question

Tyler1215

I'm looking for some opinions on Montana. I'm curious about how many points I will need for a quality hunt in Montana. By quality I mean plenty of public land with good antelope numbers. Not looking for a monster. This year I cashed in 5 Wyoming bonus points and had the best experience I could ask for. I'm trying to get an idea on how long it'll take to get a similar experience for Montana. However, I'm not finding all the information for Montana like I was able to find for Wyoming. Looking for opinions and thoughts. Thank you

Go on the Mt FW&P web site and look at the maps and read the draw odd's for the areas. I believe the 700 area is a huge part of eastern Mt and the 600 areas are single area draws with much smaller number of tags available. I have put in for one particular 600 area for the last 4 years with no luck and it used to be almost a given in years past.

I think the 700 areas would be almost a given for antelope draw.
Plenty of public lands.
600's should be easy too.
The 700 areas are far from a given. Need several points to have a shot at drawing a tag. I have personally tried, and failed, for 3 years.

Just speculation on my part, but Pronghorn numbers in some areas were hit hard with brutal winters a few years back and number are starting to rebound now. This might mean they issue a few more tags in some of those areas. Maybe someone with inside knowledge can give a better perspective.

Just speculation on my part, but Pronghorn numbers in some areas were hit hard with brutal winters a few years back and number are starting to rebound now. This might mean they issue a few more tags in some of those areas. Maybe someone with inside knowledge can give a better perspective.
I’d like to say you are onto something, but this is MT. We don’t manage based on animal populations...we shoot as many as we can even after a bad winter. Wouldn’t want herd health to get in the way of our opportunity!

YUP on that.
In fact, my son has been drawn for a "Damage" hunt we already had tags, but this is EXTRA antelope he can shoot two... I got drawn, the same hunt for deer I can shoot two also.

I’d like to say you are onto something, but this is MT. We don’t manage based on animal populations...we shoot as many as we can even after a bad winter. Wouldn’t want herd health to get in the way of our opportunity!
I don't think that helps answer the OP's question. I think we agree he would probably be better off by applying in WY for pronghorn. Not sure you get the same experience in MT that you get in WY on speed goats.

When it comes to Montana Antelope I am am not sure that is accurate. Look at the stats for 670 in both the number of tags allowed and harvest following the devastation of the winter of 2010-11.

2009 there was a quota for 350 doe/fawn licenses available plus

2011 the quota was zero

FWP :: Drawing Statistics Search (mt.gov)

The antelope harvest quotas is far more adaptable to the herd health than the deer/elk harvest. I am not saying it is perfect but it isn't a free for all like the deer/elk tags.

Nemont

Of all the species, Antelope should be the most easy to scale population goals to tag quotas. They stand on the hill all day, so they are not that hard to count.

If you want a similar experience to a 5 point unit in Wyoming you are not going to find it in Montana. Lower quota units of Montana have fewer antelope and generally smaller antelope than Wyoming. Higher quota units of Montana have decent numbers of antelopes and high hunter density. Pick your poison.

YUP on that.
In fact, my son has been drawn for a "Damage" hunt we already had tags, but this is EXTRA antelope he can shoot two... I got drawn, the same hunt for deer I can shoot two also.
If the one I was drawn for, its a typical FWP ####show. 75 hunters, 2 tags each and there is a total of 20 antelope available.
Went for a couple hours, couple road shooters made it a real ####show. Left, before I confronted the aholes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back