Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Montana NR Combo Help

mconway951

Ok so i want to put in for a MT combo this year I know you put in for the general lic and then if drawn you put in for the limited quota zones however couple quick questions I know you guys can help with.
Do I specify a zone when applying for the general tag or can i just hunt anywhere in state that isnt limited quota.
Also what are the drawing odds on a deer elk combo for a NR with no pref points I really want to go next year and am hoping to not get drawn and build a pref point for next year, I know you dont have just the pref option in MT so was wondering if i can apply for a zone the is hard to draw and build the point then apply for where I want to go next year.

Sorry for the ignorance just montana throws me for a loop on the draw it is just confusing for my simple little mind I guess.

Thanks guys
Mike

Odds of drawing with no points will probably be around 60%. I think in the past they have been around 55% or so, I assume it will go up a little due to price increase, but who knows. I think I'm 5 for 5 on drawing a combo tag in the last 8 years.

Bonus points do not mean you'll draw the next year. You get an additional chance in the drawing with each point... basically you'd have 2 chances at 60% odds to draw next year. There is a chance you wouldn't draw even with a point.

You can only apply for a limited permit IF you have a valid elk or deer license. Its the same for residents, or used to be. You have to buy your elk/deer tag before you can apply for the limited permits.

I say don't put in unless you plan on going. OR you can put in and if you draw you can return your tag, but you don't get a bonus point.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that bonus points earned by unsuccessfully applying for either a combo tag or a deer only tag can be used in either drawing. So if you want to reduce your odds of drawing this year, you can apply for a deer only tag, which usually has odds of around 20%, I think. Then, if you are unsuccessful this year, you can apply with one bonus point for the combo tag next year. Is that correct?

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that bonus points earned by unsuccessfully applying for either a combo tag or a deer only tag can be used in either drawing. So if you want to reduce your odds of drawing this year, you can apply for a deer only tag, which usually has odds of around 20%, I think. Then, if you are unsuccessful this year, you can apply with one bonus point for the combo tag next year. Is that correct?

Thanks Oak that was another question i was going to ask after I was doing a lil more looking,

That's the way I understand it Oak. It worked that way a couple years ago for some friends of mine who changed their minds and wanted to hunt elk as well as deer.

Mconway- I would guess drawing odds for a combo license will be over 80% this year. I could be wrong but I think about 21,000 people applied for 11,500 tags last year. This year there will be 17,000 NR tags availible. I would guess the increase in tag price will cut back the number of applicants.

I would not apply for the combo unless you want to hunt this year. Oak's strategy would be the most feasible to build a point without drawing but that could be risky also. You might find yourself the recipient of a 500 deer tag.

I think you can turn your tag in for any reason up to about the middle of August. You only get an 85% refund and loose your preference points though.

Whats the cost now of the deer only tags there??Not sure I have time to use a combo if i draw Wy.But, I think I could find a way to go back out for the muley rut

Oak's strategy would be the most feasible to build a point without drawing but that could be risky also. You might find yourself the recipient of a 500 deer tag.
That's what happened to me when I tried it, although the tags were cheaper then. :eek:

Sent in my gen NR combo app the other day and hoping with the I-161 opening up some more tags will get drawn.

I would guess draw odds will be some what the same since these extra tags from the outfitter pool will now have to be drawn but still people out there that want to hunt with outfttters.
Would have to think they will be very aggressive at sport shows to get people booked for hunts.

Does anyone know when we will find out about the NR combo price. I have two pts and am hoping to draw this year. If it goes to $900 plus this will probably be my last time hunting Montana, will look at Colorado and Wyoming in the future. Thanks for any information

So when we apply for MT Lic do they take the amount off your card right away and then refund the amount if not successful or do they only charge if drawn just curious

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back