Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Montana Mule Deer Mismanagement

At least most were satisfied

FWP has a recent and rich history of lying about hunters being satisfied.

If they don’t show their work, I don’t believe them.

It’s flat out pathetic what the staff has let region 7 get to. 57% of mule deer bucks getting harvested by nonresidents the majority of the rest I would suspect go to western Montana. Anybody local pays a lease or have quit. I’m too dumb to quit. It’s absolutely criminal and then the staff will look you straight in the eyes and tell you everything is good and nothing has changed. This area can produce a ton of opportunity with some minor changes. Private land only doe tags is a good step until the real changes that need to happen are a reality. It is infuriating for the sportsman to be more concerned about a species than the staff.

It’s flat out pathetic what the staff has let region 7 get to. 57% of mule deer bucks getting harvested by nonresidents the majority of the rest I would suspect go to western Montana. Anybody local pays a lease or have quit. I’m too dumb to quit. It’s absolutely criminal and then the staff will look you straight in the eyes and tell you everything is good and nothing has changed. This area can produce a ton of opportunity with some minor changes. Private land only doe tags is a good step until the real changes that need to happen are a reality. It is infuriating for the sportsman to be more concerned about a species than the staff.
Lace em up. Season opens in the morning!!

Edit: ope, my bad. Next Saturday!

FWP has a recent and rich history of lying about hunters being satisfied.

If they don’t show their work, I don’t believe them.

Not sure I would classify that as “lying”. That is just fun with numbers. Pretty typical with surveys. You also have to call out the respondents for basically not having an opinion. Apathy is the biggest impediment to change.

Not sure I would classify that as “lying”. That is just fun with numbers. Pretty typical with surveys. You also have to call out the respondents for basically not having an opinion. Apathy is the biggest impediment to change.

As the president of the polling company quoted in the article points out, it is absolutely not typical to count neutral responses toward the affirmative.

As the president of the polling company quoted in the article points out, it is absolutely not typical to count neutral responses toward the affirmative.
Agree. The FWP took some substantial liberties in interpretation. Look, I hate polls and surveys generically (and I hate this one) and probably a good debate to have over a beer around a campfire, but I don't think it can be classified as lying. That seems harsh. If you ask someone to create a survey that implicitly measures their job performance, they sure as hell are not going to to put neutral responses in the negative category. Think if you had to send the same survey to all of your coworkers, customers, etc. Where would you put neutral when you summarized the results for your boss? Again, I hate the survey and I think everyone should look the results independently and not rely on a newspaper articles or FWP to BHA, but mostly people are going to see what they want to see.
The respondents demonstrated an opinion by buying a license. Does that not figure into the interpretation?
Being neutral on an issue does not equate to apathy.
Make an argument in this case? Anytime I see a five point survey with the middle being Neither A or B, and A and B can be interpreted as something binary like Change or Don't change, Neither means they don't care. Often times the problem with surveys is they give people an out on what is generally a yes or no question. FWP is not going to take the results of this as confirmation they should make any big changes. Doing so would also be equally questionable.

First off if I am apathetic I would not bother taking the survey.

If someone asks me how I feel about le permit area management for deer or elk I might choose the middle simply because they don't effect me. I would tend to defer to the people who are effected by it and who probably know the ins and outs of the issue better than I do.

If I feel that I can live with either end of the spectrum I would possibly pick the middle and deal with it how ever it goes.

I lack the arrogance to make decisions for the masses on issues that don't effect me or that I lack direct experience with. This does not mean that I am apathetic about hunting issues. It means that I am not a sheep following a leader blindly on issues that l am not terribly familiar with often because they don't directly effect me.

First off if I am apathetic I would not bother taking the survey.

If someone asks me how I feel about le permit area management for deer or elk I might choose the middle simply because they don't effect me. I would tend to defer to the people who are effected by it and who probably know the ins and outs of the issue better than I do.

If I feel that I can live with either end of the spectrum I would possibly pick the middle and deal with it how ever it goes.

I lack the arrogance to make decisions for the masses on issues that don't effect me or that I lack direct experience with. This does not mean that I am apathetic about hunting issues. It means that I am not a sheep following a leader blindly on issues that l am not terribly familiar with often because they don't directly effect me.
I think this is a very good point. Hunters are not monolithic and have a variety situations that would cause them to answer differently. Maybe a hunter that has found a great spot in a general unit would answer Neither, but that person sure would have an opinion if the unit went to LE. Maybe FWP needs another question asking the Neither respondents their level of apathy.

Fwp should start by being truthful. If I choose not to vote in a particular election they should not put my name in either candidate's column.
If I choose to defer to more knowledgeable people on certain issues my name should not go for or against. To put my vote on either side is fraudulent imo.

Fwp should start by being truthful. If I choose not to vote in a particular election they should not put my name in either candidate's column.
If I choose to defer to more knowledgeable people on certain issues my name should not go for or against. To put my vote on either side is fraudulent imo.
This. Just because someone doesn’t feel strongly either way on a particular question does not imply apathy. Perhaps it just isn’t applicable to their specific situation. However, the respondent had the option to choose a lesser degree of agreement/disagreement and declined to do so. Counting them as having any degree of either then is extremely disingenuous.

This. Just because someone doesn’t feel strongly either way on a particular question does not imply apathy. Perhaps it just isn’t applicable to their specific situation. However, the respondent had the option to choose a lesser degree of agreement/disagreement and declined to do so. Counting them as having any degree of either then is extremely disingenuous.
Maybe the surveys should be regional. Or maybe fwp is looking for the answers they want to get. Add some neutral to the positives is a fine way to get there.

Maybe the surveys should be regional. Or maybe fwp is looking for the answers they want to get. Add some neutral to the positives is a fine way to get there.
Another idea I like from the Region 4 proposal: It was pointed out that 60% of hunters are content with opportunity over quality. So the idea was floated that each region could have a draw unit or two to help align with those numbers. And those 60% won't apply for the LE tags, since they don't care about quality, right? ;)

Just because someone doesn’t feel strongly either way on a particular question does not imply apathy.
The only word I could come up with is apathy. It certain does imply something with elk management, sure, given their current circumstances. Maybe indifference? They are neither satisfied nor dissatisfied with management. To argue "it depends" is silly, but probably true. It mostly demonstrates why it is a bad structure to the question. If I apply the same answer scale to the question given to attendees of a conference asking "are you satisfied with the temperature of the room" it might be easier to recognize the problem. The answers tell us nothing about how to adjust the temperature. The FWP question almost encourages the "neither" answer because of the wide variety of circumstances.

Certainly agree that they shouldn't be counted in either satisfied or unsatisfied. And disingenuous is a better word than untruthful. FWP could have said "73% of the respondents were not unsatisfied with current elk management". That would have been truthful, but also disingenuous IMO.

I hope the next survey in 10yrs is different and these problems are fixed, but i know they won't be.

Edit: I went back to look at the survey and the question was on a scale 1 to 5 and only the 1 (very dissatisfied) and 5 (very satisfied) were marked. It was in the article that they said "It added in the 38% of hunters who indicated they felt neither satisfied nor dissatisfied." This may be where the confusion comes in.

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelixMarvin
Back