Montana Mule Deer Mismanagement

Based on FWP‘s “harvest report,” 4,482 mule deer does were killed from 2021-2022. To me that seems like a shit load of deer for one region and reducing that to zero would absolutely have a positive effect on the population, but I’m not a biologist

Based on FWP‘s “harvest report,” 4,482 mule deer does were killed from 2021-2022. To me that seems like a shit load of deer for one region and reducing that to zero would absolutely have a positive effect on the population, but I’m not a biologist
Fwp will tell you even 11,000 mule deer doe tags has no effect on the population. The only reason for cutting numbers last two years was a feel good for the public according to them

Their harvest report isn’t showing what is really happening on accessible land.

Alternatively there were 10,192 mule deer does killed between 2018-2019 in region 7. IF the tags were reduced by 90% in 2020, shouldn’t we be seeing closer to 1,000 deer between 21-22? 10% of 10,000? I understand it doesn’t quite work like that but something seems a little off…

The doe harvest has 100% made a difference in some areas. I do not believe BMA landowners shouldn’t have a say if they want doe harvest or not. That is certainly a bad way to word a good amendment.

It’s posted on the website now. I like it, but it does seem strange that the commissioner in northwest MT is making proposals for southeast MT.

I see this one was also posted today. Changing the district boundaries to benefit one outfitter who doesn’t want his business affected by the proposed limited mule deer permits…total BS.

IMG_4523.jpeg

BMA's make land owners money.
Good chance it helps pay costs. Therefore I would question how excited a percentage of these ranches would be to see fewer tags ie fewer hunters.

I’m happy to see that got posted. I know that the point restricts can cause other issues but I do wonder if any of these other states have done a point restriction with age. So basically if you’re over the age of 18 you can’t shoot a forky. That way these super forkys better hide because some kid is probably gonna blow them over

Fwp will tell you even 11,000 mule deer doe tags has no effect on the population. The only reason for cutting numbers last two years was a feel good for the public according to them
Ya, 11,000 doe tags cut….no difference. How stupid am I. I’m down on cow numbers due to drought….I’ve looked at the FWP model and see where I’m wrong. Today I load up and head out to shoot 50-60 of my bees cows….as it won’t make any difference…and may lead to more cattle moving into my pasture. How could I not see this years ago. I coulda saved millions

Back to the drought. In the late 80’s R6 was literally covered in mule deer. I could count 200-400 deer per day in 670, 630, 620 districts. Maybe the deer in those days were less dependent on water? Tougher, like my ancestors who homesteaded here…. Has to be the answer. Must’ve had nothing to do with zero lions in the country, or the fact we’d see a coyote rarely.

It’s posted on the website now. I like it, but it does seem strange that the commissioner in northwest MT is making proposals for southeast MT.

I see this one was also posted today. Changing the district boundaries to benefit one outfitter who doesn’t want his business affected by the proposed limited mule deer permits…total BS.

View attachment 304153
Honestly this boundary change 2 years ago was unnecessary . The change back makes sense . It’s not because of one outfitter. Many many landowners have complained. In this area as stated it’s all private or landlocked blm

Honestly this boundary change 2 years ago was unnecessary . The change back makes sense . It’s not because of one outfitter. Many many landowners have complained. In this area as stated it’s all private or landlocked blm
It's mainly because of one outfitter, you can even read his comments in the public comments that FWP released. The same outfitter told me he was "very concerned about the mule deer situation". Guess he's only concerned up until the point that it begins to affect his business. That's not true about it it mainly being private or landlocked BLM, a lot of the area is accessible through BMA's. I would disagree that deer are struggling in all of 417 except for the area in question. They are struggling just as badly there.

It's mainly because of one outfitter, you can even read his comments in the public comments that FWP released. The same outfitter told me he was "very concerned about the mule deer situation". Guess he's only concerned up until the point that it begins to affect his business. That's not true about it it mainly being private or landlocked BLM, a lot of the area is accessible through BMA's. I would disagree that deer are struggling in all of 417 except for the area in question. They are struggling just as badly there.
In the part in question , the boundary change area , there’s very little accessible land ….. the bmas are mostly in the old 417 the part that boundary wasn’t changed . The outfitter complained yes but so did a lot of landowners that have a say . I was just there and talked with many landowners about this very subject

dam pay walls
money shot-
But there are important differences as well between the two dry periods. American farmers, because they are so much more productive than their fathers and grandfathers in the 1930's, have vividly displayed the capacity to recover more quickly from one-year droughts. American farmers raise five times as much corn and three times as much wheat per acre today.

More than 55 million acres of land is now irrigated, nearly triple the amount in the 1930's, and much of it in the southern Great Plains, the Northwest and California. In 1984, a year after a drought and a new Government program cut the corn harvest by almost half to 4.17 billion bushels, farmers raised 7.6 billion bushels, almost 600 million bushels more than last year.

Back