Montana General Deer vs Permit Applications

gperezjr

Hi Folks. I can't seem to find the answer but wanted to make sure I wasn't messing my application up. I've applied for my MT General Deer tag as a party. We've all put our apps in for only the General. If we are going to put in for a Deer Permit is it just a separate application or does my original application need to be modified (which I believe we can no longer do?).

Last edited:
Needs to be done same time.
Incorrect. Deer permits are applied for separately. You have until April 1st to apply for a deer permit. Go to the regulations for the specific hunting district(s) which interests you and determine the specifics, the number of permits available, drawing odds and other pertinent information.

Incorrect. Deer permits are applied for separately. You have until April 1st to apply for a deer permit. Go to the regulations for the specific hunting district(s) which interests you and determine the specifics, the number of permits available, drawing odds and other pertinent information.
Hi Folks. I can't seem to find the answer but wanted to make sure I wasn't messing my application up. I've applied for my MT General Deer tag as a party. We've all put our apps in for only the General. If we are going to put in for a Deer Permit is it just a separate application or does my original application need to be modified (which I believe we can no longer do?).
What he said.

If that's the case, I stand corrected. I apologize, gperezjr, as evidently you are discriminated against as others have until April 1st to apply for special permits.

I posted this in a similar thread about elk general tags/permits as well. Figured I'd put it in here for either a different point of view, or different insight...

My cousin, and I applied for Montana LE elk, and deer tags with out fully understanding the process... yes this was a mistake. We didn't apply for the General Elk/Deer tag.

We actually were drawn for the same HD. However we did not apply/get General Elk/Deer tags. From my understanding this shouldn't of even been possible. So now we have specific HD permits but no general tags making us ineligible to hunt this year.

I called Montana FWP but have not heard anything back yet.

Are we SOL?

Yup you are SoL . U gotta have general tags
That's unfortunate. Some people in the other thread seem to think if you got the permit you have to have the general tag.

The girl from Montana FWP dind't think it was possible. She forwarded me to her supervisor. I went to voicemail. Haven't heard back yet.

I posted this in a similar thread about elk general tags/permits as well. Figured I'd put it in here for either a different point of view, or different insight...

My cousin, and I applied for Montana LE elk, and deer tags with out fully understanding the process... yes this was a mistake. We didn't apply for the General Elk/Deer tag.

We actually were drawn for the same HD. However we did not apply/get General Elk/Deer tags. From my understanding this shouldn't of even been possible. So now we have specific HD permits but no general tags making us ineligible to hunt this year.

I called Montana FWP but have not heard anything back yet.

Are we SOL?
I would interested in hearing what FWP says. I would think the system shouldn't allow you to accomplish this feat.

That's unfortunate. Some people in the other thread seem to think if you got the permit you have to have the general tag.

The girl from Montana FWP dind't think it was possible. She forwarded me to her supervisor. I went to voicemail. Haven't heard back yet.
So usually if you don't draw a combo it pulls your whole app from the draw, since you didn't apply for a combo perhaps the system didn't pull your application and it went on to the permit stage.

There are returned combos (sometimes) after the draw so you have a chance there.

But you shouldn't even be able to get into the LE drawing without first drawing the general correct? So therefore they would have to have general tags
I agree totally . But they told him he doesn’t have the general so that’s why he’s SOL . I don’t see how in the hell he even applied for permits without a general tag app either .

Sure, just create more tags to make the problem go away. It'd be par for the course for FWP.

It'll be a new loophole for guys to guarantee drawing the combo.
The system should have kicked them out before the draw/thrown out their application. All I'm saying is they should be given the first refund combos that come back, and MFWP should fix the glitch.

I guess also they could have their permits taken back and given to other applicants. For whatever reason that one doesn't seem as fair... but maybe that's the correct route...

Um . It may be and Fwp issue to a point if they were able to apply for only permits , however , It’s their (people applying) own fault . Sorry jbird , no offense but this is your mistake . You should not be given a general tag if u didn’t apply , it’s your screw up .

Um . It may be and Fwp issue to a point if they were able to apply for only permits , however , It’s their (people applying) own fault . Sorry jbird , no offense but this is your mistake . You should not be given a general tag if u didn’t apply , it’s your screw up .

I 100% agree. However, there are 1000 ways for this to be made more clear on the FWP website so that this doesn't happen. Really simple ways at that. I actually had the website tell me (non-related license) I couldn't buy a certain license without getting a prerequisite license and it automatically added it for me...

Hey Montana FWP I'll fix your website for you, for two general deer/elk tags?

As always, I agree with @8andcounting

I don't like the idea of rewarding someone for not taking the time to understand the process. When FWP puts it on the list of things to fix this winter, it gets forgotten about, and when next year's draw comes around and it happens again, precedent has been set to let those guys cut in line for an alternate tag.

Just my opinion.
Yeah that's fair.

Do you need a general tag to hunt anything? Even antlerless?

Also, for unit 270, Elk Permit: 270-45, it doesn't say "Permit must be used with a valid General Elk License" like it does for almost everything else. Is that a typo, or do you not need the General Elk License for this unit? See below.

HD270.PNG

I understand we didn't apply correctly. I'm just trying to make sure I understand where we currently stand, and how to apply correctly in the future.

Reactions: SDW
Being a boomer I don't know how to post the pic of the regs like you did, but look at page 15 and 16 of the regs.

Back