Montana General Deer vs Permit Applications

Being a boomer I don't know how to post the pic of the regs like you did, but look at page 15 and 16 of the regs.
Thanks for pointing those pages out. That cleared a lot of things up

No general tag need for Deer B, or Elk B tags.

It does say you can't even apply for a deer/elk permit until you have obtained a general deer/elk tag which is frustrating!

Um . It may be and Fwp issue to a point if they were able to apply for only permits , however , It’s their (people applying) own fault . Sorry jbird , no offense but this is your mistake . You should not be given a general tag if u didn’t apply , it’s your screw up .
But should they be charged for it too?

But should they be charged for it too?
The permits ? No . They shouldn’t have been able to apply without applying for general tag . But it was their mistake . It’s very clear in Montana that you need general tags first and foremost to get LE permits .

The permits ? No . They shouldn’t have been able to apply without applying for general tag . But it was their mistake . It’s very clear in Montana that you need general tags first and foremost to get LE permits .
I agree with that. I think we all do. But honestly i think it is FWP’s screw up for letting it happen. It is their system and their process. He probably is SOL in terms of using the permit, but someone else might be too because they didn’t draw the LE permit. That said, I wonder how they choose to rectify it. I would guess they just refund the money and reallocate the LE permits.

I agree with that. I think we all do. But honestly i think it is FWP’s screw up for letting it happen. It is their system and their process. He probably is SOL in terms of using the permit, but someone else might be too because they didn’t draw the LE permit. That said, I wonder how they choose to rectify it. I would guess they just refund the money and reallocate the LE permits.
Yup well said .

Montana FWP just called and they are selling my cousin, and I big game combos.
Occasionally it's nice to see someone get one over on the man ;)

Not in the least bit surprising. FWP is such a god damn joke.
What's a joke is making NR go through two drawings to get a permit. Just make it one process, you either get a permit and a license or a general license… like literally every other state and like every other species in Montana.

I'm 100% with you on the frustration about tags in MT, I just also share the frustration about how ass backwards MT deer and elk drawings are.

Montana FWP just called and they are selling my cousin, and I big game combos.
Good for you. I am surprised by the outrage, but agree that FWP doesn't come out of this looking good. But I mostly laugh rather than get angry. I don't expect FWP to write the program that runs the draw, but I do expect them to test to make sure it works.

Good for you. I am surprised by the outrage, but agree that FWP doesn't come out of this looking good. But I mostly laugh rather than get angry. I don't expect FWP to write the program that runs the draw, but I do expect them to test to make sure it works.
Surprised at the outrage ? I can’t get into the permit draw that I have double digits in points for .... I applied for general tag and special permits I did it right and can’t get a tag , then someone that don’t even know the rules doesn’t even apply but still gets given a tag ..... but your surprised ???? Ok .

Last edited:
It rubs me the wrong way that someone that didn't understand the process and applied incorrectly is going to get to hunt a permit that someone who followed the rules and did their homework on applying will miss out on.
Exactly .

While I do agree that the OP didn’t apply correctly and shouldn’t have been able to draw the permits. I find it even more ridiculous that MT doesn’t have their system setup to combat this problem. In most states your prerequisites are automatically added to your cart or in a state like CO it won’t let you add deer,elk etc until you have purchased the proper hunting license.

It rubs me the wrong way that someone that didn't understand the process and applied incorrectly is going to get to hunt a permit that someone who followed the rules and did their homework on applying will miss out on.
Call FWP and complain. I am just a bystander here, enjoying how this plays out. Like I said previously, my bet was on them refunding the money, not giving the the tag. Mostly because anything but that might just cause a bigger problem. I don't fault Jbird and he admitted his mistake. The rules are confusing, Res or NR. In the end, life is too short to spend much time getting upset about it, but at the same time, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I encourage you to call because I want to see what happens.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back