Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Montana Alternate list

I’m a bit confused here on the OTC vs draw B tags. Below is excerpt from the 2021 regs for unit 314. If I’m reading this correctly, there’s a deer B draw (hunt 314-01) that closed for apps on June 1. It’s capped at 100 tags. I successfully drew that hunt, my son was unsuccessful. However, there’s an OTC tag that provides a Deer B tag for all of Region 3 that goes on sale Aug 9 and is unlimited quantity. The draw tag is $5 more than the OTC tag. So what’s confusing to me is why would anyone do the draw tag for a specific unit when they can just buy an OTC tag that covers the entire region? Is it simply to let you get 2 B tags since you can only have one OTC?

Yeah, I realize that I did the “why would anyone do that” thing. But I wasn’t aware of the OTC option.

View attachment 189053
Whitetail vs Mule deer

I’m a bit confused here on the OTC vs draw B tags. Below is excerpt from the 2021 regs for unit 314. If I’m reading this correctly, there’s a deer B draw (hunt 314-01) that closed for apps on June 1. It’s capped at 100 tags. I successfully drew that hunt, my son was unsuccessful. However, there’s an OTC tag that provides a Deer B tag for all of Region 3 that goes on sale Aug 9 and is unlimited quantity. The draw tag is $5 more than the OTC tag. So what’s confusing to me is why would anyone do the draw tag for a specific unit when they can just buy an OTC tag that covers the entire region? Is it simply to let you get 2 B tags since you can only have one OTC?

Yeah, I realize that I did the “why would anyone do that” thing. But I wasn’t aware of the OTC option.

View attachment 189053
2 completely different tags !!!! Read the regs to the right !

Hi,

Brand new here. I checked my FWP account and am 175 out of 3043.

I was looking for some advice; I have never hunted Montana and was just trying to find out how the process works. I live and usually only hunt in AZ but didn't draw a tag at all this year so I went ahead and tried for some out of state hunts (a little late in the process) and put in for Co and Montana. I currently have a late rifle season cow tag for the Meeker area of Colorado so that is pretty straight forward as far as the unit goes and the seasons time frame. In regards to Montana, a representative at FWP said if I end up getting a alternate tag I can hunt both Archery and rifle or one or the other? Is this the case? I am still reading through the Montana regulations but was just curious if this is so; really cool if that's how it works because that gives a person quiet a bit of flexibility a choosing when to hunt?

Thanks for your help!

Hi,

In regards to Montana, a representative at FWP said if I end up getting a alternate tag I can hunt both Archery and rifle or one or the other? Is this the case? I am still reading through the Montana regulations but was just curious if this is so; really cool if that's how it works because that gives a person quiet a bit of flexibility a choosing when to hunt?

Thanks for your help!
It is true. In the near future in Montana there will be a year long season. As long as there are elk and mule deer does to shoot we need hunters in the field to get numbers to objective. ;)

Last edited:
Hi,

I was looking for some advice; I have never hunted Montana and was just trying to find out how the process works. I live and usually only hunt in AZ but didn't draw a tag at all this year so I went ahead and tried for some out of state hunts (a little late in the process) and put in for Co and Montana. I currently have a late rifle season cow tag for the Meeker area of Colorado so that is pretty straight forward as far as the unit goes and the seasons time frame. In regards to Montana, a representative at FWP said if I end up getting a alternate tag I can hunt both Archery and rifle or one or the other? Is this the case? I am still reading through the Montana regulations but was just curious if this is so; really cool if that's how it works because that gives a person quiet a bit of flexibility a choosing when to hunt?

Thanks for

Hi,

Thanks for your help!
Yes you can hunt both archery and rifle seasons with a general tag .

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

So this leads me to my next question, which maybe geared more towards the members on here that live in Montana or hunt it regularly.

I have about 5 to 6 actual hunting days and a day or so each way for travel. Here in Arizona it is usually packed opening day through opening weekend and then it drops off greatly as far as the number of people in the field. Is this generally typical for the seasons in Montana? I am just trying to figure out if it would be best if I hit opening week or waiting until a week or so has gone by. This could apply either to the archery season or the rifle. This is looking like it will be a solo DIY hunt so I am not expecting great things just a fun experience but I figure my chances may improve if I was able to hunt during some slump times in the season. Anyway, just some thoughts would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

So this leads me to my next question, which maybe geared more towards the members on here that live in Montana or hunt it regularly.

I have about 5 to 6 actual hunting days and a day or so each way for travel. Here in Arizona it is usually packed opening day through opening weekend and then it drops off greatly as far as the number of people in the field. Is this generally typical for the seasons in Montana? I am just trying to figure out if it would be best if I hit opening week or waiting until a week or so has gone by. This could apply either to the archery season or the rifle. This is looking like it will be a solo DIY hunt so I am not expecting great things just a fun experience but I figure my chances may improve if I was able to hunt during some slump times in the season. Anyway, just some thoughts would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Get the tag first. It may very well depend on how flexible you can be when you get the call. If it's November 15th, and you're unable to get away from work the next week or 2, you will be SOL.
I got a call at the end of September for a sheep tag 3 years ago. I was in the truck about 10 days later making the drive to the area.

I'm #95 on BG combo, I guess I should get the tags, first time hunting elk and buck deer in Montana, if somebody would like to give me some advise through pm, I would really appreciate it. I've hunted Montana but different species. I have elk hunting experience but not in beatiful Montana. Planning to hunt with my son, have not decided the dates yet.

Get the tag first. It may very well depend on how flexible you can be when you get the call. If it's November 15th, and you're unable to get away from work the next week or 2, you will be SOL.
I got a call at the end of September for a sheep tag 3 years ago. I was in the truck about 10 days later making the drive to the area.
Yep, I always tend to count my chickens before they hatch. I guess I am hopeful to have an opportunity this year given my luck on the local draws.

Thanks for your reply!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back