Montana 1 upped by Idaho in Wolf take shenanigans.

Several of you guys have blown so much smoke up each others ass that you actually think you are some kind of wolf experts . The wolves are not going to be relisted on any ESA . You pretend to be Nostradamus and can predict the future . Maybe you should get together and hold a Howlin and hold each others hands for comfort .
You do know who the President of the country is, right? Wolves won't be relisted? Think again.

I really have no clue . I have spent 30 some years of my life killing wolves . I can tell you how long it takes to skin your first wolf, and how long it takes to skin them after you have killed more than 100 . I can not tell you of anywhere they have ever controlled a wolf population, short of using helicopters or poison where there is a viable food source and they continue too reproduce. Neither i nor the president have a clue what he will do next .
Any pics of dead wolves?

Idaho wants predators gone and wants them gone now. They just removed all lion quotas statewide. I fought like hell against this. I sent press releases all over the state and it made several newspapers. I wrote commissioners, made online comments and rallied people who might care to write in. We are now the only western state now that does not have some sort of quota system in place for lions in at least part of the state.

For non-houndhunters, this will mean near eradication in some units near population centers with good access and no backcountry or winter closures for cats to take refuge in. They have made it so hound hunters have complete control of lion numbers because they know a few just want to be heroes to their twenty best buddies and get them all cats. Bye bye lions.

Now this with wolves. Why is anyone surprised? They have become completely radical when it comes to predators and want drastic kill-offs (not the same as "management"). Once we have to start the ESA cycle again it is really going to suck. We will long for the days when we had "only" 1500 wolves.

The sad part is that a bad winter will do more damage to populations as they are now than predator eradication.

They want more deer and elk....but they also want it to be mostly general OTC (which is what the VAST majority of ID hunters want based on their seven-year surveys)...and they also want to appease the guys who come to IDFG meeting and want it "like Utah where there are big deer," but don't realize it takes 15-20 years to get a tag.

So to cancel the noise they decided to kill all the wolves and lions.

I really have no clue . I have spent 30 some years of my life killing wolves . I can tell you how long it takes to skin your first wolf, and how long it takes to skin them after you have killed more than 100 . I can not tell you of anywhere they have ever controlled a wolf population, short of using helicopters or poison where there is a viable food source and they continue too reproduce. Neither i nor the president have a clue what he will do next .

That's great.

I spent 19 years working on ESA issues relative to at least 3 species (wolves, grizzly bears, sage grouse) and have helped ensure that the resources exist at the state level to keep several more species off of the list. The folks chiming in on this thread were neck deep in the delisting efforts in MT & ID for as long as I can remember, and pushed the delisting effort to the conclusion - the Simpson-Tester rider that set those USFWS approved plans in place. So, I'll defer to you on how to kill a wolf, but there isn't anyway in hell I'd listen to you on how to manage them for the continued viability or policy mandates necessary to keep them where they belong - in state hands.

Everybody gets wrapped up around the number. It's the plan that matters, even after 10 years. If those states re successful, it's not the number of dead wolves that gets them listed, it's the lack of adequate regulatory mechanisms in place to keep them from being expatriated again. So if they do get listed, you can thank your legislatures for listening to drunks on barstools rather than biologists.

Why would anyone with no hands on experience with wolves or grizzly bears be working on ESA issues in the first place ?
Exactly why we would like our legislature to step off the ledge. Wildlife management in Idaho was given to a commission for a reason.
We are trying to keep this from being decided by courts and lawyers who as we all know are the hands on experts in practical application of wildlife management.
The rest of what you wrote is pompous, off the mark and unnecessary. Ben has helped Idaho, Montana and Wyoming thin a lot of wolves without ever having to pull the trigger. Again chess not checkers

Why would anyone with no hands on experience with wolves or grizzly bears be working on ESA issues in the first place ?
Maybe because they were mansized?

There were a lot of folks doing a lot of work to get wolves delisted. Wolf hunting experience was not required but I’m damn glad they were all there.

Last edited:
Reminds me of the time I stepped in dogshit, barefoot...

I dig you're able to take wolves. Hands down, awesome though sometimes... we take a step too far.

Keep cracking them!

I saw a thread for extra stupid window stickers,
Is there one for extra stupid posts?

Edit: Looks like the picture and post were moved to those threads

Last edited:
Idaho wants predators gone and wants them gone now. They just removed all lion quotas statewide. I fought like hell against this. I sent press releases all over the state and it made several newspapers. I wrote commissioners, made online comments and rallied people who might care to write in. We are now the only western state now that does not have some sort of quota system in place for lions in at least part of the state.

For non-houndhunters, this will mean near eradication in some units near population centers with good access and no backcountry or winter closures for cats to take refuge in. They have made it so hound hunters have complete control of lion numbers because they know a few just want to be heroes to their twenty best buddies and get them all cats. Bye bye lions.

Now this with wolves. Why is anyone surprised? They have become completely radical when it comes to predators and want drastic kill-offs (not the same as "management"). Once we have to start the ESA cycle again it is really going to suck. We will long for the days when we had "only" 1500 wolves.

The sad part is that a bad winter will do more damage to populations as they are now than predator eradication.

They want more deer and elk....but they also want it to be mostly general OTC (which is what the VAST majority of ID hunters want based on their seven-year surveys)...and they also want to appease the guys who come to IDFG meeting and want it "like Utah where there are big deer," but don't realize it takes 15-20 years to get a tag.

So to cancel the noise they decided to kill all the wolves and lions.
I agree with this but will just add bears to the list of animals to eliminate in Idaho. Most units went to multiple bear tags and seasons extended by a month and 2 months in some units. It’s all out war on predators in Idaho right now. I think the lion and bear seasons and extra tags is how they are trying to compensate for the extra deer and elk being killed by wolves. They need to lighten up on the lions for sure the wolves are the problem. Everyone wants to kill wolves but most aren’t that good at it unfortunately. I think this is a bad idea and we should just let fish and game continue to incrementally add tags and extend the seasons. Let hunters and trappers take care of the problem. We’re close I think to year round seasons if we can get that on public land and continue to expand the trapping season. We will never endanger the wolf population that way but it could be managed to a reasonable level. Paid sharpshooters outside of the wilderness areas is stupid in my opinion. We’re making progress and they should just let fish and game slowly expand opportunities even more for hunters and trappers who PAY for the privilege. Some of selway an Frank church I could see hiring people to thin them out. I don’t think we could get wolves to 150 statewide but agree doing so is a terrible idea for everything already mentioned

Back