Mini trucks

Scott85

Has anybody gave any thought on using 4x4 mini trucks instead of an ATV or SXS? Would they be legal for trail use on National Forest and BLM land?

I had a Suzuki Carry for two or three years. I loved it in the woods. It was road legal but would only do about 55 mph downhill with a tailwind. I had it lifted and mounted a winch that could be moved to the back and wired accordingly. It was a lot of fun and really inexpensive.
View attachment 106478
That thing is sweet! I’ve never seen one of those before.

A friend had one and in general he liked it. His major issues were that its width made it track bad on rutted roads and original tires did not give it good clearness. Doing what was done above would have mad a great difference.

A friend had one and in general he liked it. His major issues were that its width made it track bad on rutted roads and original tires did not give it good clearness. Doing what was done above would have mad a great difference.
It did. Clearance was problem so I lifted it and then put 14 inch wheels on it. It ended up with better clearance than my 4 wheeler by a significant degree. It was right hand drive which made shifting a little strange.

I had a Suzuki Carry for two or three years. I loved it in the woods. It was road legal but would only do about 55 mph downhill with a tailwind. I had it lifted and mounted a winch that could be moved to the back and wired accordingly. It was a lot of fun and really inexpensive.
View attachment 106478

I saw something like this yesterday in Boise. It was sporting one of those white Idaho off-road plates and yet the guy was driving down the road in a populated area like he did it all the time.

I saw something like this yesterday in Boise. It was sporting one of those white Idaho off-road plates and yet the guy was driving down the road in a populated area like he did it all the time.

The Idaho off road plates are a restricted plate. Basically you can't drive on a road with a speed limit over 45. There are more restrictions, IE horn, lights etc, but the big one is speed limits. I've driven my sxs to the store to get gas/milk eggs with it. Police just drive on by.

The Idaho off road plates are a restricted plate. Basically you can't drive on a road with a speed limit over 45. There are more restrictions, IE horn, lights etc, but the big one is speed limits. I've driven my sxs to the store to get gas/milk eggs with it. Police just drive on by.

So I could ride my fo-wheeler to Maverik?

Read the laws, but yeah, you can. They ride the machines from dennis dillon all around that area on the roads, and that's why you see orvs all over the place in towns like cascade and idaho city.

Don't know how "mini" you're talking, but the older toyota mini trucks, lifted, with the 22r engine is a great rig.

Agreed. In high school I had a '84 1/2 SR5. It was basically the perfect rig... 84's still had the solid front axle but a carb - the 85's had fuel injection but the IFS... the '84 1/2 was the perfect medley - solid front axle AND fuel injection.

I stripped off the paint and Rhino lined the entire thing. I loved that truck.

A rancher friend of mine thought that the mini was the way to go. It was, right up until it started breaking down. He had a terrible time getting parts and the vehicle must have been made for running around rice paddies, as it could not take the day-to-ranch beating that they gave it. He got rid of it and went to a side by side.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back