Mini trucks

Agreed. In high school I had a '84 1/2 SR5. It was basically the perfect rig... 84's still had the solid front axle but a carb - the 85's had fuel injection but the IFS... the '84 1/2 was the perfect medley - solid front axle AND fuel injection.

I stripped off the paint and Rhino lined the entire thing. I loved that truck.
The 85's had a solid axle and EFI on the 22R engine. I had an 84 with the carb and three 85's. I collected them. The 86's had EFI and independent suspension.

Compared to a Wrangler they are cheep. Fully loaded, with lockers and all the stuff to make it "street legal" is about 23k. You can get a computer update for the diesel which will let the top speed get to low-mid 70s and they get about mid 30s mpg. I have seen them licensed and on the road in CO.

I'm surprised jeep even cares. They've gone so far towards the mall crawler trend it's not even funny. At this point, I know way more women in their 40's and 50's that never drive off road that drive jeeps than anyone. That's their target audience now, not people that actually want a real 4wd to actually use on a trail. It's all about the mall crawler/soccer mom crowd now.

Back