Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Meindl vs kenetrek

Really not much of a debate. When it comes to high quality boots, find what boot platform best fits your foot configuration and go from there. Fit and sizing for your unique foot features are the most important aspects when selecting among the top-end boots.

These boot discussions that turn into "Ford v. Chevy" etc might be entertaining, but of little practical value for people trying to make the decision. The best boots in the world are not going to help if you have narrow heels and it is built for full heels; if you have a low arch and the boot is built for medium or high arches; if you have wide feet and the platform is for narrow or average width. Nothing will compare to actually going and putting the boot on your feet and seeing how they fit and feel.

And, do not buy a size, or half-size, bigger than you think you need. Boots are made to fit a foot of the stated size. A boot too big will always end up in sloppy fit, which is blister-ville. If possible, go to a professional boot store with employees who know how to fit a boot.

Did I say fit and sizing are the most important aspects when selecting among the top-end boots? If not, I'll say it again, "Fit and sizing are the most important aspects when selecting among the top-end boots."

From my experience you either fit one or the other. Meindl runs wide, Kenetrek runs narrow.

I have a pair of both and my feet perfer the kenetreks. Like they said before it is pretty individual and getting the right boot for your foot

I use both. Or did till I switched to Lowas again.
15yrs on the Meindl's and they still sort of work.
Lowa Tibets for just plain hunt boot and Kenetrek Grizzly packs for everything in cold bad weather.
Both fit ME perfect and are a joy to have.

Last edited:
From my experience you either fit one or the other. Meindl runs wide, Kenetrek runs narrow.

This seems to hold pretty true...and for me the Meindl's fit perfectly.

I can get 2 good years of hunting and work out of a pair of Meindl's, can use them another year for easier stuff like antelope hunting and work in the foothills.

I have a pair of Kentreks mountain extreme 400's that fit and feel better every time I put them on!

I had a pair of Meindl Denalis and they felt great. I pulled an eyelet out so sent them back for repair or replacement. The post office lost them and I did not have them insured. So I then tried a pair of Kenetrek Mtn Extremes They fit great and for me are a better boot as they seem to be built better. The Meindl's felt great also and were cheaper to buy. BUT they had the eyelet issue so in my very limited experience I think the extra money for the Kenetrek is money well spent.
As I write this I'm waiting for a replacement pair of Cabalas Meindl Perfect Light's to come. The original pair had the stitching start to come apart after about a year of wear. It's funny I stopped at the Billings Cabala's last week and checked with them about returning the boots due to the stitching. I asked the young guy what the warranty was for the boot. He said there is a lifetime warranty on them. I showed him the issue and his first question was when did you buy them and do you have the sales receipt. I said no receipt but it was about a year ago or so. He said the warranty is only good for a year. I looked at him and said you just said lifetime warranty. He said yes the lifetime of the boot one year. Needless to say I got pissed off and went to the return counter and the lady there said forget about him I will take care of it. The problem was they did not have a pair my size. Fast forward a few days back I was in Missoula and thought I would check that store. They did not have my size (14) but could order them. I asked the gal there what type of warranty was on them. She said on Cabala boots it was 15 years. So I showed her my boots and she said lets go talk to returns and get something worked out. They agreed to replace the boots and if I could leave the boots they would order me a new pair. I was able to return them 2 days later and they took the damaged boots and ordered me a new pair. They should be there on 12 - 2-15. A $239.99 pair of boots should last more than a year. My Kenetrek's I think will hold up much better and are worth the extra $$$.

Dan

I have kenetreks and they just don't work for me. I went to crispi and they fit me much better. It's different for everyone so I'd say Randy's advice is spot on.

This seems to hold pretty true...and for me the Meindl's fit perfectly.

I can get 2 good years of hunting and work out of a pair of Meindl's, can use them another year for easier stuff like antelope hunting and work in the foothills.

Only you could wear out a pair of high quality boots in 2 yrs. :rolleyes:

Meindl fits me like a glove. I had narrow feet as a kid and over the years am now about average. I wear a liner sock and a thick sock and lace using the system that locks the laces in 4 spots rather than just tie at the top. NEVER had a blister in these boots. I broke them in hiking 30 miles with a 50 pound pack on sidewalks then 20 miles on dirt trails. Have hunted Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming, Utah, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico and Texas. Glaciers, mountains, side-hilling, deserts, avalanche chutes, you name it.

I did buy a half size bigger than suggested but, as mentioned, lock my laces at multiple points and I use the slight extra room in front of my toes to keep my toenails since hit your toes hard enough and long enough and you lose nails.

I tried the boots on a one of the big outdoor shows. Did the same for my back pack. A good fit beats a bargain basement deal when it comes to your feet.

Only you could wear out a pair of high quality boots in 2 yrs. :rolleyes:

Not really, most all the people I work with experience the same thing...max of 2-3 years with the higher quality boots.

We spend 140-160+ days a year in the field. Many of us spend another 30-40+ days a year hunting, backpacking, etc. I don't care how good a boot is, wearing them that much beats then down in a couple years.

Not really, most all the people I work with experience the same thing...max of 2-3 years with the higher quality boots.

We spend 140-160+ days a year in the field. Many of us spend another 30-40+ days a year hunting, backpacking, etc. I don't care how good a boot is, wearing them that much beats then down in a couple years.

I know a guy who used to survey for BLM. He spent a number of years in Alaska surveying on foot. He went through a good pair of Danners every year. Nothing lasts forever if you are hammering on them day in and day out.

Really not much of a debate. When it comes to high quality boots, find what boot platform best fits your foot configuration and go from there. Fit and sizing for your unique foot features are the most important aspects when selecting among the top-end boots."

That pretty much sums it up.

The more intelligent debate would be, "how tall of a boot should I get", or "do I need a fully nylon shank"?, etc.

Most any of the higher end boots will be very well made. Each have their own nuances. I can buy a pair of Lowas and wear them right out of the box with no break in and not have issues. Give me a pair of Kenetreks or Asolos and I'd be crying in misery.

Been talking myself into a new pair of boots for two years - cannot. I am still wearing the Meindls. Second pair. I will probably buy them again

Well said, Big Fin and JLS - no debate really.

I tried them both on for fit and really didn't feel good with either. Very stiff as well. Too stiff for my taste. What I did end up with were Salomon Quest 4D GTX. They've gone through 4 elk seasons plus a fair number of deer hunts and hikes. The elk hunts are in really nasty country, the rest is fairly tame. I could not be happier. My point to this is, try many boots. You never know what will be right for you.

Thanks everyone for your viewpoints and yes when talking higher quality made products you really can't go wrong there may be some lil things between the two ppl may have found and that what is I was looking for. Boots are def not something to skimp on which I did this year and it bit me in the ass. I usually just wear my whites when I hunt here in CA but for my Idaho trip where I knew there would be snow and be very cold I bought a new pair of boots made by Columbia not only did they not keep my feet warm at all but my feet got soaked and stitching started coming out. Lesson learned the hard way.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back