Making It Easy Loading An Elk

I may be the only one, in the WORLD, who's slept in both the condo's in question. How cool is that! ;)

unless you were on private property, your vehicle was not legal where you are with it. Stay on the road.

I don't mean to be rude, but you must not spend a lot of time hunting.

I've had at least three big game animals expire OFF the road in my lifetime.

It's not ideal but we still make it work.

Travis

Who said I boned them?

Ever tried hooking an elk to a 4 wheeler in a designated Wilderness area or an area with motor vehicle restricted access?

I do all my own processing, I really enjoy it and I've yet to find a butcher shop that will cut an animal to my standards.

I trust butcher shops as much as I do a used car salesman.

Moose shoulder from this year, ready for the grinder:

09191513191.jpg

Sounds like a lot of work.

No thanks.

Travis

Well jeez....interesting thread. I don't shoot a lot of elk but most of the ones I have came out whole. To the original poster, lay a piece of plywood in the bed of your pickup. This works as a ramp and you don't need a slope to back up to. I've used this method with a come along and it works great.

Well jeez....interesting thread. I don't shoot a lot of elk but most of the ones I have came out whole. To the original poster, lay a piece of plywood in the bed of your pickup. This works as a ramp and you don't need a slope to back up to. I've used this method with a come along and it works great.

I guess I should let all the plywood guys know, I was on a prairie dog shoot for the weekend. The recovery winch stays in the truck with a shovel, jack and one of those orange rubber targets...

This is handy too, but you don't always have a tractor around. I keep the winch in the back of the truck wherever I go. I don't always carry a ramp...

scan0006-3.jpg

scan0022-1.jpg

i Always wondered how that happens,, whole bull in a pickup, i would like to put a whole elk in the back of the truck one time in my life,,,,i was in white sulphur last weekend seen quite a few whole elk in vehicles,,, i must be doing something wrong,,,

great job shrapnel

It is also important to load the elk with horns displayed for everyone's viewing pleasure...

scan0022-1.jpg

..another whole to the pole.

pointer, drop by anytime, we'll leave the light on for ya...

Do you remember this libation cabinet?

Boy that turned into a big d*ck contest real quick. I've had the luxury of getting a couple elk and deer out whole as well as packed a few out. No big deal ass long as you get it out why does it matter the method? Got all the meat? Yup? Ok cool that's the point.

Congrats on the cow OP!

I got to try the portable winch method several years back because a friend was excited about his new winch. I can't really say that it was easier than just quartering the elk out since pulling the elk around dead fall was a lot of work and it took a lot of time to keep resetting the winch and paying out cable but we did only have to make one trip. It was neat to see but I probably wouldn't do it again. I hunt by myself most of the time so I don't really have a choice but to quarter an elk out. Kudos for figuring out a method that works for you, though.

This thread is too amusing to resist. Are some of you guys actually serious? I want to hunt with some of you "wholers" This taking them out in pieces is overrated.

Attachments

• Travis Sheep Pics 043.jpg
    Travis Sheep Pics 043.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 801
If you paid close attention you would have seen the thread was labeled how to get an elk out easily. This site sure is full of tough guys. I never said I got every elk out whole, I said this was an easy way to load a whole elk. For Pete's sake, I hope that all the tough guys feel better.

This elk wasn't gotten out whole, I packed it out on my back and it isn't a small bull, measuring 380 gross B&C...

2e925f13-1504-47c9-adb3-d4ecddb3b7ee.jpg

Really industrious folks forego all the mechanized methods of elk hunting logistics and just let her pack 'em out and load 'em in the truck at the trailhead:D

Attachments

• packin.jpg
    packin.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 876
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back