Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Making It Easy Loading An Elk

REALLY industrious people just don't shoot the damn things.

Any method that does not involve the elk on my back, steep hills and countless deadfalls, I'm in favor. Nice work Shrapnel, thanks for sharing.

REALLY industrious people just don't shoot the damn things.

LOL.

Three guys are in a bar, a New Yorker, a Los Angelite, and a Montanan. The New Yorker opines about having recently realized his dream of taking his company public. The Los Angelite talks about a recent merger which dramatically increased the valuation of his stock portfolio. The Montanan ponders all this and announces, "I got my elk!"

Another aspect of getting elk out whole is just how much work it really takes. The amount of days working on the ranch to be allowed to hunt there. He is just one project of many, getting an old portable welder loaded up to take back home and get it running for them. Sometimes it would be easier to hike into back country and haul the elk out on your back...

image_42.jpeg

Sometimes it would be easier to hike into back country and haul the elk out on your back...

Well, not really... but the point is well taken. Nothing wrong with hauling out a whole elk in the back of a truck. I've done it more than once.

I've said forever, not all "elk hunting" is created equal... ranches/private land hunting, or on your own two feet on public ground. Both are "elk hunting" but are really not the same, but both can be fun and challenging, though the challenges can be quite different and the results should be thought about differently IMO.

Last edited:
I've said forever, not all "elk hunting" is created equal... ranches/private land hunting, or on your own two feet on public ground. Both are "elk hunting" but are really not the same, but both can be fun and challenging, though the challenges can be quite different and the results should be thought about differently IMO.
Yep. Something I've explained to my kids with the elk B tags we have. Haven't filled any yet, haven't had to. So far the mountain and the hard way have been good. I like elk that come out in pieces. mtmuley

Sometimes it would be easier to hike into back country and haul the elk out on your back...

The beautiful thing about hunting elk on public land is you don't have to put your lips on anything unsavory during the off season. I like that better than loading them whole.

Here's one a friend got yesterday. No butt kissing required. He bought beer and burgers for the friends with backpacks.

Attachments

• Jakes2015 elk-small.jpg
    Jakes2015 elk-small.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 533
I'm going big, or eating elk tag soup this year. At 30+ days of elk hunting only so far, why not? There's only 20 days left. My kids have filled the freezer. I did shoot a deer the other day, while elk hunting, first buck I've ever shot within a 150 miles of my house. Old wilderness buck - looked awesome tearing into snow covered pines. I'm sleeping with his antlers tonight, which is way less weird than dreaming about fondling a guy named Leonard so I can road hunt elk on his place next fall.

Congrat's on the buck!

Good luck on the rest of the season man...

I've never liked Leonard. I'm 54 and still packing out. Don't plan on stopping any time soon.

This years:

tent10.24.15_zpssrqvvikx.jpg

Last edited:
Brad, Great bull as usual! Here's my ranch buck.

Attachments

• 2015 Kurt Mule Deer Small.jpg
    2015 Kurt Mule Deer Small.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 598
Last edited:
Kurt, that's an outstanding buck! I'd LOVE to shoot an old mountain man like that.

Just exactly the kind of buck/bull I'm talking about on public wilderness vs private... not everything should be judged/considered/evaluated by sheer inches of horn.

The how/why/experience means more to me...

Keep telling yourself that! LOL!!!!!

Seriously, just own the fact that you shoot them on ranches and leave it at that. Trying to convince us that you're a real badass with your ranch hunts is just making you look like a goober.

Congrat's on the buck!

I've never liked Leonard. I'm 54 and still packing out. Don't plan on stopping any time soon.

This years:

Beautiful bull Brad. Glad to see you over here.

Which Kimber did the job? My Montana .308 did the trick for me this year. It's an 8,000's serial number AKA finicky but will shoot Federal blue box in either the 150 or 180 loading a into 3/4". To my ego's dismay, won't digest hand loads thus far. Got a 7mm-08 on order. Supposedly, the geniuses at Kimber (obviously not the same guys who designed the rifle) have decided to discontinue the 7-08 Montana. Figured I'd better get one while the getting is good.

BD, thanks. Yes, MT in 308 Win. 165 Speer HC did the deed. Weird about yours and handloads!

Greenhorn and Brad, thanks for posting pics of some dandy bulls! Well done. You guys kill bigger bulls on general tags than I do on very hard to draw tags. I think it's sort of a reverse waistline to antler phenomenon.

There are so many factors related to this topic of how easy it needs to be.
1. Health and mobility are the first factor. If the individual has physical limitations that make doing the back country hike and hunt impossible accessible public or private is required.
2. Age, I may be able to walk ok but balance and stamina sometimes changes what I should do over what I want to do. Being a mid-60s myself and having wanderlust when in the hills is great but I need to understand my limitations. Having had heart surgery, 2 back surgery’s and some other stuff has not changed desire but my thinking process.
3. Money, some of us are on limited incomes and what is affordable maybe public lands, private lands or management units that are close to home. I would have loved to hunt in lots of the places that many have traveled to but it is not possible. I thank you for sharing your sharing your stories and I travel with you in my heart and mind.

Life is just not that simple and what opportunities are available to each of us is unique to our life situations and maybe locations. Enjoy the outdoors and the rewards it brings through experience and sharing with others not only educates but helps to grow imaginations and dreams.

Congrat's on the buck!

This years:

Nice camp. Looks nicer than one of mine last week. Note the green can - many miles in, 9k +. Good stuff - only my camp is missing the elk antlers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 435
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back