Yeti GOBOX Collection

Ma and Pa Llewellyn

Whiskers

Not looking for prayers or condolences. I just thought you guys might be interested in this...not sure why.

On December 6, 2007 at 7 am Nancy(my wife) received a phone call informing her that her 84 year old mother had passed away unexpectedly. She was in a nursing home, but was mobile, and enjoyed bingo, cards, and other games with the other residence. Nancy's 86 year old father was in the hospital at the time to get some breathing difficulties diagnosed. Obvisouly we dropped everything and headed for Ohio. We arrived about 7 pm on Thursday, and Abby, (Nancy's Dad) was already back at the house, when he was told of his wife's death, he said he wanted to go with her. A number of times on Friday he said he couldn't live with out his wife of 61 years, and his life long sweetheart. Anyone that knows these two, knew how much they loved each other. He was still having some breathing problems, so Nancy slept in a separate bed in his room in case he needed anything. At 3 am he called Nancy's name, she went to see what he needed, he wanted help moving onto his side, she helped him and asked if he needed anything else. He said "No, I am just waiting on the man in the corner", and pointed to the ceiling corner by his closet. He then kissed Nancy's hand, and said "my will is in the box in the closet, and they had better follow it". She told him she loved him, he told her that no one could love anyone as much as he loved his kids, then told her to go back to bed. About 4am, she woke and thought he was awful quiet, she checked him and he had passed.
Saturday was a religious holiday for Catholics (which Nancy's family is, but I am not so I don't know what holiday it was) meaning Nancy's mother had to be buried on Monday, the 10th of December. Abby and Louise had taken care of their burial details, right down to paying for the priest, the obituaries in the newspaper, and Abby had even made the crosses to be used on top of their coffins, years ago. The Undertaker agreed to having Abby prepared and having a dual viewing on Sunday, and the burial on Monday.
It was a one day viewing on Sunday, they were in the same room, with the coffins head to toe. Over 600 people came to the viewing, they stood outside in the freezing rain. On Monday, St. Michaels Catherdial was full of mourners, I would have never thought that many people would show up on a work day. Abby was very involved in the local parish, two priest that were transfered to different parishes made the journey. They had three priest serving their final mass, a full Choir in the balcony, made the whole thing even more spectacular. We went to the cemetery, where there were approximately 150-175 people, again standing in the freezing rain.
Abby was a survivor of Pear Harbor, always went to the reunions of his Army buddies. If you asked Abby what he did in WWII he would respond "I drove a truck". When we went thru his discharge papers so he could have a military funeral we found something no one in his family ever knew. Abby was the receipant of FOUR BRONZE STARS. Yesterday while going thru some old cedar chest getting ready to empty the house they built and lived in for 55 years, they found his bronze stars, under the telegram and the Purple Heart informing his parents of his brother Ardens death at IWO JIMA. He talked about everything, we all thought his life was an open book, the only thing he never ever mentioned was those 4 bronze stars lying in the bottom of the cedar chest.

Abby and Louise will be greatly missed, and this country suffered a great loss when these two departed.

My condolences to your family Whiskers. They sounded like wonderful people.

My 85 yr old fatherinlaw passed away 10 months ago and I'm afraid my motherinlaw is losing her will to live without him. We keep trying to keep her spirits up.

Condolences Whiskers. losing a loved one is never easy. these two sound like very special people. lost my grandmother exactly 10 months to the day of grandpa passing away. she didn't want to live without him.

Thanks for the post Whiskers. My condolences. I have heard reference to "The Greatest Generation" and I would have to agree.

America HAS couples just like this, Now, and has had so for X00+ yrs! They just do what they have to do, don't ask for much in return, and go on with their lives. Most will never know what they did, nor do they expect us to know, nor understand why they did what they did. They are the Hero's that have given us all the privilidge to live a life a freedom; to pursue our individual happiness; to bitch about what we think is wrong, to BBQ in our back yards, to make/or break.

It's truely a sad moment when we, as a nation, lose one of our Hero's, but I'm proud to say I know that there are/ is another, yet unknown, who already has, or is, going to be right behind them and standing up for all of us!

God Bless 'em....God Bless 'em ALL

Whiskers:

My condolences to your family. Your in-laws are part of that special generation of people to whom I am daily saying prayers of thanks for all they gave to provide what we have today.

As Gunner says, "God Bless 'em."

Pretty touching story. Condolences to you and the fam.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back