Longrange OK for some?

Just opened Facebook this morning to see a video circulating of some "famous"(loosely) used hunter making a 1036 shot. He starts out the video explaining that he shoots hundreds of rounds and knows his equipment. Ok so I'm going into it with an open mind.
As I watch the shots (2) and assuming they aren't edited I think well he did what he said he could do.
What happened next made me lose total respect for this guy. He then posts a sentence on the video that he was unable to locate the bull on the far side before dark and so he's coming back in the morning.
Well sir I can guarantee you that half of that bull is going to be spoiled when you get there in the morning.
If you can't get across the canyon to retrieve the animal that you made a wonderful shot on then you have no business making that shot. In fact you've damned yourself by filming it. You made a moral choice to take that shot but then limited yourself to make an ethical retrieval. Borders on waste of game in my opinion.
I'm not saying I haven't retrieved an animal the following day (only 1) and it was still alive but I feel like he had no intention of getting it that day and just wanted to see if he could poke it from a 1,000+.
I love shooting long range but stuff like this is just killing it for those who choose to do it responsibly.

"Hunting must involve the risk of detection and failure if there is to be any honor in having overcome the superior senses and survival instincts of the hunted. "

That's why I like to fire a couple warning shots at 1000 yards. Let's the animals know I'm there. Gets them on the move for a more challenging kill.

Ethics problem: solved.

The sentiment of was also in the quote you gave. I highlighted it. I'm not into the "honor" so much as just being practical about the finite resource. Actually the whole article is riddled with statements about the importance of animals being able to be part of the hunt, concluding with

The entire point of me posting that section was their definition of "Long Range Shooting". They define "long range shooting" as the INTENT to shoot at the longest ranges possible, or the INTENT to push your abilities on game. I have not seen a single person say on here that they want to take potentially risky shots to prove that they can. And the INTENT to not give the animals a chance. It would be like saying, I've never shot a game animal at 500yds. This year, I'm going to shoot everything past 500yds. That is not the case, just hypothetical to make the point...

As Mr. Sinclair, myself and others have stated, we do not go into the field with the intent to take risky shots at the ragged edge of our abilities or our equipment's capabilities. We look for any opportunities to close distance. In doing so, there is motivation and risk of the animal sensing us. We know our capabilities, and do everything we can to take the best shot we can; and if that shot does not match up with our abilities will make the call to pass the shot. That seems (to me) to line up with managing the resource effectively.

It can happen to the best shooter, as I missed a buck at 70 yards this fall.

Needless to say, I went and bought a more expensive German scope to put on that rifle. Money makes me a better hunter.

I'm sure Sinclair is a bloodhound and it isn't an issue for him, but a sparse blood trail can be hard enough to find without adding the uncertainty of not knowing exactly where it was standing. This can be a real problem with cross canyon shots into areas without obvious landmarks. It is all too easy to believe you missed - and missing does happen unless our host is faking them on his TV show.
I applaud Randy for showing his misses, I'm sure we all miss sometimes. Also I have NEVER seen Randy take one of those shot where you can pour a cup of coffee while waiting for the bullet to reach the animal.

I applaud Randy for showing his misses, I'm sure we all miss sometimes. Also I have NEVER seen Randy take one of those shot where you can pour a cup of coffee while waiting for the bullet to reach the animal.

So Randy is now the ethical bar for hunttalkers? Whatever he does is OK? Whatever he doesn't do is off-limits?

"Thanks for posting this from Berger. Made precisely, designed thoughtfully, hunter choosing and acknowledging your abilities...........engaging your brain before engaging your target be it paper, metal or flesh."

How refreshing it would be if internet users did the same.

Threads like this make me feel even more happy about killing a lot of my animals with open sighted rifles. There is something satisfying about being a hunter, and not just a killer.

Threads like this make me feel even more happy about killing a lot of my animals with open sighted rifles. There is something satisfying about being a hunter, and not just a killer.

Don't kid yourself, your worse than a wolf, killer. ;)

I truly believe some of the long range shooters now don't try to get as close as they can. For them It's all about how far away they can be when They whack that animal. To them it is not about hunting anymore just sniping.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jon_G
Back