Living somewhere other than the U.S., where would you move too ?

Too foreign a thought... Pun intended.

God bless America.

Many countries I'd love to visit though permanent residence? Has me stumped. I'd work elsewhere on a 3-5 year assignment though not permanently.

Some hard to find small island with lots of game and fish, clean water and enough of it to support me about 15-20 of my closest family. Oh and beyond the reach of technology.

I find the posts about NZ interesting :) I agree with your points 2 and 3 in your review about NZ. Housing affordability is amongst the worst in the world and we are in the middle of nowhere. But not sure about hunting getting ugly, our liberal greenie types actually want big game removed from NZ so they aren't really a problem. Other groups (gun control and animal welfare) may be a problem but its a different dynamic than the US.
Yep, the gun control aspect is what was influencing my thoughts. I hope that is not the case in the end :)

BC. Stone sheep, salmon, and wine.
What do you think of that, @Europe?

My first thought was. I wonder if he is married and if not, how he feels about dating older women (-;

Harley---Touche (-:

SFC B----Thank you !

Salmonchaser. You would love either or both, and not just the hunting. Beautiful countries and the fishing in both countries is also good. If you get to Africa, give Tiger fishing a go. I personally feel that Namibia is the best country in Africa to visit and hunt, especially in the north.

and thanks to ALL who responded, enjoyed reading the replies, thank you.

p.s. hunting wife, being on quarantine, have you and hunting husband finished off all that home brew yet ? (-: (-;

I lived on the north coast of England for about 7 years many years ago. I've always had an affinity for the Lake District and northern Scotland so either would be an option.
Iceland would be a wildcard as would Norway.
Argentina sounds interesting as does New Zealand.
NWT or Yukon would be a strong possibility too.

Parklands region, Saskatchewan. We intended to move there a few years ago right after I retired ... long story.

Gonna have to travel before I make that decision...

Alberta, British Columbia
New Zealand, Australia
Pyrenees, France
Azores, Portugual
Dolomites, Italy
Steppes of Mongolia and Russia
Argentina and Chile

You can bet it won't be any where humid and tropical.

NW Yunnan up close to Tibet where the mountains start getting big. Good climate most of the year but plenty of cold and snow if you head up. Government is a pain but they are a long ways away. I'd have to rent, don't trust the corruption. That old road to Zhongdian somwhere where pines grow.

Or NW Laos up next to the Burma border, good sized hills even if it's a little warm. You can be left alone there. Lots of villages a long way from anywhere a motorcycle can go.

Both places would be hell if you needed health care. Lots of wildlife still.

I speak some languages and am comfortable.

I would love to return to my "heart country" which is Kenya, but like any place, the Kenya of my childhood is long gone. Replaced with urban slums and pollution like to be found in a first world country, a near total loss of hunting, Nairobi still pulls at me. Now Ms Europe, if we could travel in place and time, no doubt it would be Kenya just after independence, or even before the Second Great War if permitted to really time travel.

NZ and the other land of AUS (Kansas is really the land of OZ, and aaahhhhhs!) for the ability to live an almost frontier life with access to the trappings of civilization. Speaking the language would help as well, even if I would have the weird accent.

My trips to Norway have always been enjoyable, I just seem to fit in, no radical differences or attitudes. English is commonly spoken, fishing and hunting galore, Moose, Roe Deer, Red Deer everywhere. Moose is almost a pest animal. The people are friendly, helpful and just generally nice. I think some of it has to do with the winters, either pull together or die.

I stopped on the autobahn in Germany for a Norwegian guy with a flat tire on his motorcycle. We got him loaded up in the back of my pickup and I drove him to a tire shop. I let him crash on the couch overnight. I now have an open invitation for Moose hunting most anytime I get the urge. :) The fishing is unbelievable. The women are really friendly. :)

Interesting that so many people that say NWT? Why? I've yet to run into a person that lives there or has, that was in love with it. Most of it is a miserable cold, flat, bug infested wasteland. Access to good hunting is very $$$. For instance there are like 12 sheep killed a year by residents, and 250 by NR. There is a reason that it only has 40,000 residents, and half of them live in Yellowknife (it makes Butte Montana look like paradise). I'd chose the Yukon, far better access to hunting ground, prettier country, closer to the ocean/rivers for salmon fishing are closer, near Alaska, etc. BC wouldn't be bad, and AU/NZ would be a good choice as well.

Back