Living somewhere other than the U.S., where would you move too ?

I really like variety. There are very few countries with gnarly mountains and coral reefs. I'm going with Italy (one very small reef just recently discovered), plus I hear the market's down over there. ;)

Then I suppose I'd go with just cold, Canada... or warm with Belize.

Namibia,
Argentina.
Never been to either country. I have clients every summer, they come to fish for Silvers and giant Rainbows from each of these countries. They are convinced I would enjoy life there immensely.

Germany near extended family. Besides that, some similarities to the Midwest. Enjoy the food, beer, and culture.

New Zealand, my parents spent some time there before I was born and still rave about the pace of life, hunting and fishing etc. I'm fluent in Spanish so I've thought of the Patagonia region of Argentina, or even parts of Spain...

For me, I'd move to Wyoming. I think it is the only place outside of Canada I like as much as where I currently live.
There is a reason Wyoming has so few people, yet places like Montana, Idaho, and Colorado are/were thriving. With coal and oil in the crapper along with a pandemic this state is going to really struggle with budgets the next few years. Will be a great time to get some real estate in Wyoming.

Europe, great to have another thought provoker from you :)

Uncle Sugar has allowed/forced me to live several places OCONUS. I spent 4 years in Vicenza, IT, a year in Icklingham,UK and Kaiserslautern, DE (These locations allowed for travel through large swaths of Europe) along with trips to and through several desert locations in Asia. A few of my observations....and these are those mixed with my own insightful opinions ;)

1) I will never, EVER go to the nasty ass desert again unless physically restrained, kidnapped and dropped there. I am NOT a fan of hot weather anywhere but a beach, I don't like bugs, I don't care for sand and I hate dust storms. The hottest verified temp I know I was in was 129F in the swappy delta of Jalalabad filled with malaria carrying mosquitoes. No thanks.......

2) There are a lot of very nice things and places in Europe but I find life for most Europeans to be very compartmentalized and limited. Freedoms largely infringed upon, no public land to speak of and a loss of identity among large swaths of the population (especially the younger folks). Village life is cute but the way government has been installed into nearly every aspect and the false sense of security the continent enjoys thanks to our military presence there generally give me a jaded perspective.

Sooooo with those prefaces in mind here is my list of sorts.....

1) Canada.....NW or Yukon. Although I am not a fan some of the more liberal leanings of the political atmosphere I think that it is "Western" enough in those provinces to afford me the freedom I require. Add to that the game opportunities, the space, my almost insane attractions to cold weather and cutting firewood and it seems like a good fit. Familiarity with the language (mostly ;) ) and relative proximity to family give some advantage.

2) Bavaria..... I specifically listed Bavaria instead the generic Germany. Bavaria is simply the best of Germany. Strong outdoor/hunting traditions and opportunities within the Alps and the forests to the north. I must mention, however, that hunting is of the European model so not on par with what we are used to for opportunity. Munich, my favorite large city in the world. Wonderful food and beer (Oktoberfest for the love of all things holy!). Above all are the people. Bayerisch are the epitome of work hard/efficiently but still enjoy life. Unlike the stoic, serious Germans as you head north, Bayerisch are warm, welcoming and ALWAYS looking to have a good time. As a cherry on top for me, Bavaria is still a region where faith is important. Much of Europe is almost entirely secular at this point and the outlook/attitude/habits of the people reflect that. If you are interested in seeing the best of the Alps with some mild touristy fringes Garmisch=Partenkirchen is one of my favorite places....feel free to ask me about it ;)

3) Slovenia/Slovakia/Czech Republic..... These regions hold many similarities with Bavaria. Language would be the huge barrier to a life ( at least in the country) there. Once away from major cities it can become difficult to communicate. Price is a positive factor but navigating the legal transfer of land could be troublesome. Lots of traditions very similar to Bavaria and great folks.

I really want to list NZ as the hunting opportunities seem to be incredible but 3 things stop me 1) Political situation. I have lived places (WA state) where a large rural/wilderness area and its outdoor oriented population is controlled by a liberal population base that inhabits a VERY small portion of the land mass. I see things getting ugly for hunters in the fairly near future there. 2) Relative cost for land and cost of living 3) Distance from friends and family

**** Wildcard!! I do LOVE the Scottish Highlands for stark beauty, whisky and rough folks ;) ********

I would choose the country of Michigan - since it is no longer American. You can buy marijuana, cigarettes, booze and tobacco but not hardware and building supplies....its an up and coming Maoist/Marxist/Leninist utopia🙂

Europe, great to have another thought provoker from you :)

Uncle Sugar has allowed/forced me to live several places OCONUS. I spent 4 years in Vicenza, IT, a year in Icklingham,UK and Kaiserslautern, DE (These locations allowed for travel through large swaths of Europe) along with trips to and through several desert locations in Asia. A few of my observations....and these are those mixed with my own insightful opinions ;)

1) I will never, EVER go to the nasty ass desert again unless physically restrained, kidnapped and dropped there. I am NOT a fan of hot weather anywhere but a beach, I don't like bugs, I don't care for sand and I hate dust storms. The hottest verified temp I know I was in was 129F in the swappy delta of Jalalabad filled with malaria carrying mosquitoes. No thanks.......

2) There are a lot of very nice things and places in Europe but I find life for most Europeans to be very compartmentalized and limited. Freedoms largely infringed upon, no public land to speak of and a loss of identity among large swaths of the population (especially the younger folks). Village life is cute but the way government has been installed into nearly every aspect and the false sense of security the continent enjoys thanks to our military presence there generally give me a jaded perspective.

Sooooo with those prefaces in mind here is my list of sorts.....

1) Canada.....NW or Yukon. Although I am not a fan some of the more liberal leanings of the political atmosphere I think that it is "Western" enough in those provinces to afford me the freedom I require. Add to that the game opportunities, the space, my almost insane attractions to cold weather and cutting firewood and it seems like a good fit. Familiarity with the language (mostly ;) ) and relative proximity to family give some advantage.

2) Bavaria..... I specifically listed Bavaria instead the generic Germany. Bavaria is simply the best of Germany. Strong outdoor/hunting traditions and opportunities within the Alps and the forests to the north. I must mention, however, that hunting is of the European model so not on par with what we are used to for opportunity. Munich, my favorite large city in the world. Wonderful food and beer (Oktoberfest for the love of all things holy!). Above all are the people. Bayerisch are the epitome of work hard/efficiently but still enjoy life. Unlike the stoic, serious Germans as you head north, Bayerisch are warm, welcoming and ALWAYS looking to have a good time. As a cherry on top for me, Bavaria is still a region where faith is important. Much of Europe is almost entirely secular at this point and the outlook/attitude/habits of the people reflect that. If you are interested in seeing the best of the Alps with some mild touristy fringes Garmisch=Partenkirchen is one of my favorite places....feel free to ask me about it ;)

3) Slovenia/Slovakia/Czech Republic..... These regions hold many similarities with Bavaria. Language would be the huge barrier to a life ( at least in the country) there. Once away from major cities it can become difficult to communicate. Price is a positive factor but navigating the legal transfer of land could be troublesome. Lots of traditions very similar to Bavaria and great folks.

I really want to list NZ as the hunting opportunities seem to be incredible but 3 things stop me 1) Political situation. I have lived places (WA state) where a large rural/wilderness area and its outdoor oriented population is controlled by a liberal population base that inhabits a VERY small portion of the land mass. I see things getting ugly for hunters in the fairly near future there. 2) Relative cost for land and cost of living 3) Distance from friends and family

**** Wildcard!! I do LOVE the Scottish Highlands for stark beauty, whisky and rough folks ;) ********
I find the posts about NZ interesting :) I agree with your points 2 and 3 in your review about NZ. Housing affordability is amongst the worst in the world and we are in the middle of nowhere. But not sure about hunting getting ugly, our liberal greenie types actually want big game removed from NZ so they aren't really a problem. Other groups (gun control and animal welfare) may be a problem but its a different dynamic than the US.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back