Living somewhere other than the U.S., where would you move too ?

Interesting that so many people that say NWT? Why? I've yet to run into a person that lives there or has, that was in love with it. Most of it is a miserable cold, flat, bug infested wasteland. Access to good hunting is very $$$. For instance there are like 12 sheep killed a year by residents, and 250 by NR. There is a reason that it only has 40,000 residents, and half of them live in Yellowknife (it makes Butte Montana look like paradise). I'd chose the Yukon, far better access to hunting ground, prettier country, closer to the ocean/rivers for salmon fishing are closer, near Alaska, etc. BC wouldn't be bad, and AU/NZ would be a good choice as well.

Anyone thinking about moving to Canada, should avoid The Yukon Territories, at all cost. B.C., Al, Sask. are all much better choices than The Yukon Territories. I notice from time to time the hatred you fellows have for the Wolf and the Yukon has approx 5000 of them. Your afraid to go to the outhouse alone. Listen to Bambistew and go to B.C., Au or NZ.

My first choice would be New Zealand by far, maybe BC Canada a distant second, perhaps Norway or Sweden as even more distant third...

First and foremost let me say, I have traveled extensively and there is NO PLACE better than the United States to live---In my humble opinion. I love the United States, even with all her warts, blemishes, and mis steps from time to time, she is my home and I love her. God Bless America.

But, since we are all in isolation and have a bit of time on our hands, if you and your family were to move to a different country, which country would you choose ?

For me it would be a hard choice for me to choice between Canada and Argentina.

Canada is a beautiful country with some EXCELLENT hunting. If I choose Canada it would be the NorthWest Territories.

I have a very close friend who left Sweden and moved to Argentina. I love Argentina, a least on their ranch. It is a huge ranch, with cattle and horse's and that is always a plus for me. The big game hunting is pretty diverse and game is plentiful. The bird hunting will simply boggle ones mind--if you enjoy bird hunting, and the fishing is also good. The weather works for me a bit better than Canada and I must be honest, another plus for me --I would be close to both B. A. and Rio--love those two towns.

If I was to select a second home to satisfy my urge to sail and since I have already done Europe, via the Mediterranean,I believe I would choose Fiji . I love Fiji and it is close to both New Zealand and Australia, which are wonderful places to visit.

And you ?

Canada and New Zealand would be easy choices.

As for Argentina, it was my favorite Latin American country until it was devastated by economic crisis 20 years ago. The loss of the middle class and the dramatic increase in crime made BA feel a lot just like any other LatAm mess. Very sad. Argentina 1995 on the list, Argentina 2020 not so much.

Canada and New Zealand would be easy choices.

As for Argentina, it was my favorite Latin American country until it was devastated by economic crisis 20 years ago. The loss of the middle class and the dramatic increase in crime made BA feel a lot just like any other LatAm mess. Very sad. Argentina 1995 on the list, Argentina 2020 not so much.

It seems like most of the Latin American countries have some sort of economic or political upheaval every 10-20 years, so those are all out, and I love Cost Rica but you can't hunt there...

We have a group of guys from Argentina who come fish with us every summer. They are very guarded in describing the situation down there. They are however fine gentlemen, as a group extraordinary fly casters, great fun to guide. I think every one can throw 100 feet into the wind. None understand the short game, unwilling it seems to cast to a 30 inch Rainbow or 15 lb Silver 10 feet off their rod tip.
I still would like to go down there....

Saskatchewan, New Zealand, or maybe I’d just go back to the Canary Islands Spain, I made some really great friends there.

I dunno. I've always thought a wingshooting trip to argentina would be damn cool, but with the current political climate I'm going to wimp out. I've never spent any time overseas, so I can't really comment much, but if we have to move, I'm thinking southern hemisphere, either argentina, or maybe new zealand.

Lived in Europe for several years, and visit Canada when I can. I've had a far fetched dream to own/operate a fish camp in Sask! My list;

1. Canada
Has everything want minus real DQ blizzard flavors
2. Cayman islands.
No real snakes, ceviche, fishing, diving and awesome year round weather.

Slovenia almost made the list based purely on Lake Bled and cream cake. Can't forget the veno.

Altai, Russia - working under the assumption I am suddenly independently wealthy and on buddy basis with the Russian oligarchy, of course. My own chopper would be nice. Maybe a half track, as well. 🤪
Alps - Austria or Northern Italy, preferably, or Slovenia or Bavaria. Not Switzerland.
Canada - southern Alberta or southwest Sask prairie would be alright by me with the birding.

Highlands in Scotland would be my wife's pick. I wouldn't be opposed because stag hunting and the fishing would be fun!

Been to NZ a few times, it is a beauty place. Very social government. Their leader just decided that she will postpone their election.

Norway, Sweden or Finland. I was stationed in Germany and those countries are basically Europe’s version of remote Canada and Alaska.

I think I will stay in the USA. It is large enough and diverse enough for me to continue to find a place to be at peace. If I had to choose a place outside, it would be Costa Rica (getting expensive) or Thailand (military dictatorship) both give me pause but Thailand is called ‘The Land of Smiles’ for a reason. Bangkok at rush hour (Population 11,000,000) and not a horn or profanity laced tantrum to be seen or heard. At least that was my experience a few years ago. If I didn’t have hunting I would need to be near the ocean again, and might as well be warm.

I really like variety. There are very few countries with gnarly mountains and coral reefs. I'm going with Italy (one very small reef just recently discovered), plus I hear the market's down over there. ;)

Then I suppose I'd go with just cold, Canada... or warm with Belize.

Recently I read about some town, in southern Italy I think, where you can buy a house for a dollar. Catch is you have to stay there though to keep it.

Back