Lifted F150 w/ Ecoboost

That 4.6 never had power to start with though, look at the numbers on the Eco boost.

As much torque as that motors making, I don't think you'd lose much by lifting it a little bit.

My 310 hp/310 ft/lbs 5.3 liter Chevy has a six inch lift on it, and I get about 2-3 MPG worse than a stock height one would. I bet you'd lose maybe 2 mpg tops.

Hopefully one of the companies follows the lead and starts building a six cylinder turbo diesel for halftons.

I agree on a half ton diesel truck. The closest thing out there is a 07 or older Dodge 2500 with the 5.9 Cummins or and old chevy 1/2 ton with the 6.5 diesel which is not even comparable to a cummins. .

On a side note I have a Jeep grand cherokee with the 3.0 diesel and it is sweet. Same motor as they use in the sprinter vans. Gets 20-25 mpg, pretty good compared to the hemi gas engine option. Even that 3.0 liter diesel motor in a half ton would be plenty of power and still get good mielage. Too bad it will never happen in a 1/2 ton truck. Maybe a sprinter with a pickup bed conversion is the best bet.

It's interesting that in as of the new requirements in 2007 our diesel vehicles had less emissions but required more fuel to operate so I'm not seeing what the environment really gained if ultimately the decision led to more fossil fuel being burned in the USA. If anything it increased our consumption of fuel and helped raise fuel prices.

If there are no major problems that come up on the Eco boost I'll probably own one in the next 18 months... If gas goes back below $3 the birds/bucks better look out!

That'd be nice, but modern EPA regulations have essentially nutered the diesel engine we all know and love. Diesel engines run fairly clean, especially in light vehicles, they've been the target of many regulations in the last 10 years, that have took away all of the economy advantages they had for the most part, aside from still getting better mileage when towing, and on top of that, they've been priced out of the market.

A small V8 or V6 diesel, in a half ton would be easily capable of getting 25-30 mpg, with 2005 emissions requirements, but the modern diesels and the requirements mean lots of effieceny is lost, in the form of creating extra heat to help burn off particulate matter and with 2010 emmisons requirements diesel extra treatment via Urea Injection. These havent come cheap, and have alot to do with the increased cost of pickups, diesel and gas. Diesels would literally be priced out of the market had purchasers of diesel been left to pick up the tab, but to cut costs of the diesel option to a more "reasonable" $10,000, companies have used all pickup sales to in essence subsidize diesel option prices.

Its insane to think that in 2007 every big 3 manufactorer had a half ton diesel engine slated for the following year, hundreds of millions of dollars worth of engineering, testing, research, etc. was already invested in these engines, for all 3 companies to permanently sideline them, because in reality, noone is going to pay $8,000+ for an engine that maybe gets a 1 or 2 mpg better mileage, you'll never recoup those costs at least HD customers could justify the need for a diesel yet. But without getting into the politics of it, barring any major changes light duty, diesels are dead. The intial investment vs recooperation costs due to fuel savings, probably will never add up for anyone that has bought a diesel since early 2007. It has been hinted by Ford, they may ditch the diesel in leiu of a direct injection gas engine, that would be somewhere inbetween current gas/diesel engines, yet have lower intial costs.

Its a little OT, but the manufactuers have and do listened, there arms are tied, they've stuck the money into the engines, if they could sell them and make a profit they would.

An 01-04 Duramax Federal emmisons Duramax say 2500hd crew cab/short box 4wd, would have no problem getting 18-22 mpg
Progressions through the different emissons requirements, have led us to a similary equiped truck in 2011 only capable of 12-15 mpg in stock form.

Really interesting... Thanks.
Any idea how Volkswagen gets around this?

Really interesting... Thanks.
Any idea how Volkswagen gets around this?

Cars have differenet emmisons Volks, Mercedes and BMW (maybe Audi too?) Sell diesel cars, they have strict emissons requirements as well, more so than even Europe, they must have enough of a market they can sell them or they're subsidizing the losses with other sales to a point. It also has alot to do with CAFE regulations to keep there avg MPG up across there fleet. Theres a CAFE fleet standard all the manufactuers have to meet, they offer vehicles that dont sell well, but get good mileage to bring the average up so they can sell SUV's and other vehicles that are below the CAFE regulations but consumers want. It'd be nice if these all these companies that sell diesel cars now sold them before the big diesel emissons regulation, so it'd be more transparent what these regulations actually cost consumers in cost and fuel economy.

Chrysley offered a Jeep Liberty with a diesel, for awhile until it no longer meet emissons standards it was a sweet little ride, it'd be the perfect solo hunting ride for long trips, great mileage mid 20's, resonable storage space and repectable off-road characteristics when compared to a pick up. That'll be my next purchase.

An 01-04 Duramax Federal emmisons Duramax say 2500hd crew cab/short box 4wd, would have no problem getting 18-22 mpg
Progressions through the different emissons requirements, have led us to a similary equiped truck in 2011 only capable of 12-15 mpg in stock form.

Gotta disagree with this part of your post.

I have the an 04 Duramax and from all the information I've read the LB7 engine in those models was and still is the best for mileage out of any. Not sure why but the newer models aren't coming close to those 01-04's.

Brudno you may want to find someone with a liberty and take it out before you buy one. The 4x4 system is very capable as long as you stay on good roads bu the ground clearance is more like a Subaru than a pickup. I'm fairly certain the diesel was doped do to dismal sales numbers rather than emissions standards.

I have the an 04 Duramax and from all the information I've read the LB7 engine in those models was and still is the best for mileage out of any. Not sure why but the newer models aren't coming close to those 01-04's.

I had the late 2006 version, don't remember the designation, and averaged around 15.5 - 16, although that was with a slightly larger tire a 265 instead of the 245's that came on it. In my 2011 model for the most part I am getting between 17 - 18 mpg. All these numbers are based on a 75 - 80 mph highway trip.

I had the late 2006 version, don't remember the designation, and averaged around 15.5 - 16, although that was with a slightly larger tire a 265 instead of the 245's that came on it. In my 2011 model for the most part I am getting between 17 - 18 mpg. All these numbers are based on a 75 - 80 mph highway trip.

Actual calculated numbers or DIC numbers? Either way I'd say your far and away the exception. I feel sorry for all the guys that traded away there LMMs to get LMLs with the promise of better mileage that hasn't materialized yet.

My 08 got 13.5 MPG hand calculated it gets 16-17 hand calculated without the DPF or cat with a 6 inch lift and my own tuning. 18 or even a little better would be possible if I could drive it nicer.

Last edited:
You bring up a good point. Those numbers are what the computer shows. Haven't actually done the math to see if it jives or not. Will check it the next time I fill up.

The Cummins is gone...I got rid of it a few months ago as it was sitting in the driveway with it's hands in his pockets doing nothing. Bought a nice car back in Sept and preferred to fill it up once a week for $60 vice the truck $130 x2 a week. The plan was to buy a Jeep and tinker around with it, but recently found out I am headed back to Alaska in Sept. Don't want to take a Jeep there and definitely not this car. I pulled the trigger on the Eco and had it down at the toy store today buying bling for it. 400 lbs of torque and 365 horsies before I chip it. I'll report back with performance numbers and pics later. Because I got the lift through Ford if anything fails on it before 60K, it's on their dime. Now I need to order that vanity plate.

The Cummins is gone...I got rid of it a few months ago as it was sitting in the driveway with it's hands in his pockets doing nothing. Bought a nice car back in Sept and preferred to fill it up once a week for $60 vice the truck $130 x2 a week. The plan was to buy a Jeep and tinker around with it, but recently found out I am headed back to Alaska in Sept. Don't want to take a Jeep there and definitely not this car. I pulled the trigger on the Eco and had it down at the toy store today buying bling for it. 400 lbs of torque and 365 horsies before I chip it. I'll report back with performance numbers and pics later. Because I got the lift through Ford if anything fails on it before 60K, it's on their dime. Now I need to order that vanity plate.

:hump:right on!

Fords ads for the Ecoboost are very impressive. I even thought about one but $40K after rebates and incentives makes my old 7.3 PS look pretty good.

I would check with ford ,but I know a if you install a chip in some vehicles it will void your warranty and even if you remove the chip or programer it will still show up when you scan the computer.

I would check with ford ,but I know a if you install a chip in some vehicles it will void your warranty and even if you remove the chip or programer it will still show up when you scan the computer.

Except on Mads Electronics (Smarty, Smarty JR) programmers for Cummins.. They leave no footprint, but that is neither here nor there since were talking about Turds.

Some stealerships will allow programmers/chips and not void the warranty if you buy from them, just depends on the stealership.

Later is here. :)

Your money may be better spent protecting your intercoolers and rads if you hit one of the deer you all are famous for.....:D

Attachments

• F7 Proto CLS1 3.jpg
    F7 Proto CLS1 3.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 934
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back