MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Lifted F150 w/ Ecoboost

Ovis

Anyone have an Eco with a lift? Considering this as my next purchase, 4" suspension and 35" of fancy footwear.

Although it does sound interesting, I would cruise the Offroad Forums and read about it so your not the one ragging on "What can I do to make this work?". I heard Ford will have an Ecoboost 3 banger for about 40% of their cars. John

O, Just checked the Mail and Peterson's 4-Wheel Magazine came for my son, it has a section on Lifting a F-150 Ecoboost! It is Part 2 of 3? There seem to be things like the Cooler and the steering you have to adapt to make a lift possible. Might check it out at a Library or online? John

Mid life crisis?

Must be from Utah ;) They can't have anything stock on their trucks. All the goodies and then some massive sticker in the back window that says GLADIATORS and is a picture of 2 bull elk fighting. :confused:

Sorry Ovis I'm not much help, I would suggest getting ahold of those issues of Peterson's to see what they have for info.

Must be from Utah They can't have anything stock on their trucks. All the goodies and then some massive sticker in the back window that says GLADIATORS and is a picture of 2 bull elk fighting.
There is so much truth to that, that it is silly!!!

Ovis, you need the lift for a 'bou hunt off the haul road? :D

Thanks Draft, I will check that out.

Pointer, I need this lift to make my sack feel bigger. I plan to get vanity plates for it that read "CMPNS8N".

Lifting it might negate any economy advantages the eco boost engine might have, a little engine short on torque aint going to like turning 35's either. You can probably think back on it everytime any of the truck manufacters come out with a small engine claiming it has the capabilites of a bigger engine the results usually dont match up to the claims. Most times, the little engine is working so much harder than the bigger option you dont see any net gains.

examples that come to mind

Dodge coming out with the 4.7 liter V8 to replace all there magnum 5.2 and 5.9 V8's in 2003 when they switched body styles. Floundered big time, poor mileage, low power. Dodge introduces there 5.7 hemi shortly there after.

Ford 4.6 V8 in any of there pickups or SUV's fails in comparison to the 5.4 V8. 4.6 has less power and roughly the same mileage, worse when towing.

Chevy/GMC HD's 01-06, there 6.0L V8 in comparison to the 8.1, 6.0 does slighty better unloaded, the 8.1 has much more power, gets at least the same mileage when towing or being worked.

If your dead set on a lift and tires, you should be dead set on a diesel if you want to retain any kind of fuel economy, in comparison to stock configuration. Beside's you lift a truck you need an exhaust, I'm pretty sure its mandatory, I doubt the V6 ecoboost would sound good.

And you already had a manly truck. What's wrong with the Dodge Cummins you ordered from Idaho?

If you have a Dodge with a cummins and you want a lifted truck that still gets pretty good mielage you should propably be looking at lift kits instead of trucks, IMO.

Lifting it might negate any economy advantages the eco boost engine might have, a little engine short on torque aint going to like turning 35's either. You can probably think back on it everytime any of the truck manufacters come out with a small engine claiming it has the capabilites of a bigger engine the results usually dont match up to the claims. Most times, the little engine is working so much harder than the bigger option you dont see any net gains.

examples that come to mind

Dodge coming out with the 4.7 liter V8 to replace all there magnum 5.2 and 5.9 V8's in 2003 when they switched body styles. Floundered big time, poor mileage, low power. Dodge introduces there 5.7 hemi shortly there after.

Ford 4.6 V8 in any of there pickups or SUV's fails in comparison to the 5.4 V8. 4.6 has less power and roughly the same mileage, worse when towing.

Chevy/GMC HD's 01-06, there 6.0L V8 in comparison to the 8.1, 6.0 does slighty better unloaded, the 8.1 has much more power, gets at least the same mileage when towing or being worked.

If your dead set on a lift and tires, you should be dead set on a diesel if you want to retain any kind of fuel economy, in comparison to stock configuration. Beside's you lift a truck you need an exhaust, I'm pretty sure its mandatory, I doubt the V6 ecoboost would sound good.

You examples are dead on, I owned the 4.6l f150 and it was worthless, so I traded it in on a 6 cyl cummins... But now the cummins has 140k on it and the dodge transmission sucks... So I'm looking at the Eco boost hard, I just have a tough time pulling the trigger on that small of a block putting out that much power/torque guess we will see if they hold up as well as the "torture test". But the point of the Eco boost is it puts out over 400 foot pounds of torque...

I had an F-150 with the 4.6 plus all the upgrades you can think of to kick in a few extra horses. I pulled a camper to Durango on an Elk hunt. You would not believe the RPMs I put on that engine and I got 7 miles per gallon. It was trash when I got back, traded for a 5.4 as fast as I could. John

I had an F-150 with the 4.6 plus all the upgrades you can think of to kick in a few extra horses. I pulled a camper to Durango on an Elk hunt. You would not believe the RPMs I put on that engine and I got 7 miles per gallon. It was trash when I got back, traded for a 5.4 as fast as I could. John

That 4.6 never had power to start with though, look at the numbers on the Eco boost.

As much torque as that motors making, I don't think you'd lose much by lifting it a little bit.

My 310 hp/310 ft/lbs 5.3 liter Chevy has a six inch lift on it, and I get about 2-3 MPG worse than a stock height one would. I bet you'd lose maybe 2 mpg tops.

Hopefully one of the companies follows the lead and starts building a six cylinder turbo diesel for halftons.

That 4.6 never had power to start with though, look at the numbers on the Eco boost.

As much torque as that motors making, I don't think you'd lose much by lifting it a little bit.

My 310 hp/310 ft/lbs 5.3 liter Chevy has a six inch lift on it, and I get about 2-3 MPG worse than a stock height one would. I bet you'd lose maybe 2 mpg tops.

Hopefully one of the companies follows the lead and starts building a six cylinder turbo diesel for halftons.

That'd be nice, but modern EPA regulations have essentially nutered the diesel engine we all know and love. Diesel engines run fairly clean, especially in light vehicles, they've been the target of many regulations in the last 10 years, that have took away all of the economy advantages they had for the most part, aside from still getting better mileage when towing, and on top of that, they've been priced out of the market.

A small V8 or V6 diesel, in a half ton would be easily capable of getting 25-30 mpg, with 2005 emissions requirements, but the modern diesels and the requirements mean lots of effieceny is lost, in the form of creating extra heat to help burn off particulate matter and with 2010 emmisons requirements diesel extra treatment via Urea Injection. These havent come cheap, and have alot to do with the increased cost of pickups, diesel and gas. Diesels would literally be priced out of the market had purchasers of diesel been left to pick up the tab, but to cut costs of the diesel option to a more "reasonable" $10,000, companies have used all pickup sales to in essence subsidize diesel option prices.

Its insane to think that in 2007 every big 3 manufactorer had a half ton diesel engine slated for the following year, hundreds of millions of dollars worth of engineering, testing, research, etc. was already invested in these engines, for all 3 companies to permanently sideline them, because in reality, noone is going to pay $8,000+ for an engine that maybe gets a 1 or 2 mpg better mileage, you'll never recoup those costs at least HD customers could justify the need for a diesel yet. But without getting into the politics of it, barring any major changes light duty, diesels are dead. The intial investment vs recooperation costs due to fuel savings, probably will never add up for anyone that has bought a diesel since early 2007. It has been hinted by Ford, they may ditch the diesel in leiu of a direct injection gas engine, that would be somewhere inbetween current gas/diesel engines, yet have lower intial costs.

Its a little OT, but the manufactuers have and do listened, there arms are tied, they've stuck the money into the engines, if they could sell them and make a profit they would.

An 01-04 Duramax Federal emmisons Duramax say 2500hd crew cab/short box 4wd, would have no problem getting 18-22 mpg
Progressions through the different emissons requirements, have led us to a similary equiped truck in 2011 only capable of 12-15 mpg in stock form.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back