Leupold VX-3 vs. VX-6

npaden

Okay, so I'm about talked into trying a Leupold scope. There are some crazy sale prices going on right now on the VX-3 but my scope budget is closer to the VX-6 and they don't seem to be discounted as much as the VX-3 right now anyway.

So what's the difference between the VX-3 and the VX-6? Better glass in the VX-6? Better quality of components for the CDS turrets? If I step up to the VX-6 should I be looking at Zeiss or Leica or something like that instead?

Anyone that has experience with both of them?

Thanks, Nathan

magnification range is the only difference I'm aware of.

For hunting, I can't imagine needing more glass than a 3.5-10x40 with an elevation turret. The CDS model can be had for $350ish after rebate.

I hunt with 22x and will never buy less than 14, been there. Pretty much personal preference.
The VX-3 was never built to spin the turrets. If you go that route send it in and have them upgrade the erector assy. They're adding an additional/upgraded spring to help. My experience with Leupold was not a good one. Others have had good luck with them. If I had to buy one, it would be the -6.
The $1200-$1400 price range is kind of a no mans land. You can get a Vortex PST for less than $1,000 but they're a crap shoot as they're not mechanically tested prior to you getting it. The componants are pretty good though. Next step up is a Nightforce NXS for $1,900. In between are several including the -6 and the Nightforce SHV. I haven't checked on the SHV to see if it's shipped loose and reassembled/bonded, and tested like the NXS. I'm sure Leupold also mechanically tests the -6 but I don't know their specs. I would search youtube for tracking tests on any scope you are looking at. Some are pretty bad.

Last edited:
Wow, that's a heavy scope though. 24 oz compared to 13 oz for the Leupold VX-3.

I would be carting that thing up and down mountains and then spinning the turrets. I guess if I got a light enough rifle it might even itself out.

What's the rifle it's going on and how far do you want to be able to shoot?

If you want lighter, you could go with the 3-9. But it's not a lot lighter.

Do you want to spin turrets or not? That's the deciding factor. If not, then you can go with Leupold.

I make scope parts, there's a reason for the weight difference generally starting with the tube wall thickness and on from there.

I cart my 13# hunting rifle all over and spin the turret. I wouldn't buy a scope based on weight.

Last edited:
Get a VX-3. Its a rifle scope, not a spotting scope. I can't imagine what you could do with a VX-6 that you couldn't do with a VX-3.

The glass is different. The VX-6 does have a more expensive glass and coating. You will see a new VX-3i coming in 2016 that will have the same glass and coatings the VX-6 has. Given what does into that new glass and coatings, I suspect the VX-3i will be priced at more than the current VX-3.

It does come down to budgets and what you want to spend. The VX-3 is a very good scope, especially for the price you can pick them up right now. In fact, the value (price to performance intersection) of the VX-3 was top in class before the current rebates/pricing.

The VX-6 is even "gooder" and odds are you will not see them on sale, given Leupold is producing as many VX-6 as the Beaverton factory is set up to make and they still are not keeping up to demand on the VX-6.

...the x6, less than a lb. 30mm tube, firedot if you are so inclined. Clear, repeatable with the custom dial...and admittedly in your budget.

..no gloat.

Last edited:
I looked up the Leupold VX-6 2-12x42, 30mm tube- 17 ounces.

The SWFA 3-15x42 is 24 ounces. That's only 7 ounces. Really not that much of an increase for a scope that tracks properly. It's made with better components is why it's heavier.

It's also almost half the price of the Leupold.

Leupold VX-3 vs 6

I purchased the VX-3 for my AZ desert sheep hunt. (would love to post a photo if I could send it someone who knows how) I bought mine with the Boone and Crockett reticle and I am comfortable out to 450 to 500 yds which is plenty for me. Glass is clear and bright, but not quite up to my Zeiss Conquest. However, I prefer the reticle on the Leupold over the Zeiss rapid Z. Leupold is noticeably lighter.

Bill

Look real hard at the VX-2. I've pounded a couple pretty hard. So far, so good. mtmuley

I have a VX3 4.5 x 14 CDS on my 300. It is clear and bright and I have tested the dial system to 500 yards and it works. Wished I had a couple thousand bucks to buy a bunch of 3.5 x 10 and 4.5 x 14's with CDS.
Dan

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back