Leupold CDS help

Sjackson

In the process of sending away my CDS info, but Im a little handicapped in the data department.

Was wondering if anyone might have some real time date for this particular factory load with rifle setup??

Rifle- Browning Hells Canyon LR 7mm Rem Mag 26'' barrel
Load- Barnes 160 Grain TSX BT
Scope- Leupold VX5 3-15x44

I don't own a chronograph, but want to give Leupold the most accurate velocity I can while they build my CDS. Barnes states on there website 2950 ft/s.
Was wondering if anyone might be able to give me any feedback as to this number being accurate or barnes pumping up the numbers. Thanks guys.

In the process of sending away my CDS info, but Im a little handicapped in the data department.

Was wondering if anyone might have some real time date for this particular factory load with rifle setup??

Rifle- Browning Hells Canyon LR 7mm Rem Mag 26'' barrel
Load- Barnes 160 Grain TSX BT
Scope- Leupold VX5 3-15x44

I don't own a chronograph, but want to give Leupold the most accurate velocity I can while they build my CDS. Barnes states on there website 2950 ft/s.
Was wondering if anyone might be able to give me any feedback as to this number being accurate or barnes pumping up the numbers. Thanks guys.

If you don't get actual velocity out of your specific rifle you are better off sticking with the "MOA" markings on the factory turret and printing out a drop chart based on shooting actual distances at local range.

To get the most out of that system it helps to know the real world velocity. If you can send a few rounds through a chronograph that would be ideal. You can also just use whats printed on the box. Maybe add a few FPS for the 26" barrel.

I agree with @VikingsGuy you're better off making a data card than guessing muzzle velocity and sending it to leuppold to get a dial that puts you where you’re at right now. The sub tensions aren’t going to change. Buy 3-4 boxes of ammo, gather data and build a range card of your own. Guessing you’re holdover is stupid...that’s called Kentucky windage.

Like others have stated, using any velocity other that the actual chronographed velocity for your load is a Bad Idea.

There are often guys at ranges with a chronograph, so if you don't have a chronograph, start a conversation with one of those guys and ask if he would chrono 3 of your loads.

I have Leupold CDS scopes on 4 of my rifles. I have only had Leupold make a CDS turret for one load with one of these rifles. For the turrets on the other rifles, I have placed targets at 100, 200, 300, and 430 yards and have shot 3-shot groups at each yardage.
Starting with the 100 yard target, adjust the turret until you get the 100 yd zero where you want it to hit. Loosen the turret screws and set and lock the turret to that zero.
Then shoot 3-shot groups at each of the other ranges and rotate the turret until your group is in the center of the target at that range. Paint a small white dot or line on the top of your turret where that setting corresponds to that range.
You then have a turret that is customized to your loads at those ranges.

Run the MOA turret on it for right now. Figure out your dope for say out to 600 yards. Can then plug your data into a ballistics calculator and play with the velocity on calculator until your drops match what calculator is putting out. Then send data to Leupold

Back