Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

CDS Specs

Rodzilla

Hi guys, I am in the process of setting up my first CDS dial on my VX freedom 3-9X40 CDS. I am shooting a TC compass / 6.5 creedmore; setting it up for a basic Antelope/deer rifle (mostly hunt antelope/deer, hunting in NV, UT, WY). The load I am shooting is a Winchester XP loads, 125 grain w/ BC of .54, muzzle avg velocity of 2850 (stated in the box); Question, what general specs do you give to Leopold to set up your dial? What average altitude and temperature would be anyone advice to give? Thinking 6500 ft & avg temperature of 50?

You need actual data.
Remember, junk in = junk out.

Shoot your load over a chrono for real world velocities. And not just 5 shots.
The more raw data, the better the output data.
Then true your velocities(or your BC) at distance. Noting temp, elevation, barometer conditions.
After all this, consider temp, elevation of conditions your likely to experience when actually hunting.

Then bear in mind that your factory ammo could change at any time.
Factories are all about cost effectiveness.
If they find a powder that's slightly cheaper, think of the savings over millions of rounds.
Also bear in mind that your CDS won't work with a different bullet, or weight.
And if there's a shortage of that ammo?

Hence why i reload, and get scopes with MOA (MILs work if they work for you) dials and reticles.

MOA and MILs are universal.
I can change my elemental conditions in my ballistics calculator for any condition.
For speed/ ease of use, i can make drop charts that fit in my lens covers for drop/windage for given conditions.

Last edited:
You need actual data.
Remember, junk in = junk out.

Shoot your load over a chrono for real world velocities. And not just 5 shots.
The more raw data, the better the output data.
Then true your velocities(or your BC) at distance. Noting temp, elevation, barometer conditions.
After all this, consider temp, elevation of conditions your likely to experience when actually hunting.

Then bear in mind that your factory ammo could change at any time.
Factories are all about cost effectiveness.
If they find a powder that's slightly cheaper, think of the savings over millions of rounds.
Also bear in mind that your CDS won't work with a different bullet, or weight.
And if there's a shortage of that ammo?

Hence why i reload, and get scopes with MOA (MILs work if they work for you) dials and reticles.

MOA and MILs are universal.
I can change my elemental conditions in my ballistics calculator for any condition.
For speed/ ease of use, i can make drop charts that fit in my lens covers for drop/windage for given conditions.

Thank you for the response std7mag; very good insight; I am rookie with the CDS and I would hate to waste the free dial that comes with the purchase of the scope; I like the "garbage in garbage out" thought, I will have to rkeep that one in mind. I keep hearing that I should buy a Chrono; maybe I will see if my gun range has one to borrow. I chose the load because it was cheap and easily available (never thought about them changing the load/however slightly i agree would change the point of impact). Goal is to eventually reload. If you don't mind me asking is there a ballistic calculator that you recommend?

Strelok Pro.

Thousands of different reticles.
Velocity, or BC truing.
Can connect bluetooth to 7 different wind/weather stations, or use internet weather. (Although that is usually the closest airport. Could be 20 or more miles away).
Large database of bullets, with G1 & G7 form. Allows ton of different rifles, and cartridges.
Adjustments to scope in either inches, mils, clicks, MOA.
Table for speed, flight time, energy at different yardages, different color to show when bullet goes subsonic.

And it's on your phone, which lets face it is usually with us anyways.

Last edited:
Strelok Pro.

Thousands of different reticles.
Velocity, or BC truing.
Can connect bluetooth to 7 different wind/weather stations, or use internet weather. (Although that is usually the closest airport. Could be 20 or more miles away).
Large database of bullets, with G1 & G7 form. Allows ton of different rifles, and cartridges.
Adjustments to scope in either inches, mils, clicks, MOA.
Table for speed, flight time, energy at different yardages, different color to show when bullet goes subsonic.

And it's on your phone, which lets face it is usually with us anyways.

Thank you so much!! Sounds like an awesome app. I will difenetly check out Strelok Pro!

Like Brockel says.
Though a chrono does help. Especially if your reloading.

If you get a recipe that is noticeably faster then you may wanna rethink things.

If you can shoot out to at least 300 yards (400 is better yet), then with the free ballistic calculators available today, you can track your load very easily. I trust what I see on targets at 300 yards more than I do my chronograph, honestly. Because chronos can be off, and so can advertised BC's. That said, I do use a chrono religiously when I'm working up loads.

If you can shoot out to at least 300 yards (400 is better yet), then with the free ballistic calculators available today, you can track your load very easily. I trust what I see on targets at 300 yards more than I do my chronograph, honestly. Because chronos can be off, and so can advertised BC's. That said, I do use a chrono religiously when I'm working up loads.
Ditto. A chrono is great, but a little simple math and a ballistics calc will do the same.

When you have hunts at Sea level and at altitude, what altitude ranges do you get different dials for ?

In a year I could shoot the same load at 35 ft, 3200, 8500 ft, and 10,500. How many CDS dials would I need?

When you have hunts at Sea level and at altitude, what altitude ranges do you get different dials for ?

In a year I could shoot the same load at 35 ft, 3200, 8500 ft, and 10,500. How many CDS dials would I need?
Depending how far you shoot, you could probably get by with 2. One set at 2500FT and one at 7500FT. Guy that deals in these things said they are good for about 5000' difference. But, that changes if you shoot to LONG distances.

Depending how far you shoot, you could probably get by with 2. One set at 2500FT and one at 7500FT. Guy that deals in these things said they are good for about 5000' difference. But, that changes if you shoot to LONG distances.

I'm figuring that out. When I used the ballistic chart site I saw that there was 3" difference at 500 yards between Sea Level and 8k.

I emailed Leupold and was told this

"For the parameters that we used to make a custom dial, we have a +/- of 2000 feet for your average elevation. This means, if you selected 3000 feet, you would be covered from 1000-5000ft.

If you plan on hunting a wider range of elevations, we would recommend having a second dial made so that your dial remains accurate for where you are hunting."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back