Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Triple Deuce

cwitherow

This gun was my great uncles. I remember it being one of the first guns I shot when I was a kid. When he passed, he gave it to my dad. He doesn't shoot much anymore so I took it to see what it was all about. I did some research and learned it is a Sako barreled action on a Marlin stock (I believe). It has a blued stainless steel barrel, which I've never seen before. I tried a few factory ammo offerings, but nothing grouped even close to what it should. Not being able to handload myself, I brought it to my trusted gunsmith. With it being a somewhat rare gun, I didn't want to bore it to a .223. He worked up a load of 55gr Bergers that shoot sub 1/2 MOA (he had pictures to prove it). Topped with a new VX-Freedom scope, I'm going to get the info for a CDS dial and give the whole set-up back to my dad as a late birthday gift. He has a ton of memories with this rifle, and I know he'll love shooting it again.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    596.9 KB · Views: 42
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    498.4 KB · Views: 46
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    223.5 KB · Views: 43
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    951.6 KB · Views: 41
I've got one an old rem .222 that was my uncle's that I got when he passed. Funny timing that you post this, I just got it out and shot it the other day. First time I've ever shot it and probably the first time it's been fired in over 20 years or better. I never realized how hard it is to find factory .222 ammo around here until then.

I've got one an old rem 222 that was my uncle's that I got when he passed. Funny timing that you post this I just got it out and shot it the other day. First time I've ever shot it and probably the first time it's been fired in over 20 years or better.
I'm looking forward to it!

Cool gun! That is a Marlin 422 "varmint king" they supposedly made less than 400 of them from 1954-1958. They were built on the Sako L46 action. These replaced the model 322, which had a short barrel life with the micro groove rifling.

I have a browning A-Bolt in 222 Rem. It is a great little gun that is very accurate and has very little recoil. I started all my children out shooting it when they were little. I think that is why they are all really good shots.

That’s a great rifle, really cool that your gifting it back to your dad. I shot my first deer with a 222, makes me sick I don’t have that rifle anymore.

I inherited a Rem. 600 Mohawk in .222 when my dad passed away 13 years ago. I took it out and shot a few rounds...enough to see that the scope was nowhere near sighted in, and put it in the safe. I was just thinking recently that it might be time to take it out and do some work.

Nice, what a thoughtful thing to do. Superb.

I have a 222 Rem Model 7 from the year or so they were made, 4x Scopechief still holding zero.

I inherited a Rem. 600 Mohawk in .222 when my dad passed away 13 years ago. I took it out and shot a few rounds...enough to see that the scope was nowhere near sighted in, and put it in the safe. I was just thinking recently that it might be time to take it out and do some work.

My old man sold his 600 .222 before I got my .222 ADL, man I really wish he had kept that rifle

Reactions: Oak
Great round!
My old man has a Savage over and under; 222 n 20ga, hell of a turkey gun
Killed my first critter (a grouse) with one of those. It now joins me in my autumn wandering when grouse or turkeys may show up.

I have a .222 in a Remington 788. My Mother bought it brand new for my step father. It's mine now. Easily the most accurate rifle I own. Kids learned shooting with it. I still shoot it a lot. 40 grain V-Maxs. Family guns are special. mtmuley
I got a 788 in 22-250 that I shot out

I have a Rem 722 in 222mag. It was the stalking ground hog gun on small fields with 50grnsxsp.

Very cool and rare rifle you have there.

As P_Ham mentioned, that's either a model 422 or 322. I don't know enough to tell the difference between them, without seeing the stamping.

Good job on keeping it factory original.

Shoot it and enjoy classic walnut and deep blued steel, handled and shot by your forefathers!

I've got a Remington 700 .222 I picked up about 25 years ago in the used rack at an old gun store for $260. It had an old Redfield scope on it, brought it home and first shot was only about 2" off at 100 yards, a little adjustment and was good to go. Since then I've had trigger adjusted, glass bedded it and swapped to a Leupold scope and it's accounted for a whole lot of ground hogs, coyotes, wild hogs and misc. varmints. Usually the first gun I grab for a walkabout.

I've got a Remington 700 .222 I picked up about 25 years ago in the used rack at an old gun store for $260. It had an old Redfield scope on it, brought it home and first shot was only about 2" off at 100 yards, a little adjustment and was good to go. Since then I've had trigger adjusted, glass bedded it and swapped to a Leupold scope and it's accounted for a whole lot of ground hogs, coyotes, wild hogs and misc. varmints. Usually the first gun I grab for a walkabout.
Deal of the decade!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back