Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

last antelope

JCS

This was probably my dads last antelope hunt:(. His eyes are getting worse and he cant seem to get around very well.

I scouted several times before the season started. I found a couple of small groups that were close to the road so he wouldn't have to walk very far.

Opening day I found this buck with 7 does only 300 yards from the road. We parked the pickup and made a stalk. 100 yards broadside..boom.boom. Missed. The antelope loped out to around 250 yards. Boom. Finally he falls. I pack the antelope back to the pickup and drove home.

I hope there will be more hunts but this just might have been it.

Attachments

• ant 2012 006.JPG
    ant 2012 006.JPG
    234.3 KB · Views: 433
My grandfather is 85. He hasn't shot anything in a decade or so, but I still take him on hunts when I can. He likes just sitting in camp and listening to me tell stories at the end of the day. I think you have many more hunts with your father. Pulling the trigger isn't everything. Time spent is.

My grandfather is 85. He hasn't shot anything in a decade or so, but I still take him on hunts when I can. He likes just sitting in camp and listening to me tell stories at the end of the day. I think you have many more hunts with your father. Pulling the trigger isn't everything. Time spent is.

You nailed it!!

I hope my sons take me hunting when I'm older. Very cool of you to do that. You have it figured out. Nice buck by the way.

Hope it is not his last one, but if it is, I am thankful you got to take him out and shoot one. Congrats to both of you.

I haven't gotten to hunt with my dad in over five years. He's the only true hunting partner I've ever had. Glad to see you guys had some fun, but as others have said, hopefully he'll at least be able to experience other aspects of the hunt even if he's not pulling the trigger.

Keep him in the game for as long as you can. My Dad hasn't hunted with me in about 5-6 years due to age and macular degeneration. We were a great pair, float hunting for ducks and getting the occasional deer along the river. He was always quick to tell me what I did wrong if I missed a shot, but I never could get him into the front of our sneak boat to see if he could walk the walk. He turns 98 in about 10 days and I miss our times afield together.

Congratulations on the hunt with your dad. Good on ya for getting him out. My dad always has reasons he can't make it but I keep asking.

My Dad has been my hunting buddy since I was 7 years old . . .and as long as he wants to go hunting, wherever he wants to go, I will be there to enjoy every minute of it . . .good or bad. I owe him for a lifetime of memories and experiences in the field. He's 65 now and still shoots better and hikes farther than most guys half his age for sure. :)

Back