Kick Ass New broadheads - fly perfect

After using Muzzy's, T-heads, Steelheads, and others over the years, I recently have been testing out the Slick Tricks. I have to say these things are tough as hell. Way tougher than any of the others, .035 blades, which are about the same as the blades you are using Greenhorn, and freakin scary sharp. The Solingen blades they are using are the sharpest I've seen ever. The tip on these things makes the tips of a Muzzy seem like mush.

They are short and fly true with my fiel points to 60 yards, which is as far as I've shot them. I'll definitely have them in my quiver come the 30th and also the 17th if I can break away for a date with a speedgoat. Best of luck to all on your elk hunting this year.

bullhound, the worst thing about the slick tricks is the shitty ordering you have to do. I wish the owner would branch out and get into retail stores.
So far I love these heads for the year that i used them. 3 deer killed with never a blade lost, or bent,and like you said, awsome accuracy.
a little History and geography quiz, do you know what and where Solingen is?
It is an old world city in Germany that is nick named "city of blades". They are still famous for blade making and were the main blade maker for all the sowrds and daggers during the world wars.

I tested them for a field review (accuracy, strength, sharpness, noise).......they rated low compared to other heads I've personally tested. Their sharpness, IMO, was poor, I blew several of them up when I shot them into bone, plywood, and cinder block. They were also noisy in flight. Overall rating was C-.

To be fair, I also used them in the field to experience first-hand performance. I arrowed a medium wild hog (sow) with one during this test. After I finished the hog off with another head, I found the wires of the ATOM broken off from the main body of the head. They did seem to fly well though.

For me, I want a broadhead that penetrates VERY well (preferably a cut-on-contact head), shoots extremely consistent with field points, sharp blades, and very durable. There are a lot of heads that fit this criteria these days.....one of which I endorse and shoot for...Wac'em heads. JMO

I've been shooting G5 Montecs w/ my field points to 60 yards with no discernable difference. I'll not be taking any shots longer than 50 yds in the field so it seems they will suit me fine.

As far as mechanicals, I shot NAP Spitfires for years with no problems on deer. Of the 6 or so deer I shot with them I can't remember any that didn't have complete passthrough and poor bloodtrails. The only reason I am switching is for elk and I don't want to have multiple setups.

Crap.. I just wanted to tell about a kickass new broadhead I'm using.

Greenhorn, the kickass broadheads are really secondary compared to some of the comedy on this thread.
Once again, you've started a classic. What kind of bullets do you prefer ?

AZ, just imagine how life at Moosies would be without dickheads :eek:

To be fair, I also used them in the field to experience first-hand performance. I arrowed a medium wild hog (sow) with one during this test. After I finished the hog off with another head, I found the wires of the ATOM broken off from the main body of the head. They did seem to fly well though.

There you go TOM, information from someone who has actually used them. Wires broken.......junk!!!!

GFHunter, I don't know BOHNTR, but I know a taxidermist here who runs an archery only hog hunting ranch where lots of hogs are killed. When he saw what the ATOM broadhead consistently did to hogs, he bought a bunch of them to take to Africa with him on his archery hunt there. I saw a lot of the video of how well they then did on the Africa animals also. That's a lot more data, and from a good source for me. The first link I gave shows pictures of the large holes they put in hogs. You go buy what data and tests you like, I'll go by what data and tests I like, deal?

Here's a review http://bowcountry.com/bows/testtune/index.nmpl

Hogs break blades, I know that, I guess BOHNTR has an example where they break titanium wire too. Its impressive that he got a second shot, that's unusual, I think, if you don't kill the hog with the first shot. The head is guaranteed for life, the ATOM titanium one. Its not junk, hogs break blades all the time, it doesn't mean they are junk either. Usually, you find that out because you got a dead animal there and take the arrow out of it.

bullhound, the worst thing about the slick tricks is the shitty ordering you have to do. I wish the owner would branch out and get into retail stores.
So far I love these heads for the year that i used them. 3 deer killed with never a blade lost, or bent,and like you said, awsome accuracy.
a little History and geography quiz, do you know what and where Solingen is?
It is an old world city in Germany that is nick named "city of blades". They are still famous for blade making and were the main blade maker for all the sowrds and daggers during the world wars.

I had read enough to know that if you bought Solingen blades, you were buying good materials. I didn't worry too much on the ordering & waiting deal. I just did a search for them and found them available online and had them in three days. Phenominal performance so far. I actually have one that I've shot over 150 times and actually has been dropped on my concrete patio & the friggin point will still bring blood with a little poke. You gotta be a dumbass to find that out, I know, but it is impressive:eek:

Hogs break blades, I know that, I guess BOHNTR has an example where they break titanium wire too. Its impressive that he got a second shot, that's unusual, I think, if you don't kill the hog with the first shot. The head is guaranteed for life, the ATOM titanium one. Its not junk, hogs break blades all the time, it doesn't mean they are junk either. Usually, you find that out because you got a dead animal there and take the arrow out of it.

Actually the wires themselves did not break. They did, however, disengage from where they attach to the tip after impacting bone.

You're right, a second shot at a pig is rare for most......usually the head I use does the job the first time. :D

Hogs breaking blades all the time is not a very accuarate statement, IMO. I've shot a lot with Zwickeys and Magnus heads and NEVER broke them.

Bottom line is you haven't tested them yourself so you have to reply on others opinions....good or bad. Who are we to tell you what to use. If you like them and think they're the cat's meow then use them. Confidence in your broadhead is part of the game. Good luck and I hope they work well for you.

The end of the wire doesn't have to be in the little grove at the back end to cut 280. Whether it stays in that little groove or not, it can cut in both directions, if it is in the animal moving around.

I guess what i see wrong with Greenhorns broadheads is that they use all the working of an expandable to only open up an extra .25 inches. My slick tricks fly kick ass and are the same diameter without having to expand.
Show me those same broadheads in at least 1.25 diameter or i say they are as lame as Toms broadhead.

Schmalts you can't be that braindead.. you're telling me you see something wrong with the broadhead I'm using, and you've never seen one? I have yet to see anything wrong with it. You can shoot it at 1.25 with no expansion.. if you'd read the weblink I put in on post #1.

Dude what are you talking about? the link you posted shows the heads are 7/8 and expand to 1 1/8. That is a whopping 1/4 inch expansion last time i did my math:rolleyes: and I'm braindead? Dude your the best hunter i know but damn, I think we differ in opinion of equipment choices here . Why shoot an expandable to get a piddly .250 more than it already is. If your going to shoot an expandable get one that EXPANDS. You can get a fixed blade in 1.125 that can fly good without the cost, and loss of KE and moving parts. To each is own, but it looks gay to me to shoot with all the gadgetry to gain such little expansion.
Maybe you posted the wrong link but you said you were shooting the "tiburons" or something like that. I just looked again and it says 1.125 max.
As gay as Tom's egg beaters, help me out buddy, I am not seeing it. Here is what i read.
"The 7/8” aerodynamic fixed blade design becomes a full 1-1/8” cutting monster that will definitely get the job done when it comes into contact with your target"

A 1-1/8" monster?? Sounds like Miller describing his @#)(# to a fatty at closing time.

The trident is the same head, without the expansion, and like I said, you can see it on the same page. You can set it to 1 1/8". Now.. tell me what's wrong with the one I'm shooting, because I've yet to see anything "wrong" with it since I've shot it over a hundred times and haven't had a problem. The trident seems to shoot just as well, I'm just impressed with the cool little one that opens up a little more. If I ever have a problem with the triburon (which I doubt), I'll switch to the Trident and probably just set it to 7/8" because that will do the trick just fine.

Let me bullet point why I like it but at this point I could care less what some of you thickheaded morons think.

1) It flies perfectly - show me one as good, send me a 100 grain tip that drops in with my field points like this one at 100 yards.
2) No rubberbands
3) No issues going in and out of a quiver
4) tough and durable

Schmalts, what's with this loss of KE thing? Will I lose any? How much will I lose? Do I actually need to worry about that? Will my arrow bounch off and elk or a moose, or not penetrate as well? Please show me your equation but don't let that complicated physics get in the way with the fact that you haven't shot the head yet, probably haven't even seen one.

The other thread, about the egg wisper... I just was curioius to see how many stupid $*)Q!#@$ replies would get posted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back