Fall 2019 Iowa Deer and Turkey

Pucky Freak

Oct 1st kicks off archery deer and turkey in my home state. I have a stack of tags: either sex bow turkey, either sex gun turkey, either sex bow deer, either sex shotgun deer, and six additional doe tags. Not that I realistically have enough time to fill all of these (I don't). But there's always a "what if" I do fill the tags, I can keep hunting through January without having to worry about running out. Last year I struck out on deer, so my commitment this year is ample time scouting and more days hunting.

This is my first year shooting and hunting with a compound bow. While it is fun in and of itself, I also intend it to be practice for future elk hunting via spot and stalk, use of a rangefinder, gutless method (for deer), and packing out with game bags. I've got to where 30 yards is a chip shot, and 45 is my max deer distance, but only with perfect conditions.

My Block archery target was starting to wear out, so I set off to build my own target using household trash and other surplus materials. I wanted to be able to shoot broadheads as well as longer range with field points. My original design was 4x4, but this turned out to be too heavy and bulky to move around. My finished design is roughly circular with a 30" diameter. The core of the target is grocery sacks, bubble packaging, worn out clothes with buttons, snaps, and zippers removed, and other household soft plastic, mostly packaging material, saved over the course of about 3 months. I stuffed this as tightly as possible into a large contractor bag. Next I dismantled an old queen-sized pillow top mattress and box spring, recycled the metal, burned the wood, and all that was left was soft materials. The low-density material such as foam and fiber insulation was discarded, but the heavier quilted fabric was saved. These were laid out flat, placed the contractor bag in the middle, then wrapped it all up using 3 worn out ratchet straps. The face of the target is pointed up in the picture, but I turn it on it's side to shoot. Field points stick about 4-8" into the target and pull out very easily. Target should last a very long time. I'm able to practice out to 55 yards without having to worry about missing the 16" Block target. It weighs about 35 lbs and can roll in and out of my shed to practice in my backyard. Total cost = $0.

0824191541.jpg0825191709.jpg

Next test was a broadhead. Shot Easton FMJ with factory (un)sharpened G5 Montec at 60 lb draw. Broadhead cut through 6" of quilting, the entire stuffed contractor bag (about 20") and 2" of quilting on the back end. I had to disassemble the target to unscrew the broadhead and pull the shaft out. Major fail on creating a broadhead target. However, this was very encouraging to see how much penetration was achieved - should zip through a deer no problem, especially now that I have put a real edge on the blades. I clipped wet/dry sandpaper to plexiglass rectangles, first using 600 grit, and then mirror finish with 1000. I tested out the rest of my broadheads on the Block and tore it to shreds, but I now have my #1-5 arrows confirmed to fly straight.

I have 2 ladder stands set up on private properties within 10 minutes of my house. One 20 acre section has not been hunted any time recently according to the landowner, and I'm the only one with permission to hunt there this year. It's also bordered almost entirely by corporate or municipal property where hunting is not allowed. I picked a promising looking funnel/trail for my stand. It's very thick timber and hard to tell where the deer are moving, although I revisited it a week ago and found fresh tracks and droppings. No real way quiet or easy way to access the stand until the corn is out, but come November I plan to be out there quite a bit. I tested the shooting lanes with my bow and found one of them I cannot draw back unless I sit on the very edge of my stand and crouch, as my release elbow bumps the tree. I feel like this shot is doable, but will likely favor the 2 other shooting lanes if at all possible. I'm holding out for a 3 1/2 year old buck, but if I see an older one I might pass on everything smaller.

The second stand is along 2 new properties where I got permission this year. One of the landowners has trail cam pics of some small bucks and many does and fawns near my stand. I've also scouted and observed a doe feeding within 75 yards of the stand. One older doe is very thin - hips and ribs are quite visible. My guess is that the deer is just old, although disease might be the cause. If I can take this deer I hope to age the animal based on its teeth. The landowner has asked me to take several does off this property due to overpopulation and crop damage, which is what many of my doe tags are good for. Below is a pic of the stand, as well as a well worn fork in a funnelled trail about 15 yards in the shade to the right of it.

0713191619.jpg0713191527.jpg

The public ground I will be hunting is mostly my turkey hot spots, but with a bow I can also take a deer. I'm not totally beyond sitting a blind, but I favor places I can walk around quietly, spot birds at a distance, and then try to sneak in and make a shot. WT from stands is fun, but I like a challenging stalk too. Shotgun deer I had a bad experience last year with having shots fired in my direction on public ground, so this year the hunt is a minor focus. I have a couple spots that are very remote with low deer densities and quite unlikely to run into another hunter which I'll be focusing on for safety, quiet, and a challenging packout if I do kill an animal.

Deer are piling up by the hundreds in South Central IA from EHD, and one of my spots isn't too far from where dead deer have been found. On Saturday my wife headed off to the Iowa v. Iowa State game and my daughter and I hiked (she mostly rode along in my backpack) about a 9-mile loop to check on ponds, creeks, and other water sources where EHD deer usually end up. Fortunately, found no dead deer. Did see what looked like a turkey about 1/2 mile away perched on a log. Didn't have binos to confirm, and we continued to approach. Finally it hopped of the log and sheltered in the grass when we got within about 300-350 yards. The first hard frost cannot come fast enough to kill off the midges that spread the disease. Until then, I plan to scout these water sources again to see if the disease has spread there.

This morning I walked some mowed tractor paths and buffer strips for doves. This was more of an armed hike/get some exercise rather than a serious attempt to bag some birds. Not long after heading out I spotted several pheasants and a deer ahead, and they also saw me. I moved back into the cover and walked in closer to them. When I figured I was near to where I last saw them I approached the opening and saw a second deer at 30 yards. I walked in to 20 yards and the two of them still did not spook. Just for fun I went through my pre-shot bow routine of ranging one of them, getting a good stance, finding an opening in the vegetation, picking a spot on the animal, drawing back my imaginary bow, and squeezing the release. They still didn't spook. I cradled my shotgun, pulled out my camera to snap a picture and this time they took off. At the same time a hen pheasant flushed along with a flight of 5-6 doves at my feet. I fumbled and dropped the camera, then missed 2 easy shots at the doves 😅

IMG_0671.JPG

Happy hunting to everyone else out there chasing fall animals!

Good luck with the stick and string this fall! Look forward to see how you make out.

Two more years before I can draw a tag in Iowa with 4 points hopefully.

Spent some time scouting one of my spots last night at dusk. I've never been one to use binoculars to find things - I've always just used them to size up what I spot with just my eyes. However, I figured I was really missing out on a lot of opportunity by not doing this. So yesterday I walk in quietly about 1/4 mile to a nice high spot where I want to glass. I do a quick scan with my eyes, see nothing. After bringing the binos up the very first thing in view is a deer at 240 yards. Turned out to be a doe walking out into some soybeans to feed. After that I picked through some dark timber looking for parts of deer. Not more than 5 minutes later I am rewarded by a flick of a tail at 105 yards. Turned out to be 2 does bedded and 2 fawns chasing each other around, about 35 yards from my deer stand. I wait until it's really dark to try and sneak out of there, and saw yet another doe on my way out.

From this trip and previous scouting it seems the does walk more on the opposite side of a wooded creekbed from where my stand is, maybe 80 yards away, traveling between bedding and feeding areas, whereas my stand is more geared towards bucks cruising between doe groups. Since I have both doe tags and an any sex tag for this spot, my tentative plan is to build a blind along this other corridor, so I can hunt the same general spot from two ambush spots, depending on the wind and thermal conditions. Monday may be the day to do this, with a nice N wind, so as to blow my scent away from where I think the deer bed.

It seems that every day closer to Oct 1st is slower and slower. Of course once season opens it will seem like it's over in a blink. In the meantime, I'm thoroughly enjoying keeping up with all the other hunt journals.

Constructing the blind turned out to be better than expected. The clump of trees I eyed from Google Earth turned out to be the head of a eroded dry creek. I can set up a chair in the open middle and be 100% brushed in. I cut 4 small shooting lanes covering about 270 degrees of view.

Earlier today my daughter and I scouted out another one of my public spots. This is best "sign" I could have asked for - having the entrance gated off means youth deer hunters would have to hike over twice as far to the hunt area, meaning less pressure for the opener. With any luck that gate will stay up through October.

IMG_0674.JPGIMG_0676.JPG

We found some fresh turkey sign.

IMG_0677.JPGIMG_0679.JPG

I also checked out a known spring turkey "highway" and see that deer have also been using it this fall. I'm not quite sure how to hunt this spot - the trail is about 10 feet inside the public boundary, and runs about 100 feet above a wide creek bottom before turning onto private. There's really no room to hunt from the ground, and a ladder stand would be too conspicuous to other hunters. Maybe walk in along the creek, then cross the trail and find a good tree for my climber? Even then, I'm shooting almost straight underneath my stand. May not get around to trying this out this spot this year, but it will sit on the shelf for now.

IMG_0680.JPG

Last edited:
Yesterday just before dark I scouted a public hunting pond where I saw geese loafing about a month ago, to see if any were landing there for the night, and then go jump them this morning for the opener. I could hear geese as I approached, but by the time I got there I couldn't tell if they were just flying over or had been in the pond. The good news is I counted 50-60 geese flying overhead, all going in the same direction, towards another public hunting area. I marked the direction, then drove about six miles to where I thought they had landed, and spent some time walking around a marsh. More good news - I heard geese and pinpointed their location.

I set my alarm for 4:30 AM, but when I woke up it was already light outside. I checked my phone and it was hours past when I planned on waking up. I quickly rush around scrambling to get ready and drive out to the hunting area. Then I wake up, in the dark, realizing the whole thing was a dream. Repeat the same dream 5 more times - I do this every opener, every species, every year, so no surprise here. You might be a hunting addict if... Anyways, the sixth time awaking from groundhog day it was 4:10, so I started getting ready.

On the way to the marsh I am wondering about how many youth hunters and goose hunters will be there. If it's packed - as public ground Iowa waterfowl openers usually are, I might go back to bed. But, it turns out I have the entire place to myself. The place I had last heard the geese is not the best location for shooting, as it's rather close to the parking area. My plan is to hoof it around the whole marsh in the dark and see if I can spot or hear another group of geese. It's a windy morning, and I figure they will be on the windward side if they're in there. As a back up, I have a spot picked out to set up for ambush on an open water bottleneck that looks good for pass shooting.

I heard the same group of geese from the night before, and then walked the loop. No other geese detected, so I settle in to my ambush spot. As the sun comes up, I can see/hear geese on the windward side where I thought they'd be, about 350 yards away - I had passed them by in the dark and they were quiet. At this point I think - they're probably going to get up and fly right by me. However...there is also nice tall grass right up to the water edge where I could walk in and be right on top of them.

The temptation is too great - I get up and hustle over there. About half way along 5 geese from the group take off and fly right by my ambush spot. A little disheartening, but I had counted six geese on the water, so I'm pretty sure there is still a bird to ambush. As I close the distance to where I had made a mental note of their location, a group of 15 geese starts panicking and takes off from the water right in front of me. It is picture perfect - 20 yards away and slowly accelerating at a 90 degree angle. I am tasting the freshly fried goose liver and heart at this point. A second later my gun is up, and BOOM BOOM I'm limited out for the day.

Except that did not happen. It was click click click. The firing pin was gummy and didn't hit the primers hard enough to ignite them. I sit there helplessly as the flock makes a lazy loop around me at 35 yards, and then flies away. My old Stevens shotgun restoration project has failed (it did work last year).

IMG_0682.JPG

Five more geese within range on my walk out and I am just as helpless. I drive home, get my real shotgun and head out to sit the loafing pond for a while. 3 high fliers but that was it for the morning. Did see a heavy bodied buck cruising along the opposite bank. It was 120 yards and I only saw him for about 7-8 seconds. He looked like a 3 1/2 year old. I may try to make a play on him next month.

Oh man, I hate those moments where you should have limited out, but instead you get to replay the mistake in your head over and over. I had a moment last season where I was walking along a river and spotted about 7 geese right up by the water's edge. Instead of stepping up and raising my gun to get them to jump, I sat down and tried to crawl over to the edge. Of course they saw me and swam away. By the time I was at the edge and they were coming off the water they were about 100 yards out and headed straight away...

Today I hung an old ladder stand where I saw the buck on public. It's a small finger, less than an acre surrounded mostly by private ground (thick brush), and another area closed to hunting. Deer trails transect the small area in an "I" shape, and I hung the stand on the only tree large enough to support it, near the center of the "I." It's close quarters with just a few narrow shooting lanes, as trimming limbs isn't allowed. Unless I hear an animal coming it could easily slip by me before I could try and stop it. I plan to hang a couple scent wicks to get passing deer to pause in an open lane. The biggest downside to the spot is it being on public and could easily be sabotaged by someone else. On the upside, it's a spot that can be hunted morning or evening in any wind, unlike any of my other blinds and stands. Season opens tomorrow, but there's a ton of rain forecast over the next couple days so hunting likely won't commence right away.

This evening was my first time ever hunting with a compound. I quietly slipped into the blind I built on Sept 23. About an hour before dark a doe gave herself away by stepping on a twig. She and her fawn had just got up from their beds and were milling about in the thick cover behind me, and got within 20 yards. I had not cut any shooting lanes in this direction, as I didn't dare jump them from their beds, which were within 50 yards when I constructed the blind. I figured they would exit to my left within a few minutes, so I clipped my D loop and got ready. When they exited the trees they were about 37-38 yards away and only the top half of the doe could be seen through the grass. No shot because I was standing below ground level and would not shoot through the grass. They quartered away and made their way to their evening feeding area. After watching them for a while I turned my head to look back into the trees and the second doe-fawn pair busted me. Both had their ears fanned out and staring right at me, about 30 yards away. I stood statue still for about 10-12 minutes, while the doe stomped a half dozen or so times. Eventually, they resumed their activity and gave no further indication of alarm. When they started walking again, I could have slipped out of the blind and intercepted the doe as she followed the first two deer. However, I didn't think of this until afterwards. They might have heard me and spooked anyways, so I'm not too sore about missing that opportunity.

I had about 30 minutes of shooting light at this point. I put the bow away and walked 10 yards closer to their empty beds and cleared a spot on the ground where I can hide and nail one of these does at 10-20 yards right after she stands up. This is one of my favorite games of whitetail hunting - pushing the envelope on bedding areas by getting as close as possible without spooking them. I've done it many times with bucks and a recurve, so it feels awkward to be carrying a weapon that can kill animals at much longer distances than I am able to close in on.

An alternative option is to hide behind a huge oak in an otherwise open pasture that the deer walk past on their way to feed. While this is most likely the more conservative option, it just doesn't seem quite as fun as slipping in on them. Undecided for now.

1003191749.jpg\

Friday I have kiddo duty, so next day of hunting is Saturday morning for ducks. I've scouted about 50-75 wood ducks and no other species, so with a little better luck and a fully functioning shotgun I may be able to fill my 3 bird limit without too much hassle.

Friday afternoon I checked the weather and saw that the wind would be perfect that night to set up in ambush behind the lone oak. I asked my wife if she could cancel her evening plans to watch our daughter so I could hunt. She was gracious and said yes - and now I owe her big time. I got set up perfectly and just waited for the deer to follow the script. The red arrow shows the exit from cover they used the previous evening. However, no deer heard or seen that night.

IMG_0683.JPG

This morning was duck opener. The pair of woodies came easily, but I won't mention how many shots I missed trying to bag duck #3 :-/

I made up for this not too long after with a bonus bird

IMG_0684.JPG

Breakfast: Goose giblets fried in olive oil. Onion salt, pepper and caramelized chives, with a not-quite-ripe homegrown sliced tomato and a dash of garlic. The firm, not-quite-sweet tomato paired perfectly with the strong flavor of the liver.

IMG_0691.JPGIMG_0692.JPGIMG_0694.JPG

Then before leaving for church I got supper going: 1T salt, 1C brown sugar, 3T apple cider vinegar, 6c hot water, and the remainder of the goose. Used the 10-hour setting on the slow cooker, then reduced temp for an additional hour at the end. The aroma was like sherry, but sweet in place of any alcohol sharpness. The meat fell right off the leg bones. I sliced the breast against the grain, and cut pieces off with the side of my fork. Taste and texture was very similar to roast beef, without the spices, nearly zero fat, and more flaky, more tender, a little sweeter, and a faint hint of the characteristic liver flavor of goose. Simple, if not a little plain. My 2-year-old ate several bites ("Mmmm, Num! More, pease"), and she will hardly touch pork, chicken, or beef.

I'll do this recipe again, except next time I'll pluck the bird to leave the skin on the wings, legs, and breasts to get help keep the meat from drying out with some extra fat, dry rub with thyme, rosemary, and coriander for 3 days in the fridge, and brown the pieces in vegetable oil prior starting the slow cooker. Side with some fluffy mashed potatoes and Tassel Ridge In the Dark dry red wine. I'd give the first go 7.5/10, but will aim for 10/10 next time with the modifications.

IMG_0693.JPGIMG_0695.JPG

1570475617272.png

Here's the weather I've been looking forward to. Friday night should be a nice cool sit, then with freezing temps at first light on Saturday I'll plan to sit a high vantage on an treeless public area to try and glass up a monster buck, and shoot him out of his bed once he settles down. At the end of last season there were about 40 deer in this spot, including a couple of bruisers. The trick is not so much finding a good buck, but avoiding getting busted by deer on the way to the one you want to arrow.

I've still got to make up for my wife cancelling her plans for me on Friday, so today is deep cleaning the bathroom and scrubbing the tile in 3 rooms of our house :D:D

Last edited:
Keep it coming elkfever. We checked our stands yesterday getting ready for the early muzzle loader opener on Saturday. After that I will get the bow out.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back