Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Fall 2019 Iowa Deer and Turkey

Thursday night uneventful sit in the stand. I realized I will benefit a lot from trimming some limbs and rotating my stand 90 degrees on the tree, as the heaviest deer traffic is obstructed. Another blind on the property needs different shooting lanes cut where the deer are doing most of their travelling. I hate to disrupt the area so much, but I feel it's worth the cost over the next 2 1/2 months of bow season.

Also had a good chat with the landowner about helping out with maintenance and other things related to property management.

Headed out this afternoon to work on the blind and the stand mentioned a couple posts ago. After this was done I had about an hour to sunset, so decided to sit my blind on the other end of the property. Just after sunset spotted a 2 1/2 year old 7-pt at 120 yards. He came towards me following a group of 9 does and fawns. They all would have fed away out of range, but he began harassing them once they stopped to feed, and they scattered. One doe came towards me, but I didn't move to range her until her eyes were obstructed. 40 yards. She didn't stay put, and walked out of sight down a creek embankment. Several minutes later she came up the embankment again and walked back in the direction she came. I guessed the distance to be 30 yards, and I waited for her to stop moving.

Once she did I ranged 35 yards, and she was broadside. I took a shot and missed clean. I immediately blocked out the rush of frustrating thoughts about how I completely screwed up such an easy shot, and instead made myself focus on the deer in front of me. She jumped and ran about 5 yards further away, then turned and looked in my direction. She looked to be nearly broadside. I slowed my shot down this time and settled the center of the vitals using the pins for 40 yards. Unfortunately, this was followed by a very loud crack - scapula hit. I think she had been quartering towards me slightly and I misjudged the angle. Anyways, she bucked, ran off, then ran towards me again.

At this point it was getting hard to see, but I managed to locate her in the rangefinder at 62 yards head on. Through the binos I could see the arrow firmly lodged in the bone with little penetration. She appeared to be in pain, but no signs of lack of blood to the brain, and no significant blood flowing from the wound. I debated trying to put her down with another arrow, but decided against it. The vitals at that angle are about the size of a beverage coaster, and the furthest I practice shooting is 53 yards. I can compensate on my 50-yard pin to make a 55-yard shot, but beyond that it's just guessing. I decided that if she turned broadside or came in closer I would attempt another shot. However, the dinky buck came in and tried chasing her - she gingerly hobbled down the creek bed and I didn't hear or see from her after that.

The buck came in to 10 yards and then moved on to chase the does.

Another disappointing end to an evening of deer hunting. I am compromising my form when shooting under pressure.

Will see what I can turn up tomorrow morning. If the blood trail or tracks run out my best bet may be to try and ambush the same deer again, assuming that it was a non-fatal hit.

Out at first light and found 2 drops of blood where the doe was standing between 5:00-15:00 after the shot and nothing else along her trail. Also studied skeletal anatomy and I'm confident the impact was low on the scapula - the thick part. Checked the area anyways for about an hour and just tracks leading away no blood. Plan is to ambush the same deer another day rather than blow out her bedding area.

1019191122a.jpg1020190603.jpg
the turkey parted out. Bird was on the small side for a 2 and a half year old tom at 18.8 lbs. Mother in law's bday today so I made one breast into garlic teriyaki jerky as a gift for her. My wife "sampled" several pieces and asked I make another batch for just us with the other breast.

View attachment 117439View attachment 117440
the turkey parted out. Bird was on the small side for a 2 and a half year old tom at 18.8 lbs. Mother in law's bday today so I made one breast into garlic teriyaki jerky as a gift for her. My wife "sampled" several pieces and asked I make another batch for just us with the other breast.
Looks tasty, good work! I'm following to hear about the doe. Good luck!

On the way out of looking for the wounded doe, I spotted antlers on a hill top. My first thought was I am busted by this deer, and I sink into the ground. After putting binos on him I realize he is facing directly away from me and has no clue I am there. I didn't range, but I'd guess 110 yards.

IMG_0728.JPG

The next place my mind goes to is to just bask in the majesty of this mature buck's 5x6 rack. There is respectable spread, and the pic shows the heavy mass on the base of the right main beam. G5 on the right is about 2", brow tines are about 5", and the remaining tines are all around 10". I guess 5 1/2 year-old deer scoring 155.

Despite my bow laying right beside me on the ground, any impulse to want to try and kill this deer was very faint. Part of this was undoubtedly due to having a heavy heart over giving the doe a non-fatal wound the night before. I spend the next 20 minutes admiring the buck, as his head swivels back and forth, showing off his headgear at angle after amazing angle.

After I had my fill, I start to think about making a play. I realize that wind is good, and I can probably sneak through the tall grass shown in the pic between 9 and 10 o'clock to get within 25-30 yards. The rising sun will change the thermals within 30 minutes, so there is a time limit on executing the plan. I press my body to the ground and slip backwards downhill until the contours allow me to stand up. I then made a big loop around about 250 yards away and begin my approach. Along the way I see there are two small leafed-out oaks just downhill of him at 8 o'clock in the pic that will easily conceal my approach. I line them up, and walk cat-like towards him on open ground.

When I get to 55 yards he stands up, stretches, and slowly wanders off directly away from me (2 o'clock) and right under my tree stand. I think it may just have been time for him to make his way to his day bed. Had he remained in place, another 10 minutes would have had me at 15 yards ready to shoot once he stood up.

The 20 minutes I took to admire him through the binos was completely worth it, even though it cost me the stalk.

Primary focus of this area will be killing the doe I wounded, and I have an antlerless tag set aside for her. The daytime beds of these two deer are within 100 yards of one another.

Fighting through a lot of discouragement lately. Had a doe and fawn pair Wednesday night both broadside standing still. Really took my time on the shot, 30 yards. although she ran hard a short distance then walked further away flagging her tail. I figured it was a miss. Patiently waited another 30 minutes for a perfect shot on the fawn, which was at 35 yards. The arrow was covered in short dark hair, lots of fat, and a few bits of pink flesh. No blood. Seemed to be a hit just below the top line. Picked through the whole area for hours and never found the other arrow, any blood, or anything.

I can't figure out whether the deer are ducking, I'm not letting the riser fall from my hand, or I'm peeking or what.

Fighting through a lot of discouragement lately. Had a doe and fawn pair Wednesday night both broadside standing still. Really took my time on the shot, 30 yards. although she ran hard a short distance then walked further away flagging her tail. I figured it was a miss. Patiently waited another 30 minutes for a perfect shot on the fawn, which was at 35 yards. The arrow was covered in short dark hair, lots of fat, and a few bits of pink flesh. No blood. Seemed to be a hit just below the top line. Picked through the whole area for hours and never found the other arrow, any blood, or anything.

I can't figure out whether the deer are ducking, I'm not letting the riser fall from my hand, or I'm peeking or what.
That sound like she ducked. It is amazing how much movement a deer can make in the millisecond after your bow goes >Twang<.

Yesterday was an attempt at spot and stalk turkey with the bow. No luck locating birds in about 3 hours of walking so took a long nap. When I woke up I spotted a hen head at 44 yards. I watched until she moved out of sight then snuck in. I was trying to locate her body but she saw me first at 10 yards and took off.

that evening I busted a flock of polts and tried to call one back in. Got one to come in to 50 yards but it found a nest mate first and the two of them refused to come any closer after that.

The deer drought is over. Had the two fawns and does I've been hunting all season come in. I could not tell which one I previously passed through the top line - none looked worse for wear. When I clipped the d loop the lead doe spotted me, but after several minutes relaxed again. I had her at 17 yards broadside, aimed for the very bottom of the kill zone and let an arrow fly. She ducked and got spined. Sent a second arrow in the heart and she was dead within 15 seconds of the first shot.1027190811.jpg

Great job. Hard to believe that you aimed low and still spined her. Just goes to show you how much they can drop at the sound of the bow. Also I am amazed you could get to 10 yards of a hen.

Sometime last week this little yearling 6-point came out of the timber and fed towards me.

IMG_0732.JPG

Then he poked his head in my blind...

IMG_0736.JPG

Remember to visit again in about 5 years!

I discarded the heart because the arrow had to pass through the paunch to get there. Encouraging to see I can hit what I'm aiming at when the deer can't duck.

IMG_0743.JPG

I was very impressed with arrow/broadhead performance. I'm shooting 5mm Easton FMJ with 100 gr. G5 Montec @ 60 lb draw. First arrow traveled through spine and came to rest inside the opposite hide. Second arrow entered ahead of the hip, through the heart, shattered the humerus, exited the chest, and was sticking 3" outside the hide. Blue circle is the arrow path, and green circle is the severed humerus with whitish-pink marrow in the center. You can also see the bone fragments in the bottom center of the second pic.

IMG_0741.JPGIMG_0742.JPG

Venison stroganoff for supper...

IMG_0740.JPG

...And tenderloin for breakfast

IMG_0746.JPG

Stayed up late last night to get the deer processed and in the freezer. Loins and hindquarters are destined for jerky. Plenty of space for more critters! I have an ambush spot for a gobbler I'll be trying tonight.

IMG_0748.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back