Just 5 cartridges

VikingsGuy

OK - we did this a while back for "if you could only have 1 rifle, 1 handgun, etc". But now the premise is, you can have any number of firearms/platforms you wish, but you can only shoot 1 cartridge for each of the following, rimfire, handgun, shotgun, west of the Mississippi rifle, east of the Mississippi rifle. How to weigh power, vs shootability, vs cost, vs availability, vs handloading, vs nostalgia is in the eye of the beholder.

My list:

Rimfire: .22LR - cheap, readily available, a classic plinker
Handgun: 10mm - gives a little more "oomph" as a woods gun while still working for personal defense (but giving up 9mm and .357Mag would hurt)
Shotgun: 12ga - really the do all shotgun (hell, can cover the job of home defense handgun and east of MS rifle too)
West of Mississippi Rifle: 280AI - the most balanced NA big game choice in my opinion
East of the Mississippi Rifle: 30-30Win - a true classic, practicality and nostalgia carry the day on this one

Rimfire: .22LR, Do not own...weird I know
Handgun: .357...lemme hoard a few more hunnert rounds (including .38)
Shotty: 12g castle and upland
West (includes Mother TX): One's unpossible. .257 Wby/7 Mashburn & my component stockpile
East: 45/70 & current stockpile of factory

Good thread.

Rimfire: anyone who doesn't say .22lr is a liar for reasons I shouldn't have to explain.

Handgun: 45 long colt. Learned how to shoot with it, shot it all my life, loaded for it with my dad on cold ass nights in a barely heated Co-Op fertilizer shop he ran, have scars from spilt lead. Nostalgia.

Shotgun: Honestly 16ga is enticing to say, but probably 12ga because it's easier to find and I already have guns for it.

West: 280 Ackley or 25-06. I won't decide between my children.

East: 30-30 win because I already have the loading stuff for it.

I actually just listed all the cartridges I own guns in wow

That’s easy.
17hmr for the chicken robbers
22-250 because there’s no way I’m not hunting coyotes.
12 gauge cause I’ve fallen back in love with bird hunting
7mm Sherman max right now cause I love the build I just did
375 ruger with a 20” barrel for one day when I get to head to Alaska or Africa

That’s easy.
17hmr for the chicken robbers
22-250 because there’s no way I’m not hunting coyotes.
12 gauge cause I’ve fallen back in love with bird hunting
7mm Sherman max right now cause I love the build I just did
375 ruger with a 20” barrel for one day when I get to head to Alaska or Africa
...stay tuned folks.

why do we need east and west of mississippi rifles? coriolis effect different over there or something?
A different way of saying open plains antelope/mule deer/elk/bison/grizzly rifle vs wooded and cornfield white tail, hog and black bear rifles. They are different forms of hunting that lend themselves to different preferred cartridges.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back