Just 5 cartridges

When I hunted eastern whitetails back east I barely took over a 50 yard shot. Out west I hunt larger game and shoot over much greater distances. I can see the need for different rifles.

i was mostly commenting in jest. but also cause i don't understand why we have to complicate things so much with rifles.

i shot a whitetail buck in wyoming a few years ago with my 30-06 at probably 30-35 yards. one shot, worked great.

shot a mule deer doe with the same rifle at 430 yards last november. one shot, also worked great.

needless to say, for me it's a 30-06 west AND east of the mississippi ;)

The 5 guns "that they know about" ;)
Rimfire: 22LR
Muzzleloader: 50 cal sidelock (for states with restrictive muzzleloader seasons)
Shotgun: 12gauge (I hate to abandon my 16 but if I were forced to own 1 shotgun)
Western US: 280AI (I was doing it before it was cool)
Eastern (straight wall requirement states): 45-70 which will also be of value in the West

I'll skip the pistol since "they don't know about" that one

The only surprise so far is the large number of 20ga selections. I love it myself, but you can use light loads with a 12 and mimic that end, but tough to match higher-end loads with a 20.
For me I don’t use a shotgun a ton, the 20 is way nicer to carry, the 12’s that shoot the heavy stuff and are nice to carry suck to shoot.

For western stuff I’d just use what I use now.

I’ve only been east of North Dakota/South Dakota once. We took a wrong turn and got lost in a bad part of St Louis. Judging by that experience, my east of the Mississippi picks would be 2 or 3 glocks, a shorty 12 ga, and an AR with like 12 spare mags.

and you're talking to the guy who tees up the par 5 with a 3-iron because he can't and never will figure out how to use a driver ;)
I have thought about playing a full round with a 7 iron and a putter. I haven't yet, but I doubt my score would change much :(

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back