Early Season Elk and Deer CO Unit 43

jwasbullfrog

Hi guys. Have been following the forums for a while, first time posting. Myself and 2 other friends are venturing west this fall for early archery. It is not my first trip out (I hunted second season rifle a few years ago), but I was hoping I could pick some brains about unit 43 in the early archery season. When I hunted it in rifle we weren't very successful getting on elk, but did run into a ton of deer. We mostly hunted the western part of the unit, west of 133. Our plan this time is to have OTC elk and try and draw at least 1 deer tag. The other two going along on the trip are new to going west. We are planning on backpacking in for a few days. Heading out September 4-14. My real questions are:

1. Weather difference. When I was out last time it was mid October and we dealt with some snow and temps down in the teens. What can I expect in early September? Will we need a stove, or can we get by with a 3 season tent?
2. Animal location. Last time out we had to get up pretty high before we started seeing elk sign. Are the elk normally high this early in the season? I am just trying to determine if certain basins are worth exploring based on the elevation.
3. Any suggestions on units close by that may lead to opportunity? We are going back to 43 mostly because I know the terrain and I figure this will save us a day or two of figuring out the area.
4. West part of 43 vs. East? I know the terrain is steeper in the east part of the unit, but would it be worth splitting our week between two different areas, or concentrating on one?
5. Would it be worth one of us picking up a bear tag in this area? Last time out I did see some bear sign, but we didn't run into one in the 7 days we were out.

Thanks for any advice you can give me in advance. I did search the forums for Unit 43 info and the things I already found were very helpful in getting me going. This forum is a very valuable tool.

If I could even get some feedback on weather in this area in early September it would be a big help. We are in the planning stages now, and trying to make sure we are prepared.

Weather can be very unpredictable but more than likely it will be in the 60s-70s during the day and 20- 40 at night depending on your elevation. We usually camp close to 11000 ft. I find the temps to be enjoyable to sleep but my dad freezes. Depending on the year it could rain every day or not at all. I wouldnt say we've been blanketed in snow but it has snowed before and we've been in a couple monsoon type hail storms. Be ready for fast severe weather to roll in and out. The elk will be where you find them. so if they are not where you start out be mobile. Be sure to stick around and let us know how it goes

Ditto above. It can rain a lot during September if monsoon pattern has set up. Snow is always possible too. All of the country west of 133 can hold elk. Get away from roads, two tracks, and sheep herders if they are in there. Don't be married to an area because you know it. If elk are not in there, i.e., there's no sign, get moving until you find them.

The best way to see a monster bear is to not buy a tag. It's $100 for a NR bear tag again in 2020.

Thanks for the info guys. I think we can probably forgo the stove and maybe pack an extra base layer to sleep in if the temperature dips too much. I am leaning towards grabbing a bear tag. I'd hate to have the opportunity and not have a tag, and for $100 its not that hateful. I will definitely update how the trip goes. We are starting our training program now.

Thanks for that writeup, great info. One additional question, being that we are going or archery, is there advantages to camping low and hunting up, or camping high and hunting down? I understand we need to find water, but do you all have a preference?

One thing to consider about that area especially in early to mid september is the hiker/backpacker traffic. The Maroon-Bells is one of the most popular areas in the state and a nice weekend in the fall can be loco. The western part of the unit won't get the crowds. I hunted there 1st rifle once and saw a couple of bears on the west side of 133 and high up in the wilderness on the east side. From what I understand wildlife managers really want to knock down the amount of bears in the area.

Thanks for that writeup, great info. One additional question, being that we are going or archery, is there advantages to camping low and hunting up, or camping high and hunting down? I understand we need to find water, but do you all have a preference?

The relief in this until like most in the high alpine units in CO will blow you away. There will be many deer and elk that you glass up that will be under a mile away, but the hike to get within 200 yards might take 4+ hours.
Don’t plan on making big moves, once you get into the alpine basins, you won’t be hiking down to animals or up to animals very far. Plan your camping spots that minimizes elevation gain and loss.

Example:
The deer in the photo is around 1200 yards
00670D34-C646-4959-80DD-B38CB0C849DD.jpeg

you have to go down this and then up through the timber about the same elevation to get to said deer...
A01AA914-B8A0-40CA-A542-272984FAEC8C.jpeg

Last edited:
The relief in this until like most in the high alpine units in CO will blow you away. There will be many deer and elk that you glass up that will be under a mile away, but the hike to get within 200 yards might take 4+ hours.
Don’t plan on making big moves, once you get into the alpine basins, you won’t be hiking down to animals or up to animals very far. Plan your camping spots that minimizes elevation gain and loss.

Example:
The deer in the photo is around 1200 yards
View attachment 127218

you have to go down this and then up through the timber about the same elevation to get to said deer...
View attachment 127219

+1 to this. It is a crazy steep unit and getting around takes a lot longer than you'd think

I would personally hunt the oak brush canyons down low, there will be elk in them. It’s super tough to hunt, but you may get lucky

Thanks again for the info guys. It sounds like we need to prepare even harder than we planned.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back