Just One

VikingsGuy

If you could only keep one (and only one) each of a shotgun, a rifle and a handgun out of your safe forever (no swaps, no changes, no additions). What would they be and why?

For me:
HANDGUN - Ruger GP100 in .357mag -- I prefer my 10mm Sig and 9mm Sigs, but if we are talking for 40 years, and since I primarily carry a handgun as a woods gun, I like the long-term reliability of the revolver and being able to shoot .38spec or .357mag as need presents.

RIFLE - my soon to be built 18" 7x57AI built on a tikka -- short, ultralight, can shoot suppressed or unsupressed, enough cartridge to kill any big game in the lower 48 - If I chose to factor in long-term factory ammo availability I would have picked my Tikka SS in .308Win.

SHOTGUN - Benelli M4 12 gauge synthetic camo (sorry @BrentD) - this thing will shoot and shoot and shoot - my great-grandkids will be shooting this thing with little to no maintenance. I like my 20ga and Beretta 12ga gas and others, but just not as versatile as 12ga and gas requires more cleaning and wood more care.

Well... Never really been "in to" shotguns, so I guess I'll keep the aged Springfield 12ga pump I've used literally my entire life. Hasn't failed me yet.

My rifle will be the Tikka T3X in .308. It's very accurate, I know exactly what it will do when I squeeze the trigger, and it killed just about everything out there at one time or another. But recently put together a 30-06AI that might give it a run, just to new to know yet. We'll see.

My handgun is without question my 1911. Why? Because after the .45 Colt 1911, there really never needed to be another handgun designed; all others are #2 or lower. "Served my country well... For a long time."

Well you've gone and done it...

Rifle: This is a hard one for me - tried/true or new hotness? My Savage 10T in .308 shoots just about anything lights out, and is just a fun gun, vs. CA Ridgeline in .300 PRC that I haven't even shot yet, but have lusted after and saved my pennies for 3 years... I'm gonna have to do it, I'll keep the C.A. 300 PRC just for the potential it has... good hunting rig, fun long range shooter... ya.

Piston: S&W 329 PD all day long. I was worried about it being a wrist breaker, but really, it's not that bad. Even with 305 gr. hard cast bullets, which are substantial, but not what I had built up in my mind.

Shotgun: same old Winchester Model 12 that grandpa gave me from way way back. It's done everything I've needed... but birds really aren't my thing.

Ruger Super Redhawk 44 Magnum Revolver: Totally agree with your reliability comment so that is why I picked my revolver.

Rifle: 300 PRC that his dropped everything that I aimed it at. It is a tack driver. Factory ammo has been amazing and that things shoots great.

Shotgun: Browning Citori O/U 12 gauge. Again, reliability wins out.

Rifle-
Model 70, featherweight, 30-06 (Obvs pre-64 style action)
I will NEVER own one, except in your fantasy world, because it's the magic gun that voids all other excuses to buy a rifle for North America

Handgun-
Python
Your thought exercise reminds me to go find another one

Shotgun-
Beretta 391, 30", 12ga
Not the finest shotgun ever made, but probably the best

Rifle: Howa 30-06. You can load it up or down for anything in North America and it is deadly accurate.

Pistol: Judge. I've got other pistols, but I like how this one feels when I don't need a ccp plus it multi purpose

Shotgun: Mossberg 500 12 ga. I trusted my life to one in Iraq and I still use one for everything from geese to rabbits to doves

This is answers for what I have in stock. I've aquired other guns that would easily make the list, but I'm playing along with the OP's query

Last edited:
Rifle: I literally bought my Savage 110 30-06 for this reason. Couldn't afford multiple rifles, so its the one that I got as a do-all rifle.

Shotgun: Remington 11-87 Sportsman 20 gauge. I hardly use the 12 gauge for anything anymore. Semi automatic and I've never had any reliability issues from it. Handles very smoothly as well.

Pistol: Ruger SR9C 9mm. I dont carry a handgun very often but this one works fine for that but also can take 17 round mags for the range or around the house.

Lets have some fun!

Pistol, couldn't care less ha. Lets say a judge that I don't even own

Shotgun, the ole 870 super mag. Good for goose and pheasant. Do everything guy

Rifle, Weatherby vanguard 2, in 308. Mainly because its my only rifle so wins by default.

I'm a simple man

Guess I’ll play, too!

Rifle: Remington 700 30-06 - Mine is cerakoted, HS Precision stock, & VX3i. I normally hunt with the same rifle in 270 or 25-06 but if we’re limited to one I’d rather have the extra thump of the 165 accubonds

Pistol: S&W model 642 stainless 38 spl - I still haven’t developed an attachment to handguns so I just want something simple and reliable

Shotgun: Remington 870 wingmaster probably in 20 gauge - I gave up wood on the rifle and don’t do much waterfowl anyway. The loads available now in a 20 gauge make me not even consider toting a 12 unless specifically chasing geese

Shotgun: Browning A5 Hunter (12 ga) - I'm terrible at wing shooting, but I do pretty decent with this shotgun compared to my others.

Rifle: Tikka T3 lite (30-06) - This one is tough. I have the same model in .270 and it really gets all the action. But if I have to limit myself to 1, then I'll go with the 30-06 since I have a stockpile of ammo for it in various grains, so it would be a better multi-purpose option.

Pistol: Browning Buckmark .22 - I can't imagine not having a .22 in my life. Since I went with a rifle for big game, I can't keep my Ruger 10-22 or CZ 457 Varmint. So, I had to choose between the Buckmark and my Ruger Mk IV. Almost a toss-up for me, but the Browning it is.

Also, I'm glad I don't live in a world where I have to make such choices...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back